Is there any point renewing the drivers license from back home?

davidst01

My DL from the nanny state back home is coming up for renewal. I have a Thai car and bike license. 

The renewal form online says that I can only renew once from overseas. I think I did it online overseas before- over 10 yrs ago. I hate the stupid / pathetic rules made up by the old folk back home. Its annoying for me to have to fly back there when I really have no desire to do it. Why can't one have several renewals whilst living overseas. Whats the point of the rule?

The only reason I can see why its worthwhile is for applying for things. For example, I was able to use it to register with several bitcoin exchanges recently. 

Is it worth spending thousands flying back there to get another 5 yrs DL? I would take the wife and baby I suppose. Its a good excuse to go there. About the only valid reason. You couldn't pay me to live in the nanny state of Australia. 

Any opinions on this are appreciated. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not just Oz but USA has recently gone down this path (but we have 50 states doing their own thing so not everyone).  I had been renewing Florida for about 20 years but no more.  Reason is given as identity theft.

If you younger there may be reason to renew - most things seem to require two photo ID's these days (and in my case Thai DL has photo from 48 years ago).  

Edited by lopburi3

I wouldn't fly back just because of your license renewal.

Should something happen and you've got to go home, you can apply for an international driving permit at your provincial transport department, just to be on the safe side.

It's only a few hours and a few hundred baht. 

9 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Should something happen and you've got to go home, you can apply for an international driving permit at your provincial transport department, just to be on the safe side.

not if your real license has expired

You should renew it one way or another. In the UK this is easy as it's all done via the post, I guess it must be different down under.

If you don't renew it and do nothing for a few years and then at some point you return to Australia you will revert to being a learner driver again won't you ?

36 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Australia doesnt require IDP for a Thai license, My wife has driven on a Thai license (and did a breath test stop), and we even went to the dept of transport to ask prior. IDP is only required, as a translation document, if license isnt in english.

Edited by Peterw42

Why tell them you are overseas when you want to renew on line...do you not have a friend in Oz for use of address...? I am also coming up to decision time as I am in the 70s... and soon will require health certificate to renew. I dont want to lose my Oz license but last time I went over  I was nearly 1 year out of date--so I got an international from Thailand....when I got there surprise to fined, you can be right up over 1 year before you lose it .

One thing is for sure...after living/driving  here 20 years---I would never be able to pass the Oz test again.............:goof:

Collect enough tickets when I just do a visit....

6 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Why tell them you are overseas when you want to renew on line...do you not have a friend in Oz for use of address...? I am also coming up to decision time as I am in the 70s... and soon will require health certificate to renew. I dont want to lose my Oz license but last time I went over  I was nearly 1 year out of date--so I got an international from Thailand....when I got there surprise to fined, you can be right up over 1 year before you lose it .

One thing is for sure...after living/driving  here 20 years---I would never be able to pass the Oz test again.............:goof:

You woudnt need to pass the test, you can convert a thai license to an oz license with no test. 

Depending on the state I think your current license sits in limbo if not paid, you dont loose it. I returned to NSW after living interstate for 10 years, photo and payment and got license back, even the same license number.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Depending on the state I think your current license sits in limbo if not paid, you dont loose it. I returned to NSW after living interstate for 10 years, photo and payment and got license back, even the same license number.

That must have changed somewhat---because you can not convert a Kiwi into an Oz without sitting the questions...(not the driving test)

If they just accept a Thai Licence for change then the OP has no problems letting it lapse.  From Qld...but I thought the laws were now uniformed on this

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

You should renew it one way or another. In the UK this is easy as it's all done via the post, I guess it must be different down under.

If you don't renew it and do nothing for a few years and then at some point you return to Australia you will revert to being a learner driver again won't you ?

You must reside in UK to renew.

3 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

At least you'd drive on the right side of the road. When I was back, I wanted to take a roundabout on the left side.

Fortunately was it in one of my brother's driving school cars, and he sat next to me, asking me if I'd be stupid...:shock1:

Personal opinions of one's homeland being a nanny state and other clichés shouldn't detract from any rights to legally have the DL from said homeland. In many countries, it is still a broadly accepted and often requested form of personal ID. If your home country does not have legislation that specifically mandates that a national that is no longer resident cannot legally possess and/or renew a DL, then get over yourself and get/renew one.

Burning bridges is fine in love and war but it's not advisable in work and definitely not a good idea when it comes to maintaining significant, enabling links to your home country. Circumstances can change and not just the personal ones.

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

LOL

Laughable notion a few years ago but there is a stiff fine, I think £1000, if one is caught using a UKDL when technically you are not entitled to one per DVLA rules. I know that one has to be caught first (accident or speeding ticket?) and how non-residence would need to be proven before it could be enforced. However, since they scan your UK passport when you come into the country, they already have your rough location on a database somewhere, ie. in the UK but several months/years since your last scanned entry to the UK. They don't need to know when you left.

With all these databases being shared, it's not rocket surgery really.

In the meantime, like countless others, I retain what I am legally not entitled to because like countless others, I feel I'm entitled to one anyway!

Interesting topic, one I have given some thought to.

I left UK permanently in 1982.  I have kept my UKDL registered address at my sister's address.  I did that when the licence changed from a booklet style to the computer print style. I have never applied for the photo licence as there is no requirement to do so.

Now my UKDL will expire next year on my 70th birthday.  I could re-apply (need to state nil medical problem that would affect driving) but I would have to make the clear, written and incorrect, statement that I reside at my sister's address in UK.

Now that would certainly work, and I would get my licence renewed. 

Until I had an accident.  Then all would be revealed and I would probably be deemed as driving unlicensed so my insurance would probably be invalidated and all would go into the cess pit in short order.

I won't be renewing my UKDL!

(I do resent this as I cannot see why, as a UK citzen, renewing my UK driving licence should be dependant upon me being resident).

40 minutes ago, Jangot said:

I left UK permanently in 1982.  I have kept my UKDL registered address at my sister's address.  I did that when the licence changed from a booklet style to the computer print style. I have never applied for the photo licence as there is no requirement to do so.

Now my UKDL will expire next year on my 70th birthday.  I could re-apply (need to state nil medical problem that would affect driving) but I would have to make the clear, written and incorrect, statement that I reside at my sister's address in UK.

Until I had an accident.  Then all would be revealed and I would probably be deemed as driving unlicensed so my insurance would probably be invalidated and all would go into the cess pit in short order.

(I do resent this as I cannot see why, as a UK citzen, renewing my UK driving licence should be dependant upon me being resident).

If you have a Thai licence you can use that to drive in the UK.

Unlike you, I don't consider myself to have moved permanently to Thailand, although I have lived here since 2005!  I work here, so on the day I quit my job I will return to the UK.  Like you, my address in the UK is my sister's and I will have to stay with her if I return, until I can sort out my own accommodation.  I have therefore renewed my UK licence and will continue to do so!

Hi, I just went back to Aus for 6mth stay with family, and I wish I never let my HD drivers license expire!

I also have a Thai DL but you Can Not just renew from Thai License. Qld you must sit test and do driving test.

Nsw You must do test on computer, no driving test if you had a previous license Aust.

I renewed my HD license 3 times for 5yrs each time and let it lapse in 2011.

They said I could have renewed it with out testing up to 5yrs after expirery. I just missed that by a few months!

So I had to do the test again on computer in NSW. as I wanted to renew my Aus L. Unfortunately if I wanted the HD license,

I had to do the driving test again, and I didnot have a vehicle to use, so that is how it is in Australia right now.

From experience. Mouldy

18 hours ago, ukrules said:

Interesting. I received a letter from the DVLC in the UK few years ago instructing me to renew my license as the photo on the current one would be 10 years old. I telephoned them and explained that I now lived in Thailand. The nice lady told me that you can only renew your license if you have a current UK address. 

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Laughable notion a few years ago but there is a stiff fine, I think £1000, if one is caught using a UKDL when technically you are not entitled to one per DVLA rules. I know that one has to be caught first (accident or speeding ticket?) and how non-residence would need to be proven before it could be enforced. However, since they scan your UK passport when you come into the country, they already have your rough location on a database somewhere, ie. in the UK but several months/years since your last scanned entry to the UK. They don't need to know when you left.

With all these databases being shared, it's not rocket surgery really.

In the meantime, like countless others, I retain what I am legally not entitled to because like countless others, I feel I'm entitled to one anyway!

Indeed. They are getting much smarter at cross referencing all the government departmental data bases.

If you claim a UK address with the DLVC to renew a license and are registered as non resident with HMRC for tax, you might raise a flag somewhere!

19 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

He has renewed licence once from o.s. Would need a pic taken. I will go back to renew and see family etc. If your not intending to drive in oz then may not be worth it. Seems Thai licence may be acceptable so email to NSW DMV with your questions may be best option.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Indeed. They are getting much smarter at cross referencing all the government departmental data bases.

If you claim a UK address with the DLVC to renew a license and are registered as non resident with HMRC for tax, you might raise a flag somewhere!

The UK address requirement is not only for renewal, it applies even if you change your address temporarily inside the UK. Currently GBP 1,000 fine for not informing them where you live. Declaring an incorrect address on the renewal form is tantamount to fraud, and subject to criminal charges.

I did not renew this year because it is only a matter of time before all this information is tied together and they start sieving through it.

4 hours ago, Jangot said:

Just as being a UK tax payer and living officially in Thailand doesn't entitle you to free UK NHS treatment if you are non resident in the UK. Total crap.

20 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

You woudnt need to pass the test, you can convert a thai license to an oz license with no test. 

I spoke to the licensing dept in NSW recently as my Thai wife’s NSW licence is due to expire.

They advised that you have up to 5 years to renew from the expiry date but of course cannot use in the meantime

I have been considering whether to renew mine as you can use a Thai licence in Aus but officially need a IDP from Thailand which is easy to get

I understand though that as far as the police are concerned as long as the details on the licence are in English that’s all they are concerned about.

As a matter of interest we have our licenses registered at a friends address in Sydney has never been a problem

1 hour ago, 12DrinkMore said:

The UK address requirement is not only for renewal, it applies even if you change your address temporarily inside the UK. Currently GBP 1,000 fine for not informing them where you live. Declaring an incorrect address on the renewal form is tantamount to fraud, and subject to criminal charges.

I did not renew this year because it is only a matter of time before all this information is tied together and they start sieving through it.

OK leaving aside breaking the law and fraud I obtained a UK paper licence in the early seventies when I was working and living in the UK.

The licence is still current as it is registered at a UK address, somewhere along the line a letter was received advising that it was valid until I was seventy

Since that time I was able to convert it to a photo licence from Australia without visiting the UK and also at least once had to submit an up to date photo again without visiting the UK

I have never used the licence since the seventies but sometimes it is interesting to “test the system”

Of course I am not registered to pay any UK income tax

If they want to prosecute me well good luck, I think they will have as much chance as the Thai Government will in repatriating the Shinawatra clan.