Distance of house to perimeter wall

irlguy1

Hi guys

Does anyone know how close I can build a house to an existing perimeter wall. There is nothing over the wall except a rice field.

I won't have a window on the wall that will be beside the perimeter wall it will be on the opposite wall.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last I heard was that a minimum distance of 2 meters was the legal requisite. However, if there are no windows at all in the wall in question the minimum distance is 1 meter.

Also, rain falling from the roof must not fall on neighboring plot.

Got this information from the local ampur when building our house but that was 2 years ago. Best check at your local amper to check if this info is up to date.

Edited by Denim

The distance from the wall should not be your concern.  It's the distance from the actual property line that you need to worry about.   Is the wall built on the property line, on your property or on neighboring property. I do not know what the code requires, but I would leave at least 1 meter between the wall and the building so that the building can be accessed easily for future repairs and maintenance.

Last I heard was that a minimum distance of 2 meters was the legal requisite. However, if there are no windows at all in the wall in question the minimum distance is 1 meter.
Also, rain falling from the roof must not fall on neighboring plot.

Got this information from the local ampur when building our house but that was 2 years ago. Best check at your local amper to check if this info is up to date.
That's the advice I received when I went with my house modification plans to Pattaya City Hall engineering department.

They checked the plans and said this and that need changing, but, where do you live?

When I told them they said that is an old part of town, don't make too much noise or mess and go ahead with the original plans.
Nice people.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, grollies said:

Are there many rice fields in Bangkok?

In answer to the smart arse comment, yes there are still a few about, and anyway the inference was building in a city or out of city location. 

Strict from a security point of view 1m is the absolute minimum. 1.5 would be better. Do not put any structure against the wall, dog kennel,pool pump house etc.  Do not put the water tank against the wall in the corner etc. Nothing that an intruder could use to climb onto the house roof, down from the wall but more importantly can use to climb out.

To stop intruders we need to remove all the easy means of access so general design considerations are things like not putting any structures within 1 metre of the wall. It is common for Thai architects and builders to do this. So pool equipment buildings, car ports, outside kitchens etc. Also if you will have a tall water storage tank keep that away from the wall. These are usually jammed into the corner.  Tall ornamental plants should be kept 60cm-ish back from the wall.

I have Wasp Security install an electric fence in 2008 at my modest Buriram home. The best money I spent in terms of security. Michael and the Thai staff did a site survey, did a proper install and have helped me maintain the stainless steel electric fence wire and all aspects of the security fence in a professional manner. 

4 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

I am in a moobaan in Chiang Mai and my back kitchen "wall" is literally built on top of the fence. There is a house in the adjacent yard.

Because your kitchen wall is at the fenceline doesnt mean its legal and hence doesn't preclude the authorities from asking for it to be removed if they inspected it and found it to be non compliant.No issue if its never checked but leaves a homeowner at risk if the authorities decided to enforce the law.

12 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Because your kitchen wall is at the fenceline doesnt mean its legal and hence doesn't preclude the authorities from asking for it to be removed if they inspected it and found it to be non compliant.No issue if its never checked but leaves a homeowner at risk if the authorities decided to enforce the law.

Yep, just stating a fact. Actually seems to be a fairly common practice in this relatively new moobaan.

Surely this is a silly question to put on a forum like this.Are you really going to take notice of what anyone says,and if you do,and a man from your local land office or Amphor comes and tells you to "move it over" are you going to tell him he's wrong cos my mate *&^% on the TV said --------------- DUH !!!!!

We have a rice field behind us and we are just outside Bangkok near Minburi. In fact we got loads of rice fields in and around our village.

We went to see the Planning Officer in the local District Office (Khlong Sam Wa) and he was very helpful and basically told us to do what we wanted because they never check. He said if we went round our village we'd see almost every detached house like ours will have built some sort of extension up to or on the boundary and so long as the neighbours don't mind it's ok.

So we built a 2-storey kitchen extension with en-suite over and a window against the back wall overlooking the rice field. Looking across the field most of the houses in the soi the other side have done the same.