I choose Thailand.....not sure why?

hugh mckee

I recently bought a condo off -plan in Pattaya and now sorely regret it, I am currently in Pattaya on holiday,

have been many times before, maybe not as good as once was and everytime I come on to Thai Visa, something I only started doing after I purchased my condo I read so many hellish things about Thailand and the more I read the more I question my decision to buy a condo, the things said about Thailand on here make it sound like a despicable country and a terrible choice for a retirement holiday home and I wish I had started reading Thai Visa before I purchased as I'd never had bought it.

ok I was naive and stupid and my own fault and I will live with and deal with the consequences and most likely sell at a loss and lick my wounds for my stupidity, life is too short and thought Thailand could be my answer to improve my lonely middle aged life but was naive and now my eyes have been opened by all the negative stuff on here and realise Thailand is ok for short holidays but to live for long periods I now think is not a good idea, the negative guys have a very loud voice on here and many have not a single good word to say about Thailand but I'm listening and many things they say are or could be accurate and I'm asking myself  "do I want to live in such a country?

maybe I've made some of these guys happy wth my honesty and they'll take pleasure in writing what an idiot I am but really I am just a faceless nobody to them and would hate to be such a sad person as that who gets joy from a unknown stranger, I'll recover from whatever loss I take and I'll look elsewhere and put it down to experience and more stupidity from me and move on and now take the inevitable stress and pain, I've given myself a lot of upcoming hassle now but don't want to live in Thailand any more, there is just too many bad things.

Edited by hugh mckee

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Here It Is said:

Can't be that bad then.

it's not, been to phuket, samui, chiang mai and always come back to pattaya and that's is the reason I choose but was naive to all the going's on in Thailand and did not realise until reading on here of all this stuff I now read about, sure fine for holidays but maybe not fine for long term?.....maybe I listen to these negative guys too much?....they have a strong and loud voice and they've got to me

2 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

Can't be that bad then.

Never get pulled down from any ranting from others, just ignore their BS. They just want to pull you down at their low level.

Check out things for yourself.

If you do leave, at least you have the merit of having tried.

But before, try to remember what made you come over at the first place and I'm sure you'll find some reasons to stay on.

Nothing is better or worse here or elsewhere. You have frustrated, negative, dishonest, agressive and rude people all over.

Look at the good things around you, as I'm sure there are many. And then enjoy what life has to offer in your present situation...

Easier said then done, I agree....but don't do things in a haste now that you have purchased property. At worse, you could always rent it out.

Wish you all the best.

Edited by observer90210

the negative guys have a very loud voice on here and many have not a single good word to say about Thailand

There's many a day I could write like that after some problem or going to immigration, but I'd still rather live here than in the cold place. I'd even rather live in Pattaya than where I am.

6 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Dont' get put away from any ranting from others, just ignore their BS.

Check out things for yourself.

If you do leave, at least you have the merit of having tried.

But before, try to remember what made you come over at the first place and I'm sure you'll find some reasons to stay on.

Nothing is better or worse here or elsewhere. You have frustrated, negative, agressive, rude people all over.

Look at the good things around you, as I'm sure there are many. And then enjoy what life has to offer in your present situation...

thanks, honestly if I was to make a post of the things that have worried me that I have recently read on Thai Visa, it would be an incredibly long post and much of it very serious stuff and it has put a big question mark in my brain and had me asking myself some serious questions.

I may have to make the best of it as one of the things I've discovered from reading on here is that the condo market is dire so I may not even have much choice? hope not, I've never had a bad holiday in Thailand, maybe I should have stuck to that and I suppose was greedy wanting more?

Edited by hugh mckee

I'm sure not what the point of your post is? Are you looking for people to come on here and say "dont listen to all the negative stuff it's really great!" ....because truth is there will always be mixed opinions and at the end of the day yours is the only one that matters. One persons "despicable" is a others "heaven"so trust your own judgement
It seems like you may have jumped in a bit quick buying an off plan condo but if Pattaya is where you want to be then so be it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

4 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

thanks, honestly if I was to make a post of the things that have worried me that I have recently read on Thai Visa, it would

be an incredibly long post and much of it very serious stuff and it has put a big question mark in my brain and had me asking

myself some serious questions.

I may have to make the best of it as one of the things I've discovered from reading on here is that the condo market is dire so I may not even have much choice? hope not, I've never had a bad holiday in Thailand, maybe I should have stuck to that and I suppose was greedy wanting more?

Then carry on enjoying your holiday each time you come in your condo and consider yourself lucky and happy that you don't have to pay for your lodging !!

And remember, many on forums rant, including myself, but take it on a shared basis. A bit serious, a bit cynical and a bit as a joke.

It's not greed to invest in a house or condo, I find that sensible. Much more sensible then blowing away your cash in bars, hookers, drugs, cars or what ever. Don't feel so much doubt, don't worry as things are not all that bad, enjoy your holiday. Wish you all the best.

Edited by observer90210

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I'm sure not what the point of your post is? Are you looking for people to come on here and say "dont listen to all the negative stuff it's really great!" ....because truth is there will always be mixed opinions and at the end of the day yours is the only one that matters. One persons "despicable" is a others "heaven"so trust your own judgement
It seems like you may have jumped in a bit quick buying an off plan condo but if Pattaya is where you want to be then so be it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I'm not sure the point of my post either? and you are right I was a bit quick but I'm in my 50's, how long can I wait? I decided to take the leap and buy a condo and never once read Thai Visa and then started reading, maybe looking for positive messages as it was a big decision for me, looking for reassurance I'd done the right thing, sadly for me that's not what I read and completely surprised by so much negativity so instead of reassurance got the complete opposite and now regret my decision and admit I am an idiot.

before I'd only read barstool banter on pattaya addicts and maybe I should have stuck to that?

4 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Dear me. You want to sell up and leave because you read ThaiVisa? And believe all the posts? Deary me. Sort your life out man!

haha, was trying to sort it out or improve it, that why I bought the condo and yes I do worry about the things I read on here, that's just the way I am....think too much

not even in the condo, it's not finished yet.............don't worry all the names people

can think to call me, I'm calling myself worse

Edited by hugh mckee

I'm not sure the point of my post either? and you are right I was a bit quick but I'm in my 50's, how long can I wait? I decided to take the leap and buy a condo and never once read Thai Visa and then started reading, maybe looking for positive messages as it was a big decision for me, looking for reassurance I'd done the right thing, sadly for me that's not what I read and completely surprised by so much negativity so instead of reassurance got the complete opposite and now regret my decision and admit I am an idiot.

before I'd only read barstool banter on pattaya addicts and maybe I should have stuck to that?

First of all you need to stop calling yourself an idiot. You made a decision rightly or wrongly to buy a condo in Pattaya. I'm not sure how long you've been coming to Thailand or apart from the places you named if you have seen any other parts of the country.
In my opinion Thailand is a wonderful country, not perfect by far, but is the place where I will be retiring in the future. I have formed this opinion by coming here for many years and at one time I thought Pattaya was where I would end up but after Travelling around now I'm not so sure so have held back on buying anything until I decide.
But.....that's me, things could change but I know this Country is where I want to live my retirement.
This forum has a lot of negativity contributors for a variety of reasons but also a lot of good information from positive contributors who are enjoying life here. Everyone's circumstances will be different. You have to bear in mind that a lot of negative stuff can be self induced.
Good luck. Relax, it will be what you make it.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

You only read that forum on pa and none of the other sub sections - Pattaya Expats, Newbie Advice, etc etc?

The Barstool Banter section tends to be more oriented towards one part of living in Pattaya so perhaps does not to focus as much on other stuff but there are still plenty of warning posts on there if you read them........

6 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

don't worry all the names people

can think to call me, I'm calling myself worse

Hugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew.  There you go.  

A few dozen daily rants on TV by the expat dispossessed and a million happy stories that you'll never get to hear about.  

I'd visited Thailand a few times in the late 80's and once in the mid-90s.  Years after that, I worked with a guy who'd recently "discovered" Thailand.  Raving about it, hatching plans to buy a condo and retire here and trying to convince me it was a great idea.  I liked Thailand well enough, but it was never someplace I thought I would wan to live.  

Oddly enough, all these years later, here I am in Thailand.  He lives in Texas.  :ermm:

1 hour ago, hugh mckee said:

everytime I come on to Thai Visa, something I only started doing after I purchased my condo I read so many hellish things about Thailand and the more I read the more I question my decision to buy a condo, the things said about Thailand on here make it sound like a despicable country and a terrible choice for a retirement holiday home and I wish I had started reading Thai Visa before I purchased as I'd never had bought it.

Looks like your biggest mistake has been logging on to ThaiVisa.

You have decided to dislike Pattaya because of what others say about it?

Edited by Eff1n2ret

Before, before, before, before anything else, you need to remember that the number of Pattaya expats posting on Thai Visa represent just a tiny fraction of the expats actually living in Pattaya.  So, you start there.  Then, it's obvious that a good many people posting don't actually even live in Pattaya.  They suffer from Pattaya Envy and, yes, it is has some similarities to that other envy that starts with a 'P'.  They wish they were big enough to live in Pattaya but they're small and timid and stuck in some dreary basement in Cornstalk, Nebraska and, for whatever reason, feel that they can comment on all things happening in  Pattaya.  It never fails to amaze me the number of people keeping track from far away on what is happening in Pattaya and they either don't live here or only visit occasionally.  (And, if it is so bad, why do they keep coming back?  )

The other thing to remember is people that are happy are much less likely to write they are happy than those who are unhappy are to write that they are unhappy.  So, you get a lot more complaining than praising on Thai Visa.  Just the way it is and you need to be aware of that and not let it overly cloud the way you feel.  And, that's really the important thing, as some posters have already said.  How do you feel about living here, regardless of anything you have read. You mention that you have been to Pattaya a number of times.  What keeps bringing you back?  You may find that the things that bring you back as a visitor will be just as enjoyable year-round. 

I, myself, do my share of complaining on Thai Visa.  As a year-round resident I feel I can make a comment on the state of the sidewalks, traffic, and so on.  I did the same about where I lived in the US.  That doesn't mean that I don't like living here--just that I am invested in where I live.  I think for a lot of us it's just a way to vent a little.

I urge you to see the Pattaya that is out there beyond Walking Street and Soi 6.   I think too many of the postings on Thai Visa seem to revolve around those two areas and too many people judge Pattaya just by its party element and nothing else.  There's a nice world of interesting people who have made Pattaya their home, some part-time and some full-time.   And, there's lots to do away from the bar scene.  I think it's likely that however you fill your time where you currently live, you will be able to do much of the same things in Pattaya.  Try it for awhile and then decide to stay or leave. 

22 minutes ago, newnative said:

Before, before, before, before anything else, you need to remember that the number of Pattaya expats posting on Thai Visa represent just a tiny fraction of the expats actually living in Pattaya.  So, you start there.  Then, it's obvious that a good many people posting don't actually even live in Pattaya.  They suffer from Pattaya Envy and, yes, it is has some similarities to that other envy that starts with a 'P'.  They wish they were big enough to live in Pattaya but they're small and timid and stuck in some dreary basement in Cornstalk, Nebraska and, for whatever reason, feel that they can comment on all things happening in  Pattaya.  It never fails to amaze me the number of people keeping track from far away on what is happening in Pattaya and they either don't live here or only visit occasionally.  (And, if it is so bad, why do they keep coming back?  )

The other thing to remember is people that are happy are much less likely to write they are happy than those who are unhappy are to write that they are unhappy.  So, you get a lot more complaining than praising on Thai Visa.  Just the way it is and you need to be aware of that and not let it overly cloud the way you feel.  And, that's really the important thing, as some posters have already said.  How do you feel about living here, regardless of anything you have read. You mention that you have been to Pattaya a number of times.  What keeps bringing you back?  You may find that the things that bring you back as a visitor will be just as enjoyable year-round. 

I, myself, do my share of complaining on Thai Visa.  As a year-round resident I feel I can make a comment on the state of the sidewalks, traffic, and so on.  I did the same about where I lived in the US.  That doesn't mean that I don't like living here--just that I am invested in where I live.  I think for a lot of us it's just a way to vent a little.

I urge you to see the Pattaya that is out there beyond Walking Street and Soi 6.   I think too many of the postings on Thai Visa seem to revolve around those two areas and too many people judge Pattaya just by its party element and nothing else.  There's a nice world of interesting people who have made Pattaya their home, some part-time and some full-time.   And, there's lots to do away from the bar scene.  I think it's likely that however you fill your time where you currently live, you will be able to do much of the same things in Pattaya.  Try it for awhile and then decide to stay or leave. 

thank you for your words, as I replied to another poster I'm not really sure what my post was trying to achieve and maybe just wanted to get my thoughts into words, of course I realise there will be a disproportionate amount of negative comments and yes I'm being terrified by them.....yes I like thailand and maybe was seeing things through "rose tinted spectacles" when I decided to buy an expensive condo but the same condo by the beach in Florida or cyprus or the canaries would be double the price and I couldn't afford that so maybe I have to accept that and just get on with it.

my thoughts are sell, try not to lose too much and try and buy elsewhere but I'm sure if I logged into that area's forum they'd be doom and gloom mongers having their say there too, the things I am now reading about Thailand and there are many are putting me off and best thing is to just stop reading them even if that's me burying my head in the sand.

not got a clue really what's going to happen? I do think at this moment better to sell and accept my punishment for my foolishness but hey, I've been here almost 2 weeks and been no sunshine, haha maybe that's all I need to fall back in love with this place???

Edited by hugh mckee

There's real Pattaya and then there's TVF Pattaya. You have to realize the forum is infested with bigots, bashers, whingers, and old fart doomsayers trying give a sense of importance in their superfluous lives. Read this post to realize what's going on:

And it's always been this way.

How many Pattaya Sucks threads do we need anyway?

--Ulysses G, March 9, 2007 08:33 AM

Now I just make fun of their posts whenever possible. I've loved living in Pattaya for years and still do. Take Pattaya as it really is, not as TVF Pattaya bashers say it is. ('Course, if you don't bash, then they'll label you as a wearer of rose-tinted classes, Thai apologist with head in the sand, and the worst term of opprobrium known to any TVF Poster: real estate agent! You know you've made it when you're a real estate agent! :biggrin:) So just learn to

• live and let live,
  • accept the unchangeable,
  • handle problems routinely,
  • interact with Thais well, and simply
  • roll with the flow,

unfazed by the mess and paradox one may naturally expect to encounter in a Third World country.

Maybe read these threads as antidotes. Some positive posts in there: When boredom starts to rule the day, I Love Pattaya, and Why live in Pattaya?.

2 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

There's real Pattaya and then there's TVF Pattaya. You have to realize the forum is infested with bigots, bashers, whingers, and old fart doomsayers trying give a sense of importance in their superfluous lives. Read this post to realize what's going on:

And it's always been this way.

How many Pattaya Sucks threads do we need anyway?

--Ulysses G, March 9, 2007 08:33 AM

Now I just make fun of their posts whenever possible. I've loved living in Pattaya for years and still do. Take Pattaya as it really is, not as TVF Pattaya bashers say it is. ('Course, if you don't bash, then they'll label you as a wearer of rose-tinted classes, Thai apologist with head in the sand, and the worst term of opprobrium known to any TVF Poster: real estate agent! You know you've made it when you're a real estate agent! :biggrin:) So just learn to

• live and let live,
  • accept the unchangeable,
  • handle problems routinely,
  • interact with Thais well, and simply
  • roll with the flow,

unfazed by the mess and paradox one may naturally expect to encounter in a Third World country.

Maybe read these threads as antidotes. Some positive posts in there: When boredom starts to rule the day, I Love Pattaya, and Why live in Pattaya?.

thanks man!

1 minute ago, Here It Is said:

Okay, buying off-plan isn't a great idea but you haven't specified what's gone wrong, if at all.  

So, please provide a straight answer as to what has gone wrong with your off-plan purchase, Hugh?

nothing has gone wrong, after I bought it  I came on here to read that only an idiot buys off plan and that the market is about to crash big time, I try to tell myself these guys are idiots but be lying too if i didn't think what if they are right? what have I done?

I fell in love with the idea of owning my particular condo that's why i bought, it's nowhere near finished yet but when it is next year I think it will be one of the most desirable one bed condos in Pattaya and won't be difficult to sell as has great location next to the beach with uninterrupted sea views, well I hope won't be difficult to sell.

ever since I bought I've became a regular reader on here and to be honest I was clueless about Thailand and many of the things that go on here and much of what I read has made me come to the conclusion that I made a big mistake,

Just now, hugh mckee said:

ever since I bought I've became a regular reader on here and to be honest I was clueless about Thailand and many of the things that go on here and much of what I read has made me come to the conclusion that I made a big mistake,

Nothing has gone wrong to date then.  Why worry about the unknown?

2 minutes ago, hugh mckee said:

nothing has gone wrong, after I bought it  I came on here to read that only an idiot buys off plan and that the market is about to crash big time, I try to tell myself these guys are idiots but be lying too if i didn't think what if they are right? what have I done?

I fell in love with the idea of owning my particular condo that's why i bought, it's nowhere near finished yet but when it is next year I think it will be one of the most desirable one bed condos in Pattaya and won't be difficult to sell as has great location next to the beach with uninterrupted sea views, well I hope won't be difficult to sell.

Just a couple of things, Hugh.  There are probably more negative Thai Visa comments on real estate in Thailand than probably anything else--and some can be downright vicious.  Along with Pattaya Envy, there can be Profit Envy.   In 7 years, my partner and I have bought and sold 2 condos in Rayong and 14 in Pattaya.   We made a profit on every single one of them, never lost a penny.  Now, some we made more on than others but they all turned a profit.

When I mention our track record with condos on Thai Visa, and only in an effort to counteract all the negative comments and present a different outcome, out come plenty of nasty postings accusing me of outright lying, of working for a real estate agency, of urging people to buy condos, and so on.   None is true and I always try to say some people are better off renting and buying is not for everyone.

Nothing is certain in this world but if your condo is next to the beach and has uninterrupted sea views I don't think you will have any trouble selling it--and at a profit.  I say that because each and every one of the condos we bought and sold had a seaview.  We're at the beach--lots of buyers want seaview.  Your condo sounds like one I would fall in love with, too.  Instead of bailing, why not stay the course and see how you like the condo when it's done?  I'll tell you this, once you live with a seaview, it's hard to live anywhere else.