BOI company - need advice

I am a small BOI company delivering high level training to Oil and Gas industry in Thailand and am in partneship with MOGIT/TPTI. I am owed significant money (for me anyway) for training delivered in July! My contract states payment within 30 days, or when client pays! 

We do on average 400K/month

Is there a body I can approach to complain?

I am paying my staff from my own pocket and this cannot go on indefinitely!

Any advice gratefully accepted.

• Like 1

You also need  some thought about who you will extend credit to or not. Don't necessarily give credit to everyone who asks

For some / new / poor credit companies maybe you should be asking for payment or part payment up front.

For regular business and good customers with established records though, these are the type you consider giving credit to, but even then maybe it isn't automatic unless they ask.

Wherever you extend credit to someone you need to have a plan for what happens when they don't pay on time

• Like 1

Guys, 

thank you for your input, I do not employ anyone ATM, my business partner, who handled all of this previously, died suddenly on Oct 07 2017 and the load has now fallen on my shoulders to deal with it. 

The way it works is that companies book training through MOGIT who then inform me of training dates and I deliver as required, then invoice for my services. The excuse they keep using is that TPTI clients pay TPTI and then TPTI pay MOGIT then MOGIT pay me. They keep telling me that TPTI have not paid (TPTI is a semi government regulator for Oil and Gas training and come under the department of Minerals and fuels).

I underestimated my turnover as I have just been through bank statements from 22/11/16 - 17/11/17, we have delivered training to the value of 14,505,406! Not a bad turnover for a very small business with only 4 Farang and 1 Thai on the books!

They currently owe 1,167,200!

• Like 1

First to know.

What is in the contract about the terms and conditions.

What is in the conformation letter about payment terms and condition.

And did you mention the payment term in the invoices.

Did you put a payment due date on the invoices.

Did you send the invoices by ems? Or registered post.

You can go to the office and just meet the contact you have.

Take all with you. Well ordered.

Just have a good meeting and chat. And ask him/her what the problems are that the invoices not are paid.

Depending on the relation all can be solve quick.

And sometimes the pay you in cash. Or transfer all quick.

I have had not much problems in getting paid. And when then turned out to be a small issue to be solved.

But you run BOI company with other thai, they have 51 percent.

Then they have to solve it.

Let them handle this

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, midasthailand said:

thank you for your input, I do not employ anyone ATM, my business partner, who handled all of this previously, died suddenly on Oct 07 2017 and the load has now fallen on my shoulders to deal with it. 

The way it works is that companies book training through MOGIT who then inform me of training dates and I deliver as required, then invoice for my services. The excuse they keep using is that TPTI clients pay TPTI and then TPTI pay MOGIT then MOGIT pay me. They keep telling me that TPTI have not paid (TPTI is a semi government regulator for Oil and Gas training and come under the department of Minerals and fuels).

I underestimated my turnover as I have just been through bank statements from 22/11/16 - 17/11/17, we have delivered training to the value of 14,505,406! Not a bad turnover for a very small business with only 4 Farang and 1 Thai on the books!

They currently owe 1,167,200!

Would it be possible to ask in turn all of the parties concerned if they have made payment to MOGIT before you start to threatened anyone ?

And secondly the one worrying factor in your post are the words ( My contract states payment in 30 days or when the client pays ) could it be that MOGIT is using this factor to with hold payment to you, hence the reason to make discreet enquiries.

• Like 1

I was Operating Manager of an Oil Services Company in Africa, it was customary to have all invoices sent and paid within 90 days.  Even our best clients, all in the top 100 companies in the world, were paying only on the last day of this 90 days. 

You may be the only one asking for payment within 30 days which forced them to use their small cash account (box...) designed for daily operations instead of their approved monthly operating expenditure Funds. 

If you threaten them legally you will simply loose their business... 

Lots of confusing terminology BOI, MOGIT, TPTI. I saw a few good suggestions as regular billing/collection practices.

It sounds as if there is a government agency involved, If they are involved in the payment it will take a while to get paid. If you are offering mandatory safety training, and are continuing to provide services perhaps talk to the regulators involved, mention you cannot afford to continue training if you are not paid. 

Personally, it doesn't seem wise for one partner to leave all billing/receiving to another partner. It is unfair to that partner, and leaves you ignorant of thr cash flow. I see you seem surprised at the volume of services provided, how do you know your partner was not already paid?

Often, businesses tend to pay consultants or others that don't provide actual physical products, ie pipe, fixtures or other essential hardware slower than vendors that do.  

• 2 months later...
On 11/17/2017 at 4:56 PM, blackcab said:

Just out of intetest, if you received 14.5m worth of payments in 12 months, how come you are paying the staff from your own pocket?

Where has all the money gone?

Good question, well asked however I said turned over 14.5 not received! My company receives 50%, MOGIT receives 30% and TPTI take 20% off the top. This means around 6 Mill received and 1.2 still owing. I pay my assistant trainer 7,000/day, my discipline expert 8,000/day and myself 15,000/day. My partner was paid 50K/month and his partner was paid 5k commission for each participant she arranged. Office rental (never used, but required for BOI purposes) currently 21k/month. We also pay a Thai lady to look after all dealings with BOI and Immigration. Also tax and VAT come out of that as well. Around 20 courses over the year with participants from SKD, Shelf and Seadrill mainly with a few from Aban in Singapore. Also need to pay for OPITO audits and Liberian Flag state approval.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1