Video: "Find the driver who left my dad for dead", begs Chiang Mai daughter

webfact

Video: "Find the driver who left my dad for dead", begs Chiang Mai daughter

1a.jpg

Picture: Manager

A Chiang Mai woman has gone on Facebook to try to trace a pick-up driver who nearly killed her father on Monday.

CCTV footage at the Huai Sai bridge showed the pick-up pull out in front of Kannika Saenthan's dad on a motorcycle.

He smashes into the side and ends up under the wheels of the pick-up. But as a member of the public rushes to help the callous driver just makes a cursory glance outside before driving off over the man at speed, fleeing the scene.

Kannika's dad is in Suan Dork Hospital with head injuries, broken ribs and ruptures of the lung and kidney.

While CCTV caught the actual accident it did not catch the plate. Another camera on the other side of the road that might have been helpful was not working, the local authority admitted.

If anyone has information they can contact the family on 08-6490-3756.

The accident happened on Monday at 7.40am.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-17

Absolute scumbag. Accidents do happen but the minute you flee and leave an injured person dying in the road should be the minute you lose all rights to any leniency be it if the cops catch you or a mob does.

Wish the victim a full recovery and his daughter well in her quest

1 minute ago, z42 said:

Absolute scumbag. Accidents do happen but the minute you flee and leave an injured person dying in the road should be the minute you lose all rights to any leniency be it if the cops catch you or a mob does.

What he said.....

The truck driver must have been blind not to have seen him, was probably on his mobile phone.

I hope they catch him and throw the book at him

Then driving away over the poor chap just adds insult to injury (no pun intended) but it beggars belief how someone can do such a thing

2 hours ago, z42 said:

Preferably a mob of the lynching variety. Mobs are harder to 'pay off'!

What's the betting that at least some of the following were involved.....No license, no insurance, no tax, drunk, on the phone or stressed because someone just kicked his dog ?

Hope the injured man recovers well and the family get this passionless Moron caught.

Edited by trainman34014

Can't believe that there were so many people stopping and looking, but no one was SMART enough to grab the plate number, 1st thing I always do !

Hope they catch this arssssssehole from either someone reporting the plate, or other CCTV camera's at other destinations can get a glance at it, and he gets 5 years minimum.

A speedy recovery to the bike rider.

Perhaps a left turn only at the point of the intersection as it looks like a black spot with more accidents waiting to happen.

Edited by 4MyEgo

40 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I'm not condoning what the driver did but the bike was in the wrong lane. When the video is played at normal speed it also looks to me like both parties could have avoided the accident if they had more spacial awareness.

How can you determine that he was in the wrong lane, i.e. the right lane is for overtaking or vehicles/cycles travelling at faster speeds than the slow lane, i.e. the left lane.

Wanna back that up with a radar, the bike was travelling fast.

5 hours ago, z42 said:

While i do agree with you, i also understand the strange rule that you are allowed to make a runner after an accident as long as you report to police within 24 hours (is this a real law or just hearsay? ).

There is a serious chance, especially as being a foreigner which is probably not the case here, that you will end up in a hospital or in a morgue if you stay around after an accident. No matter who was at fault, if the mob turns on you there is little you can do. 

And also that I understand. We have all seen and read about people killing several other people with their car while driving drunk, joy riding, or speeding and never being seriously punished for it (maybe 2 months of community service at a spot of your chosing, if you feel like it, otherwise a bit less). Maybe swift justice on the spot does work better.

All together it is clear that Thailand is relatively lawless and this needs to change before you can expect different behavior.

In no way i condone what the driver did, especially as there was no mob forming (the opposite: people keep driving along).

36 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

While i do agree with you, i also understand the strange rule that you are allowed to make a runner after an accident as long as you report to police within 24 hours (is this a real law or just hearsay? ).

There is a serious chance, especially as being a foreigner which is probably not the case here, that you will end up in a hospital or in a morgue if you stay around after an accident. No matter who was at fault, if the mob turns on you there is little you can do. 

And also that I understand. We have all seen and read about people killing several other people with their car while driving drunk, joy riding, or speeding and never being seriously punished for it (maybe 2 months of community service at a spot of your chosing, if you feel like it, otherwise a bit less). Maybe swift justice on the spot does work better.

All together it is clear that Thailand is relatively lawless and this needs to change before you can expect different behavior.

In no way i condone what the driver did, especially as there was no mob forming (the opposite: people keep driving along).

As you can be prosecuted for failing to render assistance to a person injured by you in an accident I'm calling BS on being lawful to flee the scene and report later.

thai drivers also expect motorcycles to slow down or give them the right of way, I've driven on single lane roads countless times where incoming cars would cross over to your lane because they can't bother to slow down for the motorcycle in front of them, hence me having the need to veer to the left to avoid the incoming car.

6 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

That truck will have to be repaired somewhere, and hopefully the ones doing the repairs will notify the cops.

Don't count on it.

The price quoted for the repair will be sufficient, I am afraid.

3 hours ago, alien365 said:

I'm not condoning what the driver did but the bike was in the wrong lane. When the video is played at normal speed it also looks to me like both parties could have avoided the accident if they had more spacial awareness.

What in Hell are you on about? The bike was travelling in a legal traffic lane, going in the right direction. There is no "wrong lane", unless travelling against traffic. 
The bike driver had no chance to avoid, as the truck driver burst out of the side road at max acceleration, and due to the concrete barrier there was no place to land.

1 hour ago, Krungbin said:

What surprises me is that...well, let's face it, not many people stopped and /or came to attend the poor motorcyclist...

Well, at least one person came to help. 
Hoping others did also, after the rather brief footage of the accident.
Best wishes for the dad and his daughter.

9 hours ago, alien365 said:

Yes, i think you are right. The speed looked kind of really fast

10 hours ago, alien365 said:

I think we better master rolling over, then crawling, then the odd faltering step, before we tackle spacial awareness

9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

How can you determine that he was in the wrong lane, i.e. the right lane is for overtaking or vehicles/cycles travelling at faster speeds than the slow lane, i.e. the left lane.

Wanna back that up with a radar, the bike was travelling fast.

There was no car in the left lane after the crash for quite a while so he wasn't overtaking. He wasn't turning right as he he didn't slow down to turn. He should have been in the left lane like all the other bikes in the video were. All I'm saying is that both did wrong. The pick up, more so, but I'd expect a competent bike rider to have seen him edging out and slowed down a bit.