Mystery over British man who died at Thailand party after sending ominous WhatsApp messages

webfact

Th is is the first of these mysterious deaths of farangs on the Samui Archipelago that sounds as if it really might have been a death by misadventure.  The deceased was apparently high on booze and drugs, as the police asserted, and could easily have fancied a swim.  Many people drown as a result of drunkenness alone.  Mixing drugs increasing the risks.    

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No mystery, we just don't want to talk about it:

"Mr Apperley had a history of drug taking, liked to party and regularly visited Thailand, the inquest heard.

Mr Craze said the post-mortem found no signs of a struggle, bruising or trauma, adding: "He led a bohemian lifestyle, he took drugs."

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Not everyone can rise to the mediocre standards of the UK

One in four autopsy reports in UK is substandard, report finds
BMJ 2006; 333 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.333.7573.824-b

There is a huge difference between an autopsy being "poor" or "sub-standard" and those that are, apparently, almost complete fiction.

Those few that we get to hear about (usually i relating to yet another farang death) are often so laughably inept or compromised that they are more akin to children's' short stories or fairy tales!

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Apparently no one actually reads the news articles.

The coroner did NOT say that "only idiots go there". That bit was from a TV member.

I looked for that in both the Independent and the BBC reports and I couldn't see it in either one. I thought it must have been a misprint.

Typical over-the-top reporting.

One or many of the following happened:

1) Tried to hit on a Somchai's lady at the party.

Somchai called his posse and and the group of them gave him a kicking and dumped him in the sea.

2) Combined alcohol, drugs and meds OD

3) Had an an argument with another Somchai at one of the bars and repeat as 1)

4) Suicide - unlikely

That is it. There is no mystery. 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

These full moon parties seem to be an excuse to legalize drugs for a night.

Money number one but I actually think they should be stopped or at least limited.

I can only assume you have never been to one. I went to a few and never saw drugs being sold, or even available.

Unless they have changed significantly, my experience still holds.

It has been known for decades that pushers inform the cops as to whom they sold the illegal drugs to.

A far greater crime is what the Thais that live off the party have done to ruin Hat Rin beach, once probably the most beautiful beach in LOS.

2 minutes ago, varun said:

Typical over-the-top reporting.

One or many of the following happened:

1) Tried to hit on a Somchai's lady at the party.

Somchai called his posse and and the group of them gave him a kicking and dumped him in the sea.

2) Combined alcohol, drugs and meds OD

3) Had an an argument with another Somchai at one of the bars and repeat as 1)

4) Suicide - unlikely

That is it. There is no mystery. 

1) No marks on his body.

2) He drowned, he did not OD

3) See 1

4) I have no idea.

Well fair play to the independent and the coroner for saying it like it is. Where investigation and procedure is concerned thailand is not 3rd world but a world of its own. 

I'm not totally agains drugs but this lad was no spring chicken and had a wife and child so at 38 living it up at the full moon and taking drugs, one has to question his choices.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Money number one but I actually think they should be stopped or at least limited.

They won't stop something that nets them mountains of cash, nor will they limit them apart from the usual ' hollow words ' following a death or tragedy. Same people uttering the words of sympathy or get tough on drugs are those reaping the benefits.

A bit more tolerance and compassion on here would not go amiss by some. Not all people are strong-willed and well balanced, if they were, we would all be living the high life like Bill Gates or Jack Ma. People make errors in judgment in life, especially the young.

I can say with fair certainty if it was the sons or daughters of many on here that were lured into a ' one off, ' holiday mistake '  taking drugs at a full moon party when their guard is down, and then entrapped by police, taken ill or worse; the parents wouldn't be on here  with the ' holier than thou  attitude ' 

No doubt they would be then screaming the evils of Thailand and the corruption that exists to anyone that will listen or be setting up a ' Go fund me page! '

3 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

They won't stop something that nets them mountains of cash, nor will they limit them apart from the usual ' hollow words ' following a death or tragedy. Same people uttering the words of sympathy or get tough on drugs are those reaping the benefits.

A bit more tolerance and compassion on here would not go amiss by some. Not all people are strong-willed and well balanced, if they were, we would all be living the high life like Bill Gates or Jack Ma. People make errors in judgment in life, especially the young.

I can say with fair certainty if it was the sons or daughters of many on here that were lured into a ' one off, ' holiday mistake '  taking drugs at a full moon party when their guard is down, and then entrapped by police, taken ill or worse; the parents wouldn't be on here  with the ' holier than thou  attitude ' 

No doubt they would be then screaming the evils of Thailand and the corruption that exists to anyone that will listen or be setting up a ' Go fund me page! '

So true long a Nationals  make money won't  stop

Just now, Scouse123 said:

If you read the article fully it was clear the guy was taking drugs throughout his life. This is not a one off he was 38. 

7 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

'

Yes, people do tend to be more sympathetic when situations involve family or Friends

Several years ago I had the pleasure (?) of sitting amongst a group of lads in their early 20s who were on the Dubai - Bangkok leg of an Emirates flight from the UK. They were on their way to a Full Moon Party. They were pleasant enough, and explained that they went two or three times a year. Basically, they would fly in the day before and make their way down to Koh Panghan. They would spend the whole night at the party, and get absolutely wrecked on their drink or stimulant of choice, spend the next 36 hours semi-comatose recovering on the beach and then return to the UK.

When I mentioned that conventional wisdom was that a very dim view of drugs was taken by the Thai authorities they laughed, and said that those rules don't apply on Koh Panghan. They reckoned that each trip would cost something like £1300 or so, including flights. As I said, they did this two or three times a year!

When I said that I lived in Thailand they were interested - but freely confessed to knowing nothing about the country whatsoever, apart from what they glimpsed from the window of the overnight bus that took them to the ferry!

Unto each his own I suppose.

Edited by JAG

Sadly the man`s family will not receive any conclusive results as to the cause of Andrew Apperley`s death as has been the case of so many other westerner deaths in Thailand. Probably three reasons; the Thailand authorities are concerned about their tourist trade and the police simply won`t put much effort and resources into these investigations. They also don`t have the training or expertise to conduct forensic examinations.

The same applies to Thais if they become victims of crime, that are a lot less publicised.

One theory could be that Apperley drank too much, took too much drugs got paranoid by mask wearing party goers and decided to try to swim to his hotel after the paranoia got the better of him and he could not wait for the boat in the morning. Drink alone makes people make bad decisions. Appears he was also on his own and mushrooms can be heaven or the complete opposite pending on your environment at the time. 

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

How about just legalize all harmless drugs and regulate them so people are more safe and protected when they do choose to have fun?  

More posts have been removed for being insensitive and/or off-topic and/or flaming (or all of these).

A UK coroner was unable to ascertain cause of death or even to categorize it as accident vs other.  If you believe you have conclusive proof of cause of death please contact the UK authorities. Otherwise, please be sensitive in your comments, family members may read this.

A 38 year old is old enough to be responsible for his actions. If he chose to attend regularly he knew the risks.

Tragic accident. 

The fact investigations aren't up to investigations in some countries is irrelevant. Wouldn't have prevented this.

Edited by Baerboxer

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

One theory could be that Apperley drank too much, took too much drugs got paranoid by mask wearing party goers and decided to try to swim to his hotel after the paranoia got the better of him and he could not wait for the boat in the morning. Drink alone makes people make bad decisions. Appears he was also on his own and mushrooms can be heaven or the complete opposite pending on your environment at the time. 

Magic mushrooms, especially when taken too many, can easily create hallucinations that could explain his messages.

And as you've already mentioned, it can cause a horror trip where people do all sorts of weird things that could piss others off. 

But nobody seems to know what really happened on his last day. Somebody could have killed him after an argument.

1 hour ago, wealthychef said:

How about just legalize all harmless drugs and regulate them so people are more safe and protected when they do choose to have fun?  

Western thinking on that topic in LOS doesn't make much sense. IN fact, drugs on Ko Phangan are almost legal, some are sold by the BIB, and the other sellers have best connections to the top.

On the contrary side, foreigners who die there overdosed have usually died of a heart attack, a stroke, or anything "normal." Many people who live(d) there have reported of the local mafia which seems to be quite powerful and well connected. 

Soft drugs are somehow "accepted" and people who got busted with a few spliffs can walk away after some money changed the owner.

Places like Ko Phangan and places like Pai in the north of Thailand seem to have different laws in regard to drug consumption. Quite a few foreigners die in Pai each year after a heroin overdose. Unfortunately, there's never a report what really happened. It's always a heart attack, accident, or similar. 

The death penalty for drugs still exists in Thailand, therefore it seems to be impossible to legalize soft drugs. 

Even when it's so obvious that hard drugs are available on islands like Ko Phangan and places like Pai, how could they promote something that may not/doesn't exist in such a wonderful country without problems?

Just now, jenny2017 said:

Western thinking on that topic in LOS doesn't make much sense. IN fact, drugs on Ko Phangan are almost legal, some are sold by the BIB, and the other sellers have best connections to the top.

On the contrary side, foreigners who die there overdosed have usually died of a heart attack, a stroke, or anything "normal." Many people who live(d) there have reported of the local mafia which seems to be quite powerful and well connected. 

Soft drugs are somehow "accepted" and people who got busted with a few spliffs can walk away after some money changed the owner.

Places like Ko Phangan and places like Pai in the north of Thailand seem to have different laws in regard to drug consumption. Quite a few foreigners die in Pai each year after a heroin overdose. Unfortunately, there's never a report what really happened. It's always a heart attack, accident, or similar. 

The death penalty for drugs still exists in Thailand, therefore it seems to be impossible to legalize soft drugs. 

Even when it's so obvious that hard drugs are available on islands like Ko Phangan and places like Pai, how could they promote something that may not/doesn't exist in such a wonderful country without problems?

I disagree with the concept of "Western thinking."  There is only thinking.  My suggestion is fully within reason here in Thailand.  Just because you can bribe a cop and get away with getting stoned, that's not the same thing as being legal by a long shot.  The fact that it's enforced differently in every province does not help.  If it were legal, then people wouldn't have to do it in back alleys.  It's like abortion.  People are going to do it, legalize it and make it safe and controlled and allow an honest conversation about it, pro and con.  "Drugs are bad, mmkay" policies never work in any country, East West or sideways.  *in my opinion* of course.  :-) 

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Have you actually been to 1 to have any basis for that?

7 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Okay, so this one might have been lazy and ‘medieval’, but the Burmese two were done at the highest level of professionalism. Not the bits we saw with our own eyes. The bits we didn’t see. CSI would be in awe. 

I am assuming you have your tongue firmly in your cheek when writing that.  As we all know the case of the Burmese two was one of the worst cases of injustice witnessed by the whole world.  To think that any part of that "investigation" had any level of professionalism is naïve to say the least.

3 minutes ago, barsie said:

Have you actually been to 1 to have any basis for that?

I have been to a few.  It is very much based around drugs and alcohol and most of the people who go will indulge.  I know I did.  The full moon parties have been notorious for at least the last twenty years but have grown over the years to be a major part of gap year adventures.

6 hours ago, YetAnother said:

according to the referenced article:

"Last year there was reportedly a 54 per cent rise in tourist deaths in Thailand."

how is that possible ?

are tourists, all of a sudden, getting so much more careless ?

or are there other factors at play, such as tourists being preyed on ?

Its possible because we are talking about 32 million tourists, an extra 20 deaths is actually pretty insignificant and will largely be governed by the age demographics of the tourists that year.  To imagine that tourists are being preyed on because 83 tourists died out of 32 million is just ludicrous.

And anyway, the same set of stats claimed that 166 tourists injured themselves, which is just nonsense, obviously there are far more injuries than that.