Let's get rid of the ugly "extension of stay not approved" stamp.

ahhhh .... I have followed this ..

So basically if you enter on a non visa 30 day permit (which costs you nothing)  you can not extend your stay .. but if you applied for a 30 day tourist visa  (which you do have to pay for) before entering the Kingdom ... THEN you can extend your stay for 30 days ......

4 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

ahhhh .... I have followed this ..

So basically if you enter on a non visa 30 day permit (which costs you nothing)  you can not extend your stay .. but if you applied for a 30 day tourist visa  (which you do have to pay for) before entering the Kingdom ... THEN you can extend your stay for 30 days ......

No. If you enter visa exempt you can extend for 30 days.

There is no 30 day tourist visa.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

If you enter on the standard visa exempt scheme the 30 days you get can be extended for 30 days one time. If you get the 30 days from bilateral agreement no extension is allowed.

There is no 30 day tourist visa. Tourist visas allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days for those from most countries.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, glegolo said:

OMG - is it even possible to drag this thread out any longer. I thought that matter was clear and done with after 10 posts about...

glegolo

:-) .. May I ask.... if you do enter on a 30 day tourist visa ...  How 'many' 30 days extensions can you apply for, before you have to leave ?  Is it only one 30 day extension ?

7 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

:-) .. May I ask.... if you do enter on a 30 day tourist visa ...  How 'many' 30 days extensions can you apply for, before you have to leave ?  Is it only one 30 day extension ?

You can never extend the same thing twice....

glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you enter on the standard visa exempt scheme the 30 days you get can be extended for 30 days one time. If you get the 30 days from bilateral agreement no extension is allowed.

There is not 30 day tourist visa. Tourist visas allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 day for those from most countries.

Thanks for this info ...  Now I need to check if Norwegians are entering under the 30 day Visa Exempt Scheme or under the 30 days Bilateral Agreement ...

Oh ... and I better bring a blanket ... I see its rather cold in Thailand now  :-) ...

Edited by rvaviator

3 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

Thanks for this info ...  Now I need to check if Norwegians are entering under the 30 day Visa Exempt Scheme or under the 30 days Bilateral Agreement ...

Norwegians are under the standard visa exempt scheme.

Those from Hong Kong, Laos, Macau, Mongolia, Russia and Vietnam are under a bilateral agreement.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Norwegians are under the standard visa exempt scheme.

Those from Hong Kong, Laos, Macau, Mongolia, Russia and Vietnam are under a bilateral agreement.

Great :-) ... Would you know where the nearest immigration office is that I would have to go to if I need to extend for 30 days ?  I will stay in Sattahip ....   I assume it will be a good idea to apply for the extension 'early' ... i.e. at least a week before ...

16 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

Great :-) ... Would you know where the nearest immigration office is that I would have to go to if I need to extend for 30 days ?  I will stay in Sattahip ....   I assume it will be a good idea to apply for the extension 'early' ... i.e. at least a week before ...

You will do it at the office in Jomtien. You can do it a week early without a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rvaviator said:

There is no 30 day visa. It's a vise exempt entry.

You can extend the visa exempt entry by 30 days 'once.'

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rvaviator said:

how many times  '' there are no 30 day tourist visas''

16 hours ago, ethaniel said:

Yet my point stands. I request, they give. If they don't give, then it's a whole different story (and I'm at fault).

This is how laws change. If they are not convenient and people complain, then they need to be changed.

Unfortunately, most of the people are too compliant and don't understand that they can change things just by speaking out.

Your point does not stand, it only looks like it to you. Although you asked on the form for a 7 day extension, you received a 7 day courtesy period to leave the country. This courtesy period is the standard/automatic response when an application for extension of any number of days is rejected. It's only the coincidence that your 7 day request is the same number as the courtesy period. If you had asked for 30 days, 60 days, 2 1/2 days, you would still have received those 7 days to leave the country, due to your application being rejected.

• Like 1

Just to mention something on topic, hope no-one minds!

I can see the 7 day stamp would be a problem in some countries, India springs to mind.

Many years ago we arrived in Goa on holiday me 'n she and maybe 10 more on the plane were holding those wonderful 90 page big blue passports. The rest of of the passengers were proudly holding the new style red ones, they had just changed over, can't remember the year.

One of the IO's walked down the line and took the blue PP holders to the front and we got stamped in.

The holiday rep' was called and had to spend some time explaining to the local IO's that the rest were actually holding legal Brit/EU passports. 

They had never seen a Brit with a red passport and it took a while to get all the rest through.

Imagine at that time a new style passport with an extension refusal on the front page.

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You pay 1900 baht after applying for an extension and the extension is denied because you are not eligible for one and are granted 7 days to leave the country. It is just what immigration does it to give people a few extra days.

It is in the police order for extensions.

Ubonjoe, the visas rules encyclopedia :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I see what you mean, you meet someone in a bar and he says “you can always extend by seven days” and you go and ask for that and pay 1900 Baht!

That's why you don't go asking expats in bars for advice....they often get it wrong.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no 30 day tourist visa. Tourist visas allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days for those from most countries.

Ubonjoe

I was under the impression that tourist visa for countries that fall into the visa exempt get 60 days , whilst non visa exempt only get 30 days

I am also aware that certain countries such as Sri Lanka are only entitled to an extension of 7 days

3 hours ago, rvaviator said:

Oh ... and I better bring a blanket ... I see its rather cold in Thailand now  :-) ...

As a Norwegian you can enter under the 30 day Visa exempt scheme.

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/customize/62281-Summary-of-Countries-and-Territories-entitled-for.html

You can extend that permission to stay one time by 30 days at your local Immigration office using form TM7.

TM 7 Extension of Stay.pdf

You will need your passport and TM6 (Departure card)

Copy of the homepage of your passport

Copy of the TM6 card

Copy of your entry stamp.

Proof of your address.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

I was under the impression that tourist visa for countries that fall into the visa exempt get 60 days , whilst non visa exempt only get 30 days

That is not correct info. There are very few countries that don't get the a 60 day entry. I have never seen a posted list of countries that don't get 60 days.

6 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

I am also aware that certain countries such as Sri Lanka are only entitled to an extension of 7 days

There is no 7 day extension it is 7 days to leave the country because a person does not qualify for any extension.

These are the countries that cannot get a 30 day extension of a tourist visa entry.

Sri Lanka ,India,Pakistan,Bangladesh,Iran,Nepal,Togo,Nigeria,Uganda

Source: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_4

19 hours ago, ethaniel said:

I applied exactly for 7 days extension. 7 days is what I got. But with a "extension of stay not approve" phrase which is contradicting itself in nature.

As a Russian citizen you are allowed to enter Thailand for 30 days on a bilateral agreement.

You cannot extend this 30 days, unlike the nationalities who entered under the Visa exempt scheme.

However, you applied for an extension to the 30 days, which was duly and rightly refused, but given an extra 7 days grace period to depart Thailand. The stamp is correct. If you don't like the stamp, don't attempt to stay longer than the bilateral agreement between Russia and Thailand allows.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Maestro said:

Ethaniel, you did not post the arrival stamp you have in your passport, which would show the end date of the permission to stay when you arrived in Thailand, but from your extension disapproval stamp that date appears to be 19 NOV 2017. Two days before that date you went to an immigration office and applied for an extension of stay of seven days.

The current "Criteria and Conditions for Consideration of an Alien’s Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand" are listed in clauses 2.1 to 2.32 of the order of the Royal Thai Police No. 327/2557 (which has been wrongly translated as Order of the Immigration Bureau). Looking at your application and because of the lack of accompanying documents the immigration official must have recognised immediately that you did not qualify for any of the listed extensions and if you would have preferred to withdraw your application and leave Thailand not later than 19 NOV you would have reason to complain if the official did not explain this option to you, which would have avoided the extension disapproval stamp in your passport.

It appears, however, that you would have proceeded with your application anyway and on this basis the official applied paragraph four of the aforementioned Police Order:

This is the reason for the additional seven days you were allowed to stay despite the non-approval of your application. It may look like an extension of stay by seven days and de facto that's what if is, but from a legal point of view it is a grace period granted following the denial of your application.  You could have applied for three days or one hundred days, the result would have been exactly the same.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. This contains all the information that is needed.

However, even our local immigration office in Koh Samui has a special window with a sign "7-30 day extensions" (which means that the officers understand that this is confusing too). Since this is a problematic topic and raises questions among tourists, who are unfamiliar with the specific laws, I think that it will be good for TAT to get a few complaints regarding this (see post #1)

@Ubonjoe, can we close this thread please?