SURVEY: Sexual harassment -- How do our members rank?

Scott

SURVEY: Sexual harassment--how do our members rank?  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There have been numerous threads about sexual harassment that include big names in the entertainment industry, politicians in several countries and others.   Which of the following statements would best apply to you and your past behavior since you reached the age of majority?

Please remember that the votes cannot be publicly seen and you are free to leave a comment.

Yes.   I suspect many have found ourselves in a sticky situation at one time or another.   I once met a very nice looking gal in the bar and when the bar closed, we went back to my place.   We were talking about family and I mentioned my brother was a school bus driver.   When I said his name, she responded that she knew him because her older sister took that bus to school!   

Upon realizing that even though we met in a bar, this gal was not of legal age.   Nothing sexual happened, but we were imbibing which would have meant providing alcohol to a minor, at least.   

There should be another option in this poll.

No, I have never done anything that could have resulted in legal consequences at the time I did them but with all this recent malarkey about bad personal choices, poor judgement, dates gone wrong and hands on bums that are masquerading as serious serial sexual deviant behavior with all sorts of vain celebrities, wannabe's and otherwise weak-willed people who, having totally missed the celebrity bus, are now jumping on this cheap publicity bandwagon, I am guilty as sin.

To be on the safe side: Don't mention any thing like " You are wearing a nice dress" or  "You wear your thight fitting jeans well". = According to some "legal-eagles", this qualifies as "sexual harassement" in Europe.

Once this sociological behavioral pattern takes hold in Thailand, tourism will suffer greatly. :wink:

No, I have never done anything that could be considered illegal and quite frankly, I think that the present "coming out" of the awful behaviour and attitudes of "powerful" people towards women is most welcome. It is time that men realise that women are their equals and are not there to be treated as sex objects, or symbols.

However, if complimenting a lady , helping a lady into a coat or a jacket, getting up when a lady joins or leaves the table, or similar acts of good manners, are considered as sexual harassment, I am a culprit, and a big one!

Might be interesting to see what results a similar poll (obviously with a question set to determine if women felt they were victims of sexual predators) would produce in the Ladies in Thailand forum. No pun intended, but this poll is a bit one-eyed. What a man might consider as harmless flirting may be viewed completely differently by a woman.

23 minutes ago, tigermoth said:

I have been subject to behaviour by women to me that at the current rate of disclosure where even a suggestive wink seems to constitute sexual harassment I have been sexually harassed. I wonder how many women are guilty of this????

Surprised no one has mentioned the harrassment from ladyboys and ladies here. 

While I have posted that I join in condemning harassment, use of power to trade for sex... I had my wife say, at one point, that I viewed her as a sex object. I readily confessed that if she were a man I would not be in the same relationship, that if there was no sex, I would not be in the relationship sooo ... yes hopefully, mutual sex objects is a large measure of the relationship between a man and a woman IMHO. Oh, she is an ex-wife, the Mother of my Sons and I wish her only good. I am retired in a country where viewing a woman as a sexual being is not questioned in the same manner as my home country. Buddha be praised!

12 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

While I have posted that I join in condemning harassment, use of power to trade for sex... I had my wife say, at one point, that I viewed her as a sex object. I readily confessed that if she were a man I would not be in the same relationship, that if there was no sex, I would not be in the relationship sooo ... yes hopefully, mutual sex objects is a large measure of the relationship between a man and a woman IMHO. Oh, she is an ex-wife, the Mother of my Sons and I wish her only good. I am retired in a country where viewing a woman as a sexual being is not questioned in the same manner as my home country. Buddha be praised!

Your post comes closest to what I was about to say myself. Why would there be two sexes if  they were not to feel sexually attracted to each other ? I condemn force and insulting behaviour. But I do not really believe that a woman would feel offended if she were to receive an appreciative look from another -- man or woman. That appreciation could be for any attraction - dress, physique, conduct.... Offence is taken when force or insult figures. That applies to a man as well. If I were walking with my wife on the beach and some guys were to just smile at  her, even cast an appreciative  look  at her, I wouldn't mind. But if that look were a leer, that would be bad. It gets worse if they were to make a pass. Why's that so hard for guys to grasp ? Similarly, if a guy were to be groped by another guy, and he's not into that, he's going to take offence too. There's nothing inherently wrong in guys and girls regarding each other as sex objects if they were simultaneously respectful of their other virtues and abilities. 

5 minutes ago, HereIAm said:

Your post comes closest to what I was about to say myself. Why would there be two sexes if  they were not to feel sexually attracted to each other ? I condemn force and insulting behaviour. But I do not really believe that a woman would feel offended if she were to receive an appreciative look from another -- man or woman. That appreciation could be for any attraction - dress, physique, conduct.... Offence is taken when force or insult figures. That applies to a man as well. If I were walking with my wife on the beach and some guys were to just smile at  her, even cast an appreciative  look  at her, I wouldn't mind. But if that look were a leer, that would be bad. It gets worse if they were to make a pass. Why's that so hard for guys to grasp ? Similarly, if a guy were to be groped by another guy, and he's not into that, he's going to take offence too. There's nothing inherently wrong in guys and girls regarding each other as sex objects if they were simultaneously respectful of their other virtues and abilities. 

I was with a pretty Thai friend walking in a park one time and to Farang guys were watching her. She asked if I were jealous. I replied, "why should I be jealous, you chose to be with me" (ha! Well in that moment at least).

15 hours ago, blackcab said:

Could have resulted in legal consequences in which country?

Kissing your wife in public could get you jailed in Saudi, as could randomly addressing a woman in public.

Just being in the same car as a woman not a relative ( without a married couple also in the car ) could get jail in Saudi.

Had I entered a female patient's room for any other reason than a life saving emergency their husband/ father could legally have killed me. I was informed of that at orientation for new staff.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

1 hour ago, HereIAm said:

If I were walking with my wife on the beach and some guys were to just smile at  her, even cast an appreciative  look  at her, I wouldn't mind. But if that look were a leer, that would be bad.

One man's appreciative look can be interpreted as a leer by some jealous d head guys.

In the west, any look is interpreted as a leer by young women. It didn't use to be like that in LOS, but young women here are becoming contaminated by western BS PC.

I really liked Paul's "grand dad's" discourse on staring at women on "A Hard Day's Night"- classic.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

LOL. I would venture that the number of men that want to marry unattractive, frigid women is exceedingly small.

Unfortunately, in practice it seems that a lot do.

These folks fly in a different circle than most of us. Up there the currency of the day is POWER, and it is used all the time to get laid. I only have money and even then it is mostly only good to get laid. Same behaviour, different currency.