A Returning Thai - Is it tough to integrate back into the society?

NotYetReady

I'm a Thai who has never been to Thailand except for occasional visitation. I was born and raised in the Middle East and I speak little to no Thai at all as I'm more into my mother's side, when it comes to domestic affairs, of the family who isn't Thai and my father's side for my citizenship.

And now my perspective of staying in the Middle East is grim so I'm looking into moving back to Thailand.

Thus, I plan to apply for a master program in finance at Chulalongkorn/Mahidol University full-time. Meanwhile I'd learn and pick up Thai language and network myself into an investment banking/consulting. I'm looking into starting a career in finance and earn a banker's living which is why I insist on either Chula or Mahidol.

I'm 25-year right now and obtained my bachelor in accounting in a first tier university in Malaysia and have pursued for professional accountancy (ACCA) but haven't completed it yet so I'm betting on those to get me into either one.

I'm also aware of the obsession with fair skin and frankly speaking one of the reason why I'm opting out of the Middle East is to escape discrimination or level it up to where it is a bit acceptable.

So, is it tough to integrate back into the society? Is it really tough to get into Chula/Mahidol? What's your thoughts? Should I put my bet a bit different?

I'm sure you realize that the demographics on this forum is largely older white guys, so that's the perspective you'll be getting.

I assume you have Thai citizenship.  Any other citizenship?  If you cannot speak Thai fluently, you'll just be another foreigner.  I typically tell young foreigners that their chances of making a decent living would be better in their home country.  Unless they're from the Philippines or Somalia...

7 hours ago, NotYetReady said:

Meanwhile I'd learn and pick up Thai language and network myself into an investment banking/consulting.

The first thing is that you will need to speak, read and write Thai to a very good standard. Many banking documents, company communications, team meetings, etc. will be in Thai.

The second thing is 'networking'. As I'm sure you know, Thai people spend their life in 'circles'. A school circle, a university circle, employment circles, etc. It can be difficult to break in.

Not impossible though.

Bit of a conundrum being presented here. The OP's actual nationality was a bit unclear but on re-rereading, I assume it's Thai from having a Thai father but his Thai language limitations is primarily through being closer to the non-Thai mother? Regarding skin colour, as odious as the assumptions based on this are, what visible ethnicity would the OP claim to have? Light or dark?

If the OP is planning on any sort of career and working in Thailand, the Chula/Mahidol degree is a must. However, lack of Thai language skills will be a problem, not only at Thai Uni but seeking subsequent, local placement. If loading up on concurrent Thai language lessons isn't seen as being too hard, then that's an option that only the OP can consider.

Since the Bachelors has been obtained overseas, I would suggest pursuing further education in another country and not in Thailand. Then one could pursue viable employment and probably earn a higher wage outside Thailand. I don't think the Chula/Mahidol parchment holds much regard outside LOS.

A Thai acquaintance had a good formal Thai education in a Thai private school but then obtained his degree in the UK. Returning to Thailand, he finds his degree is held in far lower esteem than if he had acquired it in Thailand. His Thai language skills are good (his English skills are excellent) but he's now focused on running the family's Thai business interests which he admits was not supposed to happen until after he had worked for a fair few years in Thailand. FWIW, he's reasonably fair-skinned but not Thai-Chinese white and darkened up a fair bit when we were re-roofing some of his property.

Looks like a Masters in Finance earned in France has the most clout and ESSEC Paris has a Singapore campus too.

Good luck!

Edited by NanLaew

Given you do not speak Thai already, why bother ?   Chinese, Japanese or Bhasa Indonesian would be better languages to learn to earn a living.  Malay is similar  to Bhasa Indonesian and Malaysia is more sane than Thailand.  Thailand is no longer the powerhouse it was back in 90's.  It is rudderless and angry.  If you learn to speak Thai, you will have a pretty girlfriend.  If you learn to speak the other languages mentioned, you will have a job. 

Four years ago I became friends with a Thai woman I met on a flight from Detroit to Bangkok.  Though she grew up in Thailand, she had lived in the US for 12 years.  A nasty divorce and financial problems led her to return to Thailand to live.

She found it very difficult to return to using the Thai language, though she was a native speaker.  She had become used to English and it's much wider and more comprehensive vocabulary and she found it difficult to express herself.  Also, the language had changed a lot over the years with many unfamiliar idioms and catch phrases.  It was difficult to understand co-workers conversations and humor.  She was constantly asked where she came from as her accent on common words was often off.

It took her more than two years to start feeling comfortable using Thai day to day.

A larger problem for her was fitting back into the Thai social structure...especially in the workplace.  Having to be constantly deferential to superiors, to never criticize or offer suggestions or point out an obvious problem was really stressful.  Basically, the attitude is do your job, only your job and don't think.  Also difficult was the constant pressure of office social events: group lunches, birthdays, religious observances and holidays, on and on.  Participation is considered mandatory or you risk being ostracized.

She's been back almost four years now and still feels like an outsider.  She was able to find employment with a western company and that made life easier.

I think the OP, even though born Thai will face many obstacles, probably more than she did.  It won't be until he can speak fluent Thai that he will be accepted as Thai.

19 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I'm sure you realize that the demographics on this forum is largely older white guys, so that's the perspective you'll be getting.

I assume you have Thai citizenship.  Any other citizenship?  If you cannot speak Thai fluently, you'll just be another foreigner.  I typically tell young foreigners that their chances of making a decent living would be better in their home country.  Unless they're from the Philippines or Somalia...

In terms of study at Chula or Mahidol not a good idea to join a program conducted in Thai language until your Thai conversation, reading and writing is close to native speaker level. Don't expect that the other students will translate all the time, that's not appropriate and not fair to all the other students in the class and you may well find the lecturer will not allow it because it causes so much regular disruption to the class.

On the other hand many Thai universities have the exact same courses conducted in English (so called International Programs), often with visiting off-shore native English speaking professors, and this would bring you the qualifications you desire, well accepted by professional employers both Thai and multi-national. 

In a different approach also work on quickly upgrading your Thai language skills.  It would be very rare to find employers who would employ locals  who can't speak, read, write very advanced Thai language.

An example, I am a westerner, for many years I was a senior in an international management consultancy in the Bkk office (I was the only foreigner - regional director based in BKK because my Thai family were in Bkk) ). Several times I rejected Thai job applicants who had lived with relatives abroad basically all of their lives until graduation from one , perhaps two masters degrees, programs conducted in USA, England, Australia, Germany ... in English (often with excellent academic results), then returned home. I rejected them because their Thai language skills were under 'very advanced' level. Further, it would be very rare / unheard of that any Thai company will employ people with this profile and then send them to Thai language classes. The employed wants full engagement / full contribution from the staff member from day 1 of employment.  

Why? Most of our clients were medium and large Thai companies and Thai government agencies, and we knew from past experience that clients would reject (often angrily reject) Thai people on the consulting team who can't read the project documents always written in Thai, no English translation, never will be, and cannot discuss in advanced Thai.  

Edited by scorecard

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Bit of a conundrum being presented here. The OP's actual nationality was a bit unclear but on re-rereading, I assume it's Thai from having a Thai father but his Thai language limitations is primarily through being closer to the non-Thai mother? Regarding skin colour, as odious as the assumptions based on this are, what visible ethnicity would the OP claim to have? Light or dark?

If the OP is planning on any sort of career and working in Thailand, the Chula/Mahidol degree is a must. However, lack of Thai language skills will be a problem, not only at Thai Uni but seeking subsequent, local placement. If loading up on concurrent Thai language lessons isn't seen as being too hard, then that's an option that only the OP can consider.

Since the Bachelors has been obtained overseas, I would suggest pursuing further education in another country and not in Thailand. Then one could pursue viable employment and probably earn a higher wage outside Thailand. I don't think the Chula/Mahidol parchment holds much regard outside LOS.

A Thai acquaintance had a good formal Thai education in a Thai private school but then obtained his degree in the UK. Returning to Thailand, he finds his degree is held in far lower esteem than if he had acquired it in Thailand. His Thai language skills are good (his English skills are excellent) but he's now focused on running the family's Thai business interests which he admits was not supposed to happen until after he had worked for a fair few years in Thailand. FWIW, he's reasonably fair-skinned but not Thai-Chinese white and darkened up a fair bit when we were re-roofing some of his property.

Looks like a Masters in Finance earned in France has the most clout and ESSEC Paris has a Singapore campus too.

Good luck!

"

Looks like a Masters in Finance earned in France has the most clout and ESSEC Paris has a Singapore campus too."

IMHO, excellent advice. 

I had a Thai neighbour and his Thai wife who grew up in Geneva. He could speak several languages: English, German, Swiss, French and low level Thai.
His initial problem was to overcome the fact that he had missed the military draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

We have in our group of friends several people that have lived abroad very long, mostly 20 years or more, returning to Thailand for various reasons.

Most of them had a lot of problems adjusting to Thailand, most of them could not get used to life in Thailand, were not accepted by Thai, and two were able to go back to the country they left.

Nearly all spoke Thai, but the language of 20 years before.

All agree that coming back was not the nice thing they thought it would be and nearly all were made to feel outsiders.

I know several Thai's who have lived abroad both in America and Europe for years and when they returned they felt as outsiders . One of the huge problems is that they learned to think and adapt to Western society.  They spoke Thai in a direct manner which made them feel unwelcome in certain social groups. They had a hard time dealing with the Thai mentality of no confrontation; bending always to 'superiors'; and finding all the bureaucracy in Thailand as outdated and at times irritating . They complained in the same manner as many foreigners complain on this board. Most have returned to their adopted countries and come back to Thailand only as tourists.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

In terms of study at Chula or Mahidol not a good idea to join a program conducted in Thai language until your Thai conversation, reading and writing is close to native speaker level. Don't expect that the other students will translate all the time, that's not appropriate and not fair to all the other students in the class and you may well find the lecturer will not allow it because it causes so much regular disruption to the class.

On the other hand many Thai universities have the exact same courses conducted in English (so called International Programs), often with visiting off-shore native English speaking professors, and this would bring you the qualifications you desire, well accepted by professional employers both Thai and multi-national. 

In a different approach also work on quickly upgrading your Thai language skills.  It would be very rare to find employers who would employ locals  who can't speak, read, write very advanced Thai language.

An example, I am a westerner, for many years I was a senior in an international management consultancy in the Bkk office (I was the only foreigner - regional director based in BKK because my Thai family were in Bkk) ). Several times I rejected Thai job applicants who had lived with relatives abroad basically all of their lives until graduation from one , perhaps two masters degrees, programs conducted in USA, England, Australia, Germany ... in English (often with excellent academic results), then returned home. I rejected them because their Thai language skills were under 'very advanced' level. Further, it would be very rare / unheard of that any Thai company will employ people with this profile and then send them to Thai language classes. The employed wants full engagement / full contribution from the staff member from day 1 of employment.  

Why? Most of our clients were medium and large Thai companies and Thai government agencies, and we knew from past experience that clients would reject (often angrily reject) Thai people on the consulting team who can't read the project documents always written in Thai, no English translation, never will be, and cannot discuss in advanced Thai.  

For your information Chula and Mahidol have courses/programs conducted in English 

11 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

For your information Chula and Mahidol have courses/programs conducted in English 

That's the point I was making, thanks for confirming it.

Plus there are more well accepted Thai universities with the same programs conducted in English language.

On this same point for anybody researching this subject I would suggest asking for up to date data about how many courses have off shore native speaking visiting professors who will teach the international program courses and how many local Thai professors (who can speak English) will be assigned to the courses in the program.

Why? Not unheard of for the Thai professor to start speaking in English and after 30 minutes etc., suddenly say 'English is too difficult, I will speak in Thai', and I can recall this happening when there were foreign exchange students in the class, who then sat there not understanding one word and finally abandoned the class, losing all their investment in coming here and possibly getting an F grade because of non-attendance. In Thai universities where things like this happen the professors have way too much power and sometimes the program directors are frightened to challenge these professors. 

Some Thai universities with international programs have a 'buddy team', contacting a couple of Thai students on the buddy team would be a good way to get important information.  

Edited by scorecard

Notyetready,

I have a pal who is Thai but has been brought up and raised in the UK. He is 100% Thai but went to the UK at an early age, about 10 years old, with his mother who married an English guy.He is 28.

He returned to Thailand some eight months ago with much fanfare about how he was leaving the UK and returning home to his birth land and put a great deal of stuff on his Facebook pages. He, of course, speaks, reads and writes Thai. He is not as well educated as you but was gainfully employed in the UK in Leeds.

He took a contract to a small condo place in Koh Samui for six months rental. He actually hails from Chiang Rai.He lasted SIX WEEKS and that included a side trip to Cambodia! He lost his deposit and upfront rents and went back to the UK, saying there was a family emergency.

That was a ' face-saving ' statement because he could not handle Thailand. He has since messaged me and told me Thailand has changed beyond all recognition from his childhood memories, he couldn't handle it, and it was just a ' strange land ' to him. He actually said he had a better time and felt more relaxed on his four days in Cambodia.

He is back living and working in England.

On 11/17/2017 at 8:35 AM, NotYetReady said:

So, is it tough to integrate back into the society? Is it really tough to get into Chula/Mahidol? What's your thoughts? Should I put my bet a bit different?

Your questions should really be answered by a Thai that has lived abroad for a number of years, and then has returned. However, I presume most such Thais that has been been living abroad, has been living in a Western culture country, so the difference coming from Middle Eastern culture may be another story.

In my modest opinion, as an alien in Thailand, you seem to be well aware of the most important factor to establish a living and professional life in Thailand: language. The second, as I see Thailand, is culture; but I presume you'll quickly find friends that will help with all the small details in polite behavior, we foreigners can hardly understand; and when trying, we are met with a smile, because we try so hard to integrate, but however fail.

I would think that it's easier for one coming from Middle East to integrate to a Thai life-style, than for one coming from a Western culture. Also your English language skills can be a benefit for you, especially professionally in banking or financial consulting.

About studying at Chulalongkorn University or Mahidol University I cannot be of much help, but I presume – apart from language barrier – that it's a question of qualifying points. To my knowledge Ramkhamhaeng University may be an alternative, but I don't know if that's the right graduation certificate.

It's my impression that Thailand has changed a lot over the last two decades – changed for positive improvements – so I think you can find a good future here. In general South East Asia seem to be moving up, and being citizen inside ASEAN also gives you some benefits; for banking and finance Singapore might be another good option.

My conclusion, from reading you opening post, is that you have good chance for succes in Thailand. I wish you good luck with your plans...:smile:

3 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Notyetready,

I have a pal who is Thai but has been brought up and raised in the UK. He is 100% Thai but went to the UK at an early age, about 10 years old, with his mother who married an English guy.He is 28.

He returned to Thailand some eight months ago with much fanfare about how he was leaving the UK and returning home to his birth land and put a great deal of stuff on his Facebook pages. He, of course, speaks, reads and writes Thai. He is not as well educated as you but was gainfully employed in the UK in Leeds.

He took a contract to a small condo place in Koh Samui for six months rental. He actually hails from Chiang Rai.He lasted SIX WEEKS and that included a side trip to Cambodia! He lost his deposit and upfront rents and went back to the UK, saying there was a family emergency.

That was a ' face-saving ' statement because he could not handle Thailand. He has since messaged me and told me Thailand has changed beyond all recognition from his childhood memories, he couldn't handle it, and it was just a ' strange land ' to him. He actually said he had a better time and felt more relaxed on his four days in Cambodia.

He is back living and working in England.

Poor guy, I can imagine him having to adjust to the society in Thailand, from the moment he walks out of his house he is in the Thai Society and he has to constantly adjust his thinking and behavior . Not surprised he didn't last too long in Thailand.

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Your questions should really be answered by a Thai that has lived abroad for a number of years, and then has returned. However, I presume most such Thais that has been been living abroad, has been living in a Western culture country, so the difference coming from Middle Eastern culture may be another story.

In my modest opinion, as an alien in Thailand, you seem to be well aware of the most important factor to establish a living and professional life in Thailand: language. The second, as I see Thailand, is culture; but I presume you'll quickly find friends that will help with all the small details in polite behavior, we foreigners can hardly understand; and when trying, we are met with a smile, because we try so hard to integrate, but however fail.

I would think that it's easier for one coming from Middle East to integrate to a Thai life-style, than for one coming from a Western culture. Also your English language skills can be a benefit for you, especially professionally in banking or financial consulting.

About studying at Chulalongkorn University or Mahidol University I cannot be of much help, but I presume – apart from language barrier – that it's a question of qualifying points. To my knowledge Ramkhamhaeng University may be an alternative, but I don't know if that's the right graduation certificate.

It's my impression that Thailand has changed a lot over the last two decades – changed for positive improvements – so I think you can find a good future here. In general South East Asia seem to be moving up, and being citizen inside ASEAN also gives you some benefits; for banking and finance Singapore might be another good option.

My conclusion, from reading you opening post, is that you have good chance for succes in Thailand. I wish you good luck with your plans...:smile:

"About studying at Chulalongkorn University or Mahidol University I cannot be of much help, but I presume – apart from language barrier – that it's a question of qualifying points. To my knowledge Ramkhamhaeng University may be an alternative, but I don't know if that's the right graduation certificate."

Gaining entrance to Thai universities is a bit to very different uni. by uni.

For someone coming from most / all their previous studies abroad the only way to get a clear personal picture of the entrance requirements is by a personal specific inquiry, uni. by uni., keeping in mind that the entrance requirements for bachelor studies will always be different to entrance for masters studies.

Ramkhamhaeng Uni (in their international studies wing) does offer a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) in English language and a Masters Degree in business Administration in English language with a lot of foreign exchange students with the usual streaming of: Finance, Marketing and General Management.

It would be very wise to research which degrees (meaning the specific uni. names) are acceptable to the banking and securities houses etc., located in Bkk. 

On 11/17/2017 at 2:53 PM, Berkshire said:

Of course not. Many younger guys on this forum, and even some who know Thailand better than most Thai !

OP ! You are welcome ! Please escape the hell where you are staying now ! With or without visa, with or without work permit, with or without work, Thailand is always the best.

But you can try Cambodia also if you want a real future for your business...

Edited by EcigAmateur

No surprise that Thai who grew up in Thailand and then lived long time abroad have problems to adapt ! But somebody who grew abroad will adapt without problem if he is not a total retard.

I am so sure that these Thai who lived 20 years abroad now think that they are smarter than local Thai, reason why they cannot come back, but I am so sure also that they are not !

6 minutes ago, EcigAmateur said:

No surprise that Thai who grew up in Thailand and then lived long time abroad have problems to adapt ! But somebody who grew abroad will adapt without problem if he is not a total retard.

I am so sure that these Thai who lived 20 years abroad now think that they are smarter than local Thai, reason why they cannot come back, but I am so sure also that they are not !

Final point in your post is very interesting.

My guess is that your saying locals who grew up here are naturally street wise to the 'local conditions'.

Whereas Thais who grew up and graduated abroad abroad may well have impressive degrees from famous off-shore universities but that doesn't mean they are street wise about Bkk. 

Edited by scorecard

3 minutes ago, EcigAmateur said:

How can a Thai not adapt to this country when some many foreigners born in civilized country can ?

It says a lot about what the Thai are...

Is adapting so cut and paste, blanket can or cannot?

No, different for every human being. 

1 hour ago, EcigAmateur said:

How can a Thai not adapt to this country when some many foreigners born in civilized country can ?

From those posting their experiences of Thai acquaintances returning to Thailand, finding it too difficult or different and opting to go back overseas, these individuals obviously had the option and ability to resume overseas life. If their personal circumstances were such that their return to Thailand was a one-way deal, with personal or financial reasons that ruled out going back abroad, maybe the effort needed to try and adapt to the social and cultural changes in Thailand would have greater? When there's no option B, surely only option A applies?

1 hour ago, EcigAmateur said:

I don't think this is strange.  I know a man born in the UK moved to Canada as a young man decided to move back in his 70's  he lasted only a little longer then the young Thai. If you have lived there you expect things to be the way they were. He expected his working class local pub to still be a working class local pub where all the guys from the factory went for a pint after work. He did not expect it to be a Hipster wine bar. As a foreigner you may have some expectations of what Thailand is like. But they are not hard ingrained like if you had lived there.    

59 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

From those posting their experiences of Thai acquaintances returning to Thailand, finding it too difficult or different and opting to go back overseas, these individuals obviously had the option and ability to resume overseas life. If their personal circumstances were such that their return to Thailand was a one-way deal, with personal or financial reasons that ruled out going back abroad, maybe the effort needed to try and adapt to the social and cultural changes in Thailand would have greater? When there's no option B, surely only option A applies?

Yes, the friend of mine now holds a  British passport, which he traveled to Thailand on with a visa so he obviously hedged his bets to start with, unless his Thai passport had expired, we never talked about it.

His mother is still in the UK as are all his friends and contacts. So, he did have options and he is totally bilingual, it appears Thailand has changed a lot and maybe too much for him.

12 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

There are quite a few farangs who've been in Thailand for decades and have admitted that they can no longer "adapt" to their home countries.  And I doubt very much you're as well-adjusted to Thailand as you think you are.  So no need to be a jerk about this.

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I know one Thai guy who left Thailand at a young age and lived for decades in the USA.  He came back to Thailand unable to speak Thai fluently and has struggled to fit back in.  Most of his friends in Thailand are foreigners.  But he still loves Thailand and intends to stay.  As you say, the guy has options...mostly because he's pretty darn wealthy.

17 hours ago, JohnMc45 said:

I don't think this is strange.  I know a man born in the UK moved to Canada as a young man decided to move back in his 70's  he lasted only a little longer then the young Thai. If you have lived there you expect things to be the way they were. He expected his working class local pub to still be a working class local pub where all the guys from the factory went for a pint after work. He did not expect it to be a Hipster wine bar. As a foreigner you may have some expectations of what Thailand is like. But they are not hard ingrained like if you had lived there.    

Yes, it's not always like you remember.

I've been in Thailand well over 3 decades and in all that time been back to my birth country just twice, last time 24 years ago.

I occasionally have a meal or a drink with a couple of local farang and 1 or 2 visiting tourists (long-term old friends) from my home country.

Often I've started to say things like ... "in XXXX (my home country) folks tend to do this or do that etc. The visiting tourists laugh and say 'you are so way out of touch about social desires, current beliefs, vale, behaviors etc., at home.'

Edited by scorecard

On 11/18/2017 at 7:14 PM, scorecard said:

Final point in your post is very interesting.

My guess is that your saying locals who grew up here are naturally street wise to the 'local conditions'.

Whereas Thais who grew up and graduated abroad abroad may well have impressive degrees from famous off-shore universities but that doesn't mean they are street wise about Bkk. 

Further, for years I was a local director of an international management consultancy. We did on several occasions employ young Thais who had lived most of the live abroad, but by company policy they had to read, write, comprehend and speak very advanced Thai.

But in most cases they had difficulties to fit into the the local office environment, their on-the-job attitudes and behaviors were American or English.  They were the same with clients (mostly Thai companies and Thai government agencies). Their directness shocked their work peers and clients.

Many times I had to take them aside and counsel them - fit in, respect clients and local culture, or leave.

Two staff had great difficulties with this and did quickly resign and return to the western countries where they had lived and been educated all of their lives. 

On the other hand there were some who were naturally astute and respectful and made every effort and did fit in quite well. 

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Further, for years I was a local director of an international management consultancy. We did on several occasions employ young Thais who had lived most of the live abroad, but by company policy they had to read, write, comprehend and speak very advanced Thai.

But in most cases they had difficulties to fit into the the local office environment, their on-the-job attitudes and behaviors were American or English.  They were the same with clients (mostly Thai companies and Thai government agencies). Their directness shocked their work peers and clients.

Many times I had to take them aside and counsel them - fit in, respect clients and local culture, or leave.

Two staff had great difficulties with this and did quickly resign and return to the western countries where they had lived and been educated all of their lives. 

On the other hand there were some who were naturally astute and respectful and made every effort and did fit in quite well. 

They lived abroad and do not know how to respect customers ? So they were just brain sick, it was not due to them returning !