A Returning Thai - Is it tough to integrate back into the society?

NotYetReady

2 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

But in most cases they had difficulties to fit into the the local office environment, their on-the-job attitudes and behaviors were American or English.  They were the same with clients (mostly Thai companies and Thai government agencies). Their directness shocked their work peers and clients.

Many times I had to take them aside and counsel them - fit in, respect clients and local culture, or leave.

Could their "directness" possibly have been them pointing out to clients that their expectations were perhaps beyond what could be delivered?

Was pointing out obvious problems and incompetence among other staff a component of their bad attitudes?

I know; snarky but...... 

43 minutes ago, dddave said:

Could their "directness" possibly have been them pointing out to clients that their expectations were perhaps beyond what could be delivered?

Was pointing out obvious problems and incompetence among other staff a component of their bad attitudes?

I know; snarky but...... 

Haha,

I agree with you.

The Thais in their own country do not like other people correcting them, showing them a better way, not respecting the age-old ' I am older, so I  know more ' philosophy or ' their system '

Those brought up or educated abroad won't be necessarily rude but may be direct, in comparison to what local Thais are used to, as they will just give an honest answer to a set of circumstances and not "dance around the houses"  like they do in Thailand.

I actually know of an instance up here, where a foreign teacher has pointed out ways to improve a technique or save money or an efficient saving way of doing something; only to be branded a ' show off ' or not a team player and been ostracised and shortly after got rid of leaving the guy scratching his head as to where he went wrong.

3 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

They lived abroad and do not know how to respect customers ? So they were just brain sick, it was not due to them returning !

3 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

That's not what I meant and I suspect you know that's not what I meant.  In Thai culture there is a strong deference to be polite in the Thai way, not ask abruptly for confirmation of time, date, location, etc., etc.

Further, in any management consultancy junior staff politely request that a question from the client be referred to their senior, especially if it's a question about content of a proposal or a next step in the work, etc., etc.

On the other hand I've seen plenty of staff, all levels, all working situations in western countries who have no clue as to what 'customer service' means.  

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:19 PM, EcigAmateur said:

How can a Thai not adapt to this country when some many foreigners born in civilized country can ?

It says a lot about what the Thai are...

I don't know but I was born in the UK and am still a UK citizen but have never really lived there apart from brief visits since I was a kid.  I normally visit London once every few years and after a week I can't wait to get out of the place.  Maybe that's just London though, I don't want to judge the whole place based on one city but I do feel like a foreigner there and really don't like the atmosphere of central London where I always stay (cuz of family). In short, I could never adapt to living in London even though I was born there and am 100% British.  

• 1 month later...

Thank you, all of you, for replying. I read and enjoyed your comments.

I decided not to return home. It's sad that I can't be Thai in substance though I'm Thai on paper. I took an associate position in a consulting firm, advisory and risk management, and I'm doubling down here.

I find a lot of the points risen here to be valid as I did see it first hand in my previous business trip to Bangkok and this topic only validated them to me. I especially agree on the cultural issue with seniority and respect even if the senior person is in the wrong. This is a sorry state of culture and will hinder/slow social maturity.

Edited by NotYetReady