Thai Post’s 12 Hilarious Reasons Not To Google Translate Thai

webfact

10 hours ago, Next stop NK said:

Thai's have the 3rd worst English skills in Asia and dropping rapidly under the last few years. This should be the real subject (and I guess Google translate can only be as good as the people being able to do a proper translation)

That's not too bad considering you are talking about only one Thai.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My GF still asks me "Why you no stop fire?" when she means "Why don't you turn out the light?".
Somebody gave a goofy explanation for why, but IMO it is due to an English teacher who does not know the subject very well.
I am awful at Thai, partly because my hearing is crap and I just have a difficult time sorting the tonalities.

Edited by Bill Miller
AFter three years here I write Tinglish more more.

15 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

My GF still asks me "Why you no stop fire?" when she means "Why don't you turn out the light?".
Somebody gave a goofy explanation for why, but IMO it is due to an English teacher who does not know the subject very well.
I am awful at Thai, partly because my hearing is crap and I just have a difficult time sorting the tonalities.

Your GF's question is correct, as "close fire" is the correct translation into Thai of "switch off the light".

But then again, we live in country where they eat on the floor, sleep on tables, plastic bags, garden hoses and ropes are sold by weight ......... once you get the grip of all this it is fun to live here. You will get fined for not wearing a seat belt when driving while the back of the pick-up is loaded with people - go figure! 

2 hours ago, elgenon said:

Now I AM confused. I read a post the other day that said there was no Google translate for Thai to English.

Is there or isn't there?

The phone app definitely does.

I just checked the website as well and it has about 125 languages including Thai.

(You can also brush up on your Gujarati, Igbo, and Scots Gaelic).

Edited by JimmyJ

13 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

The phone app definitely does.

I just checked the website as well and it has about 125 languages including Thai.

(You can also brush up on your Gujarati, Igbo, and Scots Gaelic).

Not to mention Klingon (sorry, that seems to have been removed...)

Edited by Jonah Tenner

22 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

The "fire" she means "fai" ไฟ (electric) Now all you have to is explain the turn off part. "pit" ปิด :)

21 hours ago, elgenon said:

Now I AM confused. I read a post the other day that said there was no Google translate for Thai to English.

Is there or isn't there?

Type this into google.....translate english to thai. The longer the sentence the worse it is.

These site help a lot......They translate both ways, as does google. Just cross reference every thing.

http://www.thai-language.com/dict/search

https://www.thai2english.com/dictionary/hello.html

On 11/9/2017 at 10:57 PM, Next stop NK said:

I don't live in Thailand, but Thailand gets around 30 million tourists per year (probably double if you ask TOT), , and laws prohibit guides to be non-thai. A country getting around 2.3 trillion TBH revenues per year in income from tourists cannot speak an international language, neither read real news from abroad except the censored news. I fail to see your point. Also, Thais speak one language only, many people from other nations speak two or three (I speak four), and you still say there is not a problem in the education system?

Most Thais speak 3 or 4 languages, Issan, Lanna, Central, Southern, and assorted tribal languages.

Just now, faraday said:

So as Google Translate is rubbish, what's the alternative?

There are good websites, but they too long winded to use one for a quick answer.

I've always found google translate the best for  Thai/English.

But I can spot the mistakes and correct them myself.

Some foreign films available on the internet for download don't have English subtitles and none can be found anywhere else (It hasn't yet been released in an English language country, or perhaps it never will).

And sometimes well meaning people create subtitles using Google Translate.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work very well.

Or, in Google Translate, that well work not too very.

Edited by JimmyJ

1 hour ago, chrissables said:

The "fire" she means "fai" ไฟ (electric) Now all you have to is explain the turn off part. "pit" ปิด :)

Yes, as  literal translation I understand the same word is used in Thai, but if someone is supposedly teaching how to communicate effectively then it would make sense to explain that " fire, light, and electricity"  have different meanings in the target language.

I believe it would be easier to teach the correct words at first rather than allowing innacurate information to take root and try to remedy later.

Rather like that phonetic reading program that has produced a nearly illiterate generation, including my youngest sister. Teach them to read an artificial construct, then tell them "Ok, now you need to forget all that you have spent several years learning, and relearn how the language is actually written."

33 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Yes, as  literal translation I understand the same word is used in Thai, but if someone is supposedly teaching how to communicate effectively then it would make sense to explain that " fire, light, and electricity"  have different meanings in the target language.

I believe it would be easier to teach the correct words at first rather than allowing innacurate information to take root and try to remedy later.

Rather like that phonetic reading program that has produced a nearly illiterate generation, including my youngest sister. Teach them to read an artificial construct, then tell them "Ok, now you need to forget all that you have spent several years learning, and relearn how the language is actually written."

The "fire" is not fire, the word for fire is different. That is causing the lack of understanding, i presume she is saying "fai" and the word "fire" is assumed, but meant as electric because she is mixing the two languages.  

But of course mixing the languages does not help.

On 9.11.2017 at 10:25 PM, observer90210 said:

You have a point, but what about the Thai skills amongst westerners ? Is it any better my dear chap ?....not in my case anyhow !!

Did you have Thai classes at school ?

Learning a new language at retirement age is a different story.

Yes, I know, it's just an excuse for being lazy.

Sure I am lazy and I think, finally I'm etitled to it.

:smile:

4 days ago 3 of us went for a ride out and on the way back a new coffee shop was seen...................can I say it ?    It was Phukin Coffee , it was Phukin closed so no Phukin coffee , Hope to find it again on Sunday as another ride out that way , I wonder if it will be Phukin open.

18 minutes ago, maximillian said:

Did you have Thai classes at school ?

Learning a new language at retirement age is a different story.

Yes, I know, it's just an excuse for being lazy.

Sure I am lazy and I think, finally I'm etitled to it.

:smile:

No never had Thai courses and that's why I gave in a previous post, full credit to my driver in Thailand who speaks better english the me thai.

But pal....being lazy....what a luxury....enjoy it,...really......I love being lazy and turning the other way around and dropping to sleep...especially after my maiden entertains me :cheesy:

5 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

4 days ago 3 of us went for a ride out and on the way back a new coffee shop was seen...................can I say it ?    It was Phukin Coffee , it was Phukin closed so no Phukin coffee , Hope to find it again on Sunday as another ride out that way , I wonder if it will be Phukin open.

That sounds ok,  I wonder when can go and try Phukin coffee. ?  I would like to try a Phukin coffee. I wonder what the price is for a Phukin coffee  ?   Maybe Phukin coffee is pretty damn good  ?? :shock1:

3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Some foreign films available on the internet for download don't have English subtitles and none can be found anywhere else (It hasn't yet been released in an English language country, or perhaps it never will).

And sometimes well meaning people create subtitles using Google Translate.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work very well.

Or, in Google Translate, that well work not too very.

Always fun watching an English language movie in the cinema with Thai subtitles ......... heeeey, that isn't what they just said ........

i have also

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Always fun watching an English language movie in the cinema with Thai subtitles ......... heeeey, that isn't what they just said ........

Thais even translate Mr Bean into Thai , and he does not speak just utters a few words of gibberish  yet he is given a full conversation in Thai . Thais do not understand British humour without their whizz bangs and boings sound effects

5 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Phukin hilarious, best laugh for a long time well done. In a damaged and dangerous world it is good to know that some one can raise a good innocent laugh.

1 hour ago, Janner1 said:

Phukin hilarious, best laugh for a long time well done. In a damaged and dangerous world it is good to know that some one can raise a good innocent laugh.

Yes Janner 1 , I will take a pic of the sign tomorrow and post on November photos . BTW are you from Plymouth being a Janner 1 ?

On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:20 PM, Next stop NK said:

Thai's have the 3rd worst English skills in Asia and dropping rapidly under the last few years. This should be the real subject (and I guess Google translate can only be as good as the people being able to do a proper translation)

Your guess is completely wrong.