Blue Line to rip out 30% of seats to increase capacity.

Crossy

The solution is more cars for both MRT and  BTS as well as adequate dispensers selling the cards.  In addition, there must be ways to allow the handicapped or immobile elderly to use both of these systems. The BTS has still not put in escalators in all stations nor elevators that work and this has already been ordered by the Administrative Court.

One good thing is the MRT does give a 50% discount for those over the age of 65- whether Thai or Foreigner. The BTS does not allow a Foreigner to receive the discount.

32 minutes ago, newnative said:

I think many don't want to move deeper into the train car because the cars get so packed with people it's very hard to exit  and very unpleasant having to push your way through people packed in so tightly. Some may worry about missing their stop while they try to worm their way to the exit. 

And people standing near the doors would not want to give way to people who wants to move in or going up. I hope people here could get more education on how to use metro trains... 

I've also came across foreigners especially tourists who have never used a metro train before carrying big bags and blocking the entrance. BTS operators should put up more signs and videos educating people on how to use the trains instead of showing meaningless ads.

Overcrowding on both the MRT and the BTS is only going to get worse in the next few years. This is as a direct result of those failings characteristic of Thailand - corruption right from the initial bidding process onward, an historic lack of political will, planning and forethought in the early stages, and an inability to drive large-scale infrastructure projects through to completion within budget and on time. In addition, concessionaires of BOT projects such as the BTS are allowed, through poorly-worded and legally-feeble contracts, to get away with scrimping on services at the expense of customers; hence there are still, after eighteen years of BTS service, too few lifts (and half of existing ones seem to be permanently out of service), too few escalators and too few carriages, together with supporting facilities such as service booths, ticket machines and turnstiles. Much of the same criticism can be levelled too at the MRT.

I have a strong suspicion that exponential growth in passenger numbers going forward will mean that, despite the present military government belatedly forcing through and fast-tracking new lines, Bangkok will never reach a point where urban transport supply matches demand adequately.

22 hours ago, newnative said:

Instead of removing seats they need to be adding rail cars.  Some trains often only have 5 or 6 rail cars and no matter when I travel, it's always crowded.  They need to check out Sydney's double decker rail cars.  Bangkok really needs to step it up with its metro--it's getting ever more usage but is really not that good as it is. Especially poor for tourists as there are few fare card machines at most stations so often long waits to buy a card.   and needs lots of improvements.

Oh right, Sydney has such a great rail system.

3 minutes ago, newnative said:

Worked fine for my partner and me as tourists and we never had to stand.

3 minutes ago, newnative said:

Worked fine for my partner and me as tourists and we never had to stand.

Try being a commuter there.Old, dirty trains. Often late and often extremely crowded during peak hour.  The primary objective of the trains here is for locals. It may not be perfect for tourists but it is a huge improvement on the past.

Three car (carriage) trains are long outmoded here.  New York carries many more passengers but mainline trains there are mostly eight and ten car lengths.  Instead of just lining the pockets of the various contract holders, cars should be added to both the MRT and  BTS in order to serve the present and potential passenger loads. Before someone tries to correct me, I know that most, if not all, station platforms can only accommodate six train cars.  More room = more passengers, passengers squeezed together and having to wait for three or four trains in order to board = more people in their cars and more traffic jams.

And PLEASE, no more of those awful Chinese built trains which on the BTS seem to be constantly trying to test your balance abilities when coming to a stop.  

Edited by snooky

21 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

...maybe put handles on the outside so the extra riders can hang on like in India  !

The buses in BKK back in the late 70's always had several people protruding from the open doors and the stair wells were packed during rush hours.  Made the buses lean over a bit.