You are Going to Die – Are You Ready

Once Bitten

Nothing to worry about , just do what you enjoy and hope it will last until youre 100 years old. What kills us in the end are cancer and other diseases so you want to avoid that by taking good care of your body and eat the right food. Also fasting once a week helps your cells in the body to repair themselves. B and C vitamin , you can't get enough of that when youre getting older. Walk every day , if you can. Sitting for hours will just lead to blood clots and you will not get rid of the fat.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Yes, my biggest outlays are insurances but life is fickle. An example of one not being in control,as I have mentioned here before, my estranged wife caused me damages of 3 million Baht, to pay this I had to use money that I had put away for my sons higher education. There is no 100% safety but one can try within reason however don't forget yourself in the process,your enjoyment,within reason, shouldn't be secondary. I allow myself nothing, not because I am a saint but because I need nothing. The one thing I have learnt here is that Thais always seem to manage no matter what. I would say,without knowing your situation, buy your Mac, it's a simple enough pleasure and can be resold, maybe here on TV.

May be just may be I'm worrying a little to much and you observation that Thais always seem to manage no matter what really makes a good point and knowing my wife I have no doubt in my mind that she will survive after I'm gone .  Like you I really want for nothing and when my faithful iMac finally switches off for good I could go out and buy a cheap computer happy in the knowledge that what Ive saved by not splashing out 75,000 Baht on a dream MacBook Pro will go into the pot and be passed on when I'm gone.  Having said all that and thinking about your comment a new expensive Mac can be sold in the future plus add  the friends comment , why not treat your self your only here once and of course my strong belief that my wife will survive when I'm gone does make me start to wonder and question  if my on going burning desire to make personal sacrifices for the future benefit of my family is really the route to take.  :sad:

My problem with all this I thinks lies in my own past upbringing where I was taught that its a loving husbands duty to provide for his family even to the point of going with out and making sacrifices , its a feeling and belief that Ive always held .

1 hour ago, balo said:

Nothing to worry about , just do what you enjoy and hope it will last until youre 100 years old. What kills us in the end are cancer and other diseases so you want to avoid that by taking good care of your body and eat the right food. Also fasting once a week helps your cells in the body to repair themselves. B and C vitamin , you can't get enough of that when youre getting older. Walk every day , if you can. Sitting for hours will just lead to blood clots and you will not get rid of the fat.

I'm trying my best to stay healthy and by coincidence I have just lately started to fast once a week and my trusty torture machine ( tread mill ) gets daily use. 

My physical aspect is not currently worrying  me , its my ongoing mental state that's causing me stress , that little voice inside my head which seems so intent on reminding me that I'm on a loosing age battle . Every where I'm constantly reminded that some day I will get a knock at my door from a black clocked skeleton with a scythe in his bony hand , I start to watch old films and its populated by dead people or a good friend has just passed away or some one who I once admired now looks like an old man .

Reading the forums health and medicine section only starts to depress me ,  my monthly health insurance premiums are like a thorn in my side ,  every where I go be it to the Mall shopping or taking the car in for a service or getting my regular blood test done its the same story . I seem to be the oldest person around :sad:

When I get on a songthaew baht bus I all ways offer my seat to an older person , now people are standing up and offering me their seat , the list is endless like when I use to look in my bathroom shaving mirror , their staring right back at me would be my old dad , now in the same shaving mirror I only see my grandfather. 

Its becoming plainly evident that the sand in the upturned hour glass is starting to run out. 

Its a good job I'm not a drinking man :sad:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The thing that scares me about it is precisely because it's not within my control, and I'm worried it'll happen just when something good happens to me, and I don't want to pass over.

Death is inevitable, but it's the uncertainty as to when that is disturbing.

If you really think about life you will come to the conclusion that you aren't in control of anything anyway. We can't even control our thoughts or moods, if we could we would always be happy no matter what,we would have no fears. You don't control your breathing,your blood circulation,your temperature control,your sexuality,your eye blinking, your sense of balance,all this is done for you. You have a good experience, a bad experience, an amusing encounter, an argument, an accident, none of this is controlled by you, you feel wistful,feel lonely,feel happy,feel angry, it is what is, it arises without your doing, it isn't even for you. it is being but it has nothing to do with the 'me' that thinks it is in control.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, balo said:

My dad never visited a hospital for surgery until he was around 70, he never got seriously ill until in his late 80's. But he didn't worry too much , and was a heavy smoker , believe it or not, but did not drink alcohol much .  Insurance? Only free public health care. (this is in Norway) .

The thing about him he was always active , with his job as a farmer and also other jobs,  he looked 20 years younger than most his age.  

But I think the main reason for his health was all the activity he did at the farm, and lots of fresh air. Was he depressed a few times? Yes I think so in his 70's but he always had future projects he wanted to do, even at old age , he never really retired . 

Than at 92 , 2 weeks at hospital and he was gone. The week before he was out fishing. 

So I hope I can follow his example. And it's never too late to start repairing your body . 

And just to remind you this is 2018 , The Rolling Stones just announced a new European Tour starting in March . 

Jagger and Richards are now 74 years old , unbelievable. 

Ive often wondered if longevity of ones life may be in some way tied to family genetics , in my own case my dad passed away aged 66 one year after retiring from a long working life , he rarely had holidays opting to save the money for when he finally retired ,  so he in his words could travel and see more of the world.  He was a heavy smoker all his life and that contributed to his death
My mother was 46 when she passed away , Brest Cancer .

As for Jagger and Richards , I don't know how they do it :shock1:

I wonder who is the oldest forum member who still post here on thaivisa , please don't tell me ... its me !! ... I don't want to know :biggrin:

2 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

Ive often wondered if longevity of ones life may be in some way tied to family genetics , in my own case my dad passed away aged 66 one year after retiring from a long working life , he rarely had holidays opting to save the money for when he finally retired ,  so he in his words could travel and see more of the world.  He was a heavy smoker all his life and that contributed to his death
My mother was 46 when she passed away , Brest Cancer .

As for Jagger and Richards , I don't know how they do it :shock1:

I wonder who is the oldest forum member who still post here on thaivisa , please don't tell me ... its me !! ... I don't want to know :biggrin:

Longevity is not only due to the genes from your parents but also the life style of your grandparents, did they suffer hunger, what sort of work did they do etc. there is a name for it but I have forgotten it,there were several interesting studies done on the subject. Important is not only the genes but which ones are turned off or on, as I remember you can inherit certain genes from your mother or father but the life situations that your grandparents had can determine whether these genes are active or not. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

As for Jagger and Richards , I don't know how they do it 

I know that Jagger changed his lifestyle many years ago , in his 50's I think . No drugs but a lot of veggies. 

But Richards I don't know , he is a living ghost. 

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:53 PM, soalbundy said:

Every age has its benefits, I am nearly 70 and can honestly say that I feel happier now than when I was 30. I read recently an article in 'der Spiegel' that people 70+ tended to be happy and contented despite age related illnesses. It is said that youth is wasted on the young but I feel the era of youth is overrated, to many testosterone fueled interests distract one from what really is. Getting home at 4 in the morning and waiting for the hangover compares badly now where I get up at 4 in the morning and go for a dark walk around the nearby lake sit and muse and wait for the rising sun,watch the reflections in the water and listen to the first bird songs,watch the fish splash in the water and observe the people start to work on their vegetable patches next to the lake, I return home full of joy and a deep sense of being. 

70+ people only feel happy if they have enough money to live the life they want to.

Someone trying to survive on a pension and having to choose between the Dr and eating are not happy or content.

Otherwise, you are probably correct, though I'd certainly rather be 20 going on thirty than what I actually am.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd certainly rather be 20 going on thirty than what I actually am.

I didn't have that good a time in my 20s, was too busy working to have a life.

My 50s have been the best part of my life, and my 60s are just as good (so far).

Would you really want to run in the rat race again?

I'm thinking it's a lot harder now than it was when we were young.

Sure, I wouldn't want to be old and ill, but I wouldn't object to being dead.

(I'm hoping dead will come first)

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 4:53 PM, soalbundy said:

to many testosterone fueled interests distract one from what really is. Getting home at 4 in the morning and waiting for the hangover compares badly now where I get up at 4 in the morning and go for a dark walk around the nearby lake sit and muse and wait for the rising sun,

Was out till 2am the last 4 nights, had to go home then because the police came round and shut the bars. Breakfast at 7:30, first beers on the pier at 11am, nap in the heat of the afternoon, and the drinking restarting at sundown.

At age 62, the beer was still flowing and the girls were still hopeful.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

1 minute ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I didn't have that good a time in my 20s, was too busy working to have a life.

My 50s have been the best part of my life, and my 60s are just as good (so far).

Would you really want to run in the rat race again?

I'm thinking it's a lot harder now than it was when we were young.

Wasn't a rat race for me. I travelled the world on the government's dime, and had the most amazing life. Learned a lot too ( but not enough to not get involved with a woman with children ).

I'd like to go back at the end of that great period so I could have the benefit of the knowledge I'd gained, and would know not to get tied down with a woman, so my thirties would be even better.

My thirties should have been great, but the wrong woman is able to easily destroy a man's life.

My fifties were only good because I discovered LOS. My job sucked big time, but it did finance fun in Siam.

My sixties were ruined by another woman. Guess I never learned till too late.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 9:04 PM, Once Bitten said:

My problem with all this I thinks lies in my own past upbringing where I was taught that its a loving husbands duty to provide for his family even to the point of going with out and making sacrifices , its a feeling and belief that Ive always held .

That was before feminism, now they're all strong, capable, independent women happy to survive on their own skills.

Leave them nothing.

• Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:04 PM, Once Bitten said:

Been there, got the T shirt. Society really did a great brainwashing job on me.

If I could do it over, I'd protect myself, as my lot took me for everything and gave me sod all in return.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Was out till 2am the last 4 nights, had to go home then because the police came round and shut the bars. Breakfast at 7:30, first beers on the pier at 11am, nap in the heat of the afternoon, and the drinking restarting at sundown.

I am able to take advance bookings for funeral....singing.gif.3c30c801a305003c97ea0080a6a61e50.gif...which you may like to consider...My rendition of I did it "My Way" goes down a treat...:laugh:

13 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

All those guys going on about living properly, and eating right are only correct if we want to live a life so boring we wish we'd already died. I see no point in staying healthy enough to live till my 90s when I'll probably end up rotting in a nursing home with zero quality of life.

I was never close to my father, but when I visited him shortly before he died, it really upset me to see how he had to live, and he was in an expensive care home, so wouldn't have had better.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, transam said:

I am able to take advance bookings for funeral....singing.gif.3c30c801a305003c97ea0080a6a61e50.gif...which you may like to consider...My rendition of I did it "My Way" goes down a treat...:laugh:

Are you more 'Sid' or 'Frank'?

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

All those guys going on about living properly, and eating right are only correct if we want to live a life so boring we wish we'd already died. I see no point in staying healthy enough to live till my 90s when I'll probably end up rotting in a nursing home with zero quality of life.

I was never close to my father, but when I visited him shortly before he died, it really upset me to see how he had to live, and he was in an expensive care home, so wouldn't have had better.

You and I will be on our death bed at some time..Folk looking at us may feel the same as you looking at us...All part of arriving and leaving...

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Been there, got the T shirt. Society really did a great brainwashing job on me.

If I could do it over, I'd protect myself, as my lot took me for everything and gave me sod all in return.

#MeToo.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:12 PM, Once Bitten said:

I'm trying my best to stay healthy and by coincidence I have just lately started to fast once a week and my trusty torture machine ( tread mill ) gets daily use. 

My physical aspect is not currently worrying  me , its my ongoing mental state that's causing me stress , that little voice inside my head which seems so intent on reminding me that I'm on a loosing age battle . Every where I'm constantly reminded that some day I will get a knock at my door from a black clocked skeleton with a scythe in his bony hand , I start to watch old films and its populated by dead people or a good friend has just passed away or some one who I once admired now looks like an old man .

Reading the forums health and medicine section only starts to depress me ,  my monthly health insurance premiums are like a thorn in my side ,  every where I go be it to the Mall shopping or taking the car in for a service or getting my regular blood test done its the same story . I seem to be the oldest person around :sad:

When I get on a songthaew baht bus I all ways offer my seat to an older person , now people are standing up and offering me their seat , the list is endless like when I use to look in my bathroom shaving mirror , their staring right back at me would be my old dad , now in the same shaving mirror I only see my grandfather. 

Its becoming plainly evident that the sand in the upturned hour glass is starting to run out. 

Its a good job I'm not a drinking man :sad:

that little voice inside my head which seems so intent on reminding me that I'm on a loosing age battle

I know it's hard, but it's possible to stop thinking of death as something scary, and look on it as the portal to another existence.

However, if one has no belief in a power greater than ourselves, that is difficult.

Perhaps you need to stop being afraid of what is coming and learn to live in the present. If you speak any Thai, I'm sure your local temple monks can help you with that.

staring right back at me would be my old dad , now in the same shaving mirror I only see my grandfather. 

When I was younger, I looked like my mother, then I started to look like my dad. I didn't know my grandfathers to know if I look like them yet.

What is more scary though, is that I've been taking on my father's characteristics over several years now. Unfortunately, I took on my mother's lack of financial success, so ended up like her, rather than my father, who died a rich man.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

What ever your wishes are, but I will not use expletives as ladies may be present...:stoner:

No 'ladies' at my funeral, but my wife is hoping to be there.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Haha 2

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:12 AM, soalbundy said:

If you really think about life you will come to the conclusion that you aren't in control of anything anyway. We can't even control our thoughts or moods, if we could we would always be happy no matter what,we would have no fears. You don't control your breathing,your blood circulation,your temperature control,your sexuality,your eye blinking, your sense of balance,all this is done for you. You have a good experience, a bad experience, an amusing encounter, an argument, an accident, none of this is controlled by you, you feel wistful,feel lonely,feel happy,feel angry, it is what is, it arises without your doing, it isn't even for you. it is being but it has nothing to do with the 'me' that thinks it is in control.

Agreed with that, as far as it goes.

What I'm on about is my ability to control where I lived, and where I worked etc.

Even now, I'm 100% in control of whether I come on TVF and spend time chatting, or read a good book.

I had no control as to my birth, and the first 17 years of my life. Since then, I've chosen what I did.

At the end, I'd like to control when I die.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:22 AM, balo said:

But I think the main reason for his health was all the activity he did at the farm, and lots of fresh air. Was he depressed a few times? Yes I think so in his 70's but he always had future projects he wanted to do, even at old age , he never really retired . 

Than at 92 , 2 weeks at hospital and he was gone. The week before he was out fishing. 

A friend of mine ( or at least a friendly father of a girl I liked ) was also a farmer all his life, till he had a stroke. Unfortunately he didn't die then, and suffered every day till he did some years later. It was so sad seeing him trying to do things and just getting frustrated.

Life is sometimes a vicious practical joke.

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A friend of mine ( or at least a friendly father of a girl I liked ) was also a farmer all his life, till he had a stroke. Unfortunately he didn't die then, and suffered every day till he did some years later. It was so sad seeing him trying to do things and just getting frustrated.

Life is sometimes a vicious practical joke.

No, that is life and life expiration...Humans ain't special, we live and die.End of our planet "creatures" story..