Pattaya's billion baht CCTV slammed as officials admit more than half of them are not working

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pattaya has spent a billion baht on 2,112 cameras since 2003,

That's 473, 484 Baht per camera. Those cameras should rock. Or maybe the cameras were a tad overpriced, with the difference finding its way to someone else?

I don't argue that the cost is ridiculous.

But when you are calculating the costs, don't forget to include the connection to the control room with  monitors and staff to watch and record each camera 'supposedly' around the clock.

It is still a ridiculous number - I realize that.

10 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

And Thai installers. lol

I agree installers, maintenance. Actually Chinese cameras (HiKvision) outspec Pelco and are half the price. Installation is everything when it comes to operation.

Edited by jackh

Isn't anyone testing the camera after each installation. Are 2000 cameras installed at once without any reference to which belongs to where? Or there simply isnt any cameras installed on half spots but only the frame and someone got rich .

Edited by sead

80% would be workable by this week.”

So why are only 50% working today then?

Over the years there have been 31 separate projects in Pattaya to install CCTV.”

Money disappearing down the pockets of “officials” on each occasion.

10 hours ago, uktony said:

Can I just point out that "57% were of any use," is NOT "more than half of them are not working"

"spent a billion baht on 2,112 cameras since 2003, said Surasak Janthasomboon in charge of communications technology at City Hall.

But he admitted to Manager that only 47% of them are working"

47% is overall. 57% is a small area.

4 hours ago, lvr181 said:

LOS = Land of Scams even at "official" levels. Shame on Government. :post-4641-1156693976: 

No responsibility, no accountability. Thai 4.0? You're joking! Grandiose projects driven by chicken brains.

around 6 years ago BKK was the same - mostly empty camera boxes -

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

That's 473, 484 Baht per camera. Those cameras should rock. Or maybe the cameras were a tad overpriced, with the difference finding its way to someone else?

Of course there is more than just cameras, there is a lot of additional hardware and a lot for labor, (however most likely did not go to the labor force) but still almost ฿500,000 per cam to include support hardware is still way out of line. 

15 hours ago, z42 said:

Disgusting and immoral. It just simply isn't possible to trust any civil servants in this country. 

How is this any different from out and out thievery?

It is what it is 'z'. 

Either the corruptive people do their best to gain as much as possible and if there are any Thais complaining about corruption it's just because they aren't in the position to share in the cake. 

It's sad, but again...it is what it is.

20 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Money dripping into so many different greedy pockets with little or no consequence for those involved
Just seems to be a standard working practice here

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

And yet the country / economy ,thanks to FDI and tourism, is doing well. Instead of basket case. Guess Thailand gets cake and eating it too

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya authorities have admitted that more than half of the CCTV cameras in the city are not working.

Nine months ago (!):

• Pattaya city councillor Pol Maj-Gen Anant Charoenchasri was Thursday appointed the new Pattaya mayor by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha, invoking his special powers vested by Section 44 of the interim constitution.
  • Under the executive order issued by the prime minister, the new mayor of Pattaya city is authorized to handpick four deputies to assist him in his performance of duty.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/969200-pm-appoints-new-mayor-for-pattaya/

Was the sudden disclosure on defunct CCTV's by "Pattaya authorities" driven more by an empty bucket of money - to be replenished with another bucket by another new Pattaya authorities?

The perception of continuing corruption under a junta-appointed city government raises the issue of whether a junta is really serious about preventing, detecting and punishing corruption. If Prayut allows Anant to remain in office ... there's the answer.

What is more shameful is that they should be being used to catch crims.  However, as per past experience, even when the cops have a full face picture of the robber they still do nothing. I should add that all the cameras in places where I go through a red light appear to be working!

But this has come too late for the victim of the accident in which a motorcycle collided with a pick-up at the exit of the newly constructed tunnel heading towards South Pattaya last week.

YES !!!! i was awaiting this !!!!

SPEEDLIMIT 80 !!!! far to high and even people drive with 120,140

leaving the tunnel .... is a death end, bcs passing vehicles to the u-turn , cant see speeding drivers out of the tunnel !!!!

yes this idiot want camera ...ahhh  to see him speeding..ahhh  cant see on camera

waiting for the 2nd,3,4,5,6,7,8...death  on this place

A WORKING SPEEDING CAMERA IN THE TUNNEL WOULD HELP, and a heavy fine for the picture taken

I have 12 cameras around the property but keeping them working is almost a full time project.

Rarely do the cameras themselves go down it's usually the mechanical joints on the cable runs that corrode over and stop the signal, other problems including rats and squirrels eating the cables. 

I am moving away from cables to wifi cameras because of this 

31 minutes ago, CatCage said:

I have 12 cameras around the property but keeping them working is almost a full time project.

Rarely do the cameras themselves go down it's usually the mechanical joints on the cable runs that corrode over and stop the signal, other problems including rats and squirrels eating the cables. 

I am moving away from cables to wifi cameras because of this 

I think that, if I needed 12 cameras to feel safe, I would move.

14 hours ago, jackh said:

I agree installers, maintenance. Actually Chinese cameras (HiKvision) outspec Pelco and are half the price. Installation is everything when it comes to operation.

True. Hikvision cameras seem working well enough in the USA and Europe.

It may not be a household name in the US, but many Americans have surely come under the gaze of a product made by the Chinese company Hikvision. As the Wall Street Journal reports, Hikvision is the No. 2 seller of surveillance equipment in the US and is No. 1 in Europe.

--http://www.newser.com/story/251508/china-is-watching-us-or-at-least-chinese-cameras-are.html

The mighty TVF Tea Money Chorus has really assembled in full force for this thread, nearly as much as for a massage parlor raid. :smile:

Has anyone debunked this?  Is this the price for only Pattaya, and not the entire country??  Over 30Million $$ for a few thousand cameras?? and now half dont work.  The illustrious PM should look into this, this is looney toons.  :post-4641-1156693976::post-4641-1156693976::post-4641-1156693976:

21 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Has anyone debunked this?  Is this the price for only Pattaya, and not the entire country??  Over 30Million $$ for a few thousand cameras?? and now half dont work.  The illustrious PM should look into this, this is looney toons.  :post-4641-1156693976::post-4641-1156693976::post-4641-1156693976:

ehhh..... yea  , dats right  , look into it  ,  dat's da ticket  .