The days of skinny Thais are over - Thai women named second fattest in Asia

webfact

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rancid said:

Thais have been getting wealthier to be able to afford highly processed, denatured, Western food. Obesity is the outward manifestation, all the health issues will follow into the later years, which of course will be a boon to the food industries partners in crime, the pharmaceutical industry.

And all the while pharmaceutical puppets, AKA doctors, will happily advise that all is fine and just take another pill. Still to this day westerners are in denial as to the cause of the pervasive diseases that afflict them, despite those following a healthy lifestyle avoiding them. I think I am the only one of my school friends that hasn't been operated on and also on long term medication, yet they think I am the nutter, ah well.

You are so right.  Americans are being stuffed like farm animals on their way to slaughter.  USA is one big farming operation where each cow is milked to the last drop from cradle to grave.

This is world wide and getting worse I would say over eating and processed foods mainly to blame plus lack of exercise

The Airlines are going to have to look at their average weight per passenger 

must be well out of  date

example the lift in a Condo  says maximum  7 people total weight gives  about 74 kilos per person  

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

my new girlfriend works out every day, has abs, weights 100 pounds and is smart as hell. she knows a lot about proper nutrition.

her mother has diabetes and refuses to change her eating habits.

her younger sister is super fat. she showed me a photo of her from just five years ago when she was thin.

NCC1701A  Happy days for you I have Thai Lady 52 weighs 120 pounds She is doing great  Works out and does not drink alcohol . She is trying to get me stop drinking beer and so far i am trying so hard I really am 

1 hour ago, milesinnz said:

absolutely... show me one person who was overweight in a concentration camp... and then we hear the old nonsense "I can't lose weight it's my metabolism/genes/whatever"...

Golly, that's an old one. Actually, your example nicely illustrates why there may well be a genetic disposition (maybe mental as well of physical) to pile on the fat in times of abundance; I bet the fat ones lasted longer than the skinny ones.

7-11. Is there anything in there that doesn't make you fat?

Even a lot of the crisps and corn snacks, which are fattening enough already, but a lot of the weird Thai ones are coated in sugar. Horrible. 

The sugar and syrup in some of the ice teas/coffees have almost made me instantly puke. 

I suspect the fatter ones are more middle class and hi-so, with access to Western fast foods.

In the villages, there are still plenty of skinny people - male and female. Working in the rice fields is hard yakka. Their diet is mostly rice and vegetables, small amount of protein from chooks, frogs and the occasional snake.

1 minute ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

What a shame, even twenty-five years ago there were few lardarses around, now the place is thick with them - and that's just the Thais.

And the tourists and especially the vest-wearing expats.

21 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

I suspect the fatter ones are more middle class and hi-so, with access to Western fast foods.

In the villages, there are still plenty of skinny people - male and female. Working in the rice fields is hard yakka. Their diet is mostly rice and vegetables, small amount of protein from chooks, frogs and the occasional snake.

Statistically, I don't think that's true. While in the countryside working class people may be thinner due to harder physical labour and a comparative lack of access to processed food and drink, there's no doubt the inexorable spread of the likes of CP Group and their over-sugared, over-sodiumed, over-preserved but tasty and innovative products will continue to enslave the unwary and the uneducated, just as similar companies have done to people in the West. It's a worldwide problem now, driven by huge budgets and skilful marketing and lobbying, and it is leading to the deliberate and scientific addiction of whole populations.

It's particularly sad in Thailand, a country with such a wealth of traditionally cheap, nutritious and generally healthy food that is fast being supplemented and even replaced by garbage.

Unfortunately, I think we ain't seen nothing yet.

Edited by PerkinsCuthbert

I believe that in Isaan the main problem is polished Sticky Rice. Rice has 2 different starches Amylose and Amylopectin. While Amylose has a relatively low Glycemic Index (GI) Amylopectin has a very high one. As Sticky Rice is high in Amylopectin its GI is at the same level as industrial cane sugar.

Accordingly traditional Isaan eat several times a day the (glycemic) equivalent of some hundert gram of white sugar. Diabetes is the result.

It is not without reason that the late kind promoted brown rice which has a much lower GI.

Practical problem: most of the toll millers where the farmers mill their sticky paddy to rice do not offer to produce brown (and farmers prefer white as for the more pleasant texture)

If this now is aggrevated by softdrinks and kfc .....

A lot of Thai food contains a lot of sugar, added during the cooking process but an awful lot is fried as well so it's not as healthy as it is made out to be (purely my opinion of course, so no need to crucify me) 

Then there is McDonalds, Burger King, Pizza Hut, KFC, Dunkin Donuts, Dairy Queen, Svensons, and of course all the local equivalents, they all play their part in this World Wide problem.

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

my new girlfriend works out every day, has abs, weights 100 pounds and is smart as hell. she knows a lot about proper nutrition.

her mother has diabetes and refuses to change her eating habits.

her younger sister is super fat. she showed me a photo of her from just five years ago when she was thin.

neat!

Why do people think eating fat makes you fat?  Fat does carry a calorie punch but it does not make you fat in and of itself.  Protein carries a bigger glycemic reaction which triggers the release of insulin which in turn tells the body to store fat.

I have been here for 27 years and the one thing I can agree on is that Thai’s are a great deal fatter today than they were then.  It’s not about exercise.  Exercise makes you healthy but releases virtually no fat reserve.  It’s all about food quantity and nutritional value.  Personally, I find everthing here insanely sweet ... even savory food ... much more so than in the past.  

42 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Statistically, I don't think that's true. While in the countryside working class people may be thinner due to harder physical labour and a comparative lack of access to processed food and drink, there's no doubt the inexorable spread of the likes of CP Group and their over-sugared, over-sodiumed, over-preserved but tasty and innovative products

15Km from my wife's farm in Petchabun to the nearest 7-11 at Lomsak

Hell, her family land in Nan is 17Km of mud track to the nearest paved road.

No fatties in either place.

5 hours ago, trogers said:

Their high fat diet comes mainly from natural fat, like pork belly.

Thais source of fat comes from cheap processed cooking oil.

Artificial vs natural fats

we only use coconut cooking oil now, much healthier, and the experts say it helps stop memory loss in older people. a bit hard to find on supermarket shelves when we find them we buy a few bottles, another thing it is good for 2 years, just a little dearer than the others but well worth it

54 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Statistically, I don't think that's true. While in the countryside working class people may be thinner due to harder physical labour and a comparative lack of access to processed food and drink, there's no doubt the inexorable spread of the likes of CP Group and their over-sugared, over-sodiumed, over-preserved but tasty and innovative products will continue to enslave the unwary and the uneducated, just as similar companies have done to people in the West. It's a worldwide problem now, driven by huge budgets and skilful marketing and lobbying, and it is leading to the deliberate and scientific addiction of whole populations.

It's particularly sad in Thailand, a country with such a wealth of traditionally cheap, nutritious and generally healthy food that is fast being supplemented and even replaced by garbage.

"there's no doubt the inexorable spread of the likes of CP Group and their over-sugared, over-sodiumed, over-preserved but tasty and innovative products will continue to enslave the unwary and the uneducated...........

Went into a recently opened Family Mart at the bottom of my road and was surprised at the junk on sale. I could not believe what I saw.........packets of crisps, similar snacks, sugar and salt laden crap were the predominant items on sale. It was an absolute disgrace IMO.

52 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

When someone starts quoting statistics at me, my BS meter goes to Defcon 4. Unless you can point to an authoritative study which compares rural and city Thais for obesity levels, you are only expressing an opinion.

I live in a  Thai village on and off, so I have the benefit of first-hand observation of rural Thais and shopping malls where the obese Thais are. Most of the rural Thais can't even afford the bus fare to a shopping mall, let alone buying any food there.

9 minutes ago, epicstuff said:

With KFC and Mac D's on every corner  now what  would anyone expect. I have watched the expansion of western fast food culture and the reduction of  slim sexy girls  in perfect synchronicity.

Far more coffee shops around than KFC and McDonalds, you ever seen the amount of sugar that goes into one of them coffees!!! I would say 80% of the staff in our office return from lunch slurping some sugary concoction from a massive plastic cup!!!

The girls have changed from Toot swai, to Toot kwai!!

Edited by LennyW

6 minutes ago, johnarth said:

we only use coconut cooking oil now, much healthier, and the experts say it helps stop memory loss in older people. a bit hard to find on supermarket shelves when we find them we buy a few bottles, another thing it is good for 2 years, just a little dearer than the others but well worth it

Coconut oil is no healthier than any other cooking oil. It is mainly saturated fat, the difference being it is 50% C12 fatty acid ester, as distinct from the C16 - C18 mixture of saturated and unsaturated compounds in most cooking oils.

You are correct about one thing. Because it has very low levels of  unsaturated oils, it is much more stable than most other cooking oils.