Electric vehicles: 150 charging stations to be opened around Thailand next year

webfact

150 charging stations to be opened next year

By The Nation

A total of 150 charging stations will be opened around Thailand in a pilot project for promoting the use of electric vehicles, the chief of the Energy Policy and Planning Office said on Thursday.

Thavarat Sutabutr, the director of the office, said the opening of the charging station has been supported by the Electric Vehicle Association of Thailand.

He said his office had invited interested investors to join the project and so far 101 businessmen had applied to invest in the charging stations.

Next month, the office will receive more applications, he added.

Thavarat said government agencies and state enterprises that operate charging stations would receive “100-per-cent support” for the cost of the station from the Energy Conservation Fund.

Private firms will receive support from the fund at the rate of 30 to 70 per cent of the cost.

The Electric Vehicle Association of Thailand has select 24 qualified operators, 20 of which will provide normal charge services and four others quick charge services.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30331197

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-09

I was only talking to a colleague yesterday on this very subject. Great to see some movement being made on this! We need real private investment in this. Visiting the UK earlier this year after being away for 3 years, charging stations are very noticeable now. Thailand, stop sitting on your hands and really get this going! 

Surely then Thailand will soon be global hub of electric vehicles. I for one cant wait till all those taxi meters, mini vans and all those shitty buses are removed from the roads. This revolution in electric vehicles will kick off soon..right? Surely?

Electric vehicles would only lead to more carnage on the Thai roads as you wouldn't be able to hear the vehicles approaching. Especially dangerous for pedestrians crossing roads....

Carry on dreaming Thailand. Some of the HiSo Thais visit other countries and think it's a great idea, unfortunately they have no idea how things work in their own country...image.gif.6d094e30c5da32dca73405fc98a478d1.gif

Electric vehicles would only lead to more carnage on the Thai roads as you wouldn't be able to hear the vehicles approaching. Especially dangerous for pedestrians crossing roads....

Carry on dreaming Thailand. Some of the HiSo Thais visit other countries and think it's a great idea, unfortunately they have no idea how things work in their own country...image.gif.6d094e30c5da32dca73405fc98a478d1.gif

It would be all right for taxis though - the constant whining noise about "Uber" from the front right-hand seat would give ample warning of their approach...

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This is a real step in the right direction. Thailand is perhaps 10-20 years behind the curve, when it comes to alternative energy, environmental policy, and moving into the future in a sustainable fashion. This might be a good first step, to encourage the production of electric, or hybrid vehicles here. They stopped production on the Prius in Thailand. Probably due to it being severely overpriced. 

1 hour ago, Ceruhe said:

Still dont understand the hype about electric cars so far....someone explain please.

Have a look here. http://www.aeva.asn.au/wiki/knowledge-base  A good resource.

The bottom line is EV's will displace ICE cars eventually and big uptake by way of new cars is just around the corner.  Few will want the headaches and unreliability of ICE cars and the cost of running and maintaining them. 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Electric Vehicle Association of Thailand has select 24 qualified operators, 20 of which will provide normal charge services and four others quick charge services.

"The typical charge time for pure-electric cars using a standard UK home wall socket is between six and eight hours. PHEVs and E-REVs take much less time to charge because they have smaller batteries. Most new pure EVs can also use rapid charging points that can top up the batteries to 80% capacity in around 30 minutes."

5 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Unfortunately I can envisage a couple of crocodile clips tethered to the overhead cables, a length of bell wire down to the side walk with bare ends ready to be pushed into a vehicle charging socket  :whistling:

LOL. It will certainly be a challenge considering the electric in/around our village frequently. I have never seen electric go out so often and for so long. It's been like this for a very long time and I don't suspect anything will change anytime soon.

5 hours ago, merlin2002 said:

No problem, they have developed new technology to combat the problem.

Image result for playing cards on bicycle wheel

2 hours ago, scotchonrocks said:

Have a look here. http://www.aeva.asn.au/wiki/knowledge-base  A good resource.

The bottom line is EV's will displace ICE cars eventually and big uptake by way of new cars is just around the corner.  Few will want the headaches and unreliability of ICE cars and the cost of running and maintaining them. 

There going to eventually be a shift to something better (in whichever form) isnt exactly surprising here. The current, kinda sole, argument for EV so far has been "it's better for the enviroment" which could be true if we'd actually run on renewable energy sources but so far we are still reliant on coal/nuclear, which in turn means those EV car are powered by coal at the end of the day.

I've also read, but not verified and of course long forgotten where, the initial cost of EV motors or whatever part it was, is (much) higher than the regular ICE is and comparing it to something like a 15 year breakdown, there is virtually nothing gained either way.

I was in Europe this last summer and i had the use of an E-car.

Absolutely fantastic!Very nice to drive and it had all the bells and whistles.

Could go about 180 km on a full charge which is plenty around town or for a short trip.You can charge it at home easily and also at charging stations.The roofs of the charging stations were all solar panels,it is a bit expensive to use those stations but it is ok when you are in a bind.

No oil changes,no gearbox and therfore not a lot of maintenance.

I like them a lot but i also like my old 4x4 diesel pickup i have here.

When time comes to get another vehicle i will surely look into Ecars.

12 hours ago, jvs said:

I was in Europe this last summer and i had the use of an E-car.

Absolutely fantastic!Very nice to drive and it had all the bells and whistles.

Could go about 180 km on a full charge which is plenty around town or for a short trip.You can charge it at home easily and also at charging stations.The roofs of the charging stations were all solar panels,it is a bit expensive to use those stations but it is ok when you are in a bind.

No oil changes,no gearbox and therfore not a lot of maintenance.

I like them a lot but i also like my old 4x4 diesel pickup i have here.

When time comes to get another vehicle i will surely look into Ecars.

I think E-cars are fantastic. What I'd rather see first in Thailand are Self Driving Cars.

18 hours ago, tso310 said:

150 around Thailand. Will one be able to get from one to the next on a full charge. I think we all know the answer.

That is still only an average of 2 per province, and as we can expect Bangkok to get the lion's share, that will not leave many for the rest of the country!

20 hours ago, starky said:

Surely then Thailand will soon be global hub of electric vehicles. I for one cant wait till all those taxi meters, mini vans and all those shitty buses are removed from the roads. This revolution in electric vehicles will kick off soon..right? Surely?

Sure mate, that's why Volkswagon and other huge carcompanies are opening new factories for electric vehicles in .......uhh....China...

Electric cars are great in isolation but it sort of defeats the purpose if the electricity to run them is coming from a coal/gas power, non renewable, CO2 producing power station.

Its not so much the electricity, its the batteries. If you factor in the CO2 produced, and use of non renewable resources, during manufacture to produce the weird and wonderful alloys and compounds. Replace the batteries a couple of times over the life of the car and the cost, renewable resources, and CO2 offsets the cost savings and CO2 reduction of the electric car.

Its moving the cost, non renewable recources and CO2 production, away from the car, and into the power station and the battery factory.

Edited by Peterw42

On 11/10/2017 at 9:47 AM, Peterw42 said:

Electric cars are great in isolation but it sort of defeats the purpose if the electricity to run them is coming from a coal/gas power, non renewable, CO2 producing power station.

Its not so much the electricity, its the batteries. If you factor in the CO2 produced, and use of non renewable resources, during manufacture to produce the weird and wonderful alloys and compounds. Replace the batteries a couple of times over the life of the car and the cost, renewable resources, and CO2 offsets the cost savings and CO2 reduction of the electric car.

Its moving the cost, non renewable recources and CO2 production, away from the car, and into the power station and the battery factory.

True, the immediate effect would be less road side pollution, but with regards to power plants - they can be lobbied to improve their pollution, become more efficient etc. 

On 11/10/2017 at 6:55 AM, selftaopath said:

I think E-cars are fantastic. What I'd rather see first in Thailand are Self Driving Cars.

my gawd, man, don't you read the news?!

thailand has these already, in fact it's the

self driving car hub!

welll, judging by the excuses for the road

carnage anyways....