Netizens cry foul as Saraburi "tourist" cows eat up 20 million baht

webfact

7pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thailand's online community demanded answers after it was revealed that a load of cow mascots promoting tourism in Saraburi had set the authorities back 20 million baht.

They wanted to know why the mascots were so expensive and what was the point of them.

While the authorities came back that it was all above board - even the ministry had said it was alright.

Thai Rath reported that there were two kinds of figures - 1.2 meter tall cows costing 110,000 baht each and 1.8 meter ones at 170,000 baht a go.

Some 141 of the mascots had been produced at a total cost including other expenses of 20 million baht. The one in our picture cost 170,000 baht to put in place.

Netizens asked why it was so expensive and said that the money should have been spent on something better and more necessary.

But the Saraburi authorities claimed that tenders had been put out and it was all above board with ministerial regulations being followed to the letter.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-20

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’m sure the local hospital is delighted with the cows and doesn’t need any new equipment...... so let’s look into who owns the companies that made and installed these cows..... someone needs a bullet to the back of the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

10 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

"Tourist Cows"..........exactly what tourists come to Thailand to see, I'll be sending all my friends to Saraburi to witness this spectacle. Amazing!

Now if they end as tourist 'Steaks' served with frosty mugs of ale...then they might have a winner !

9 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

I’m sure the local hospital is delighted with the cows and doesn’t need any new equipment...... so let’s look into who owns the companies that made and installed these cows..... someone needs a bullet to the back of the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Don't worry...Toon and can run North to South next year to make up the difference.

24 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

"Tourist Cows"..........exactly what tourists come to Thailand to see, I'll be sending all my friends to Saraburi to witness this spectacle. Amazing!

Perhaps all the cows in China have all died from pollution.

Or this idea can only be thought out from the brains of buffaloes...

27 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Obviously, the usual ways of "making" money have been thwarted, possibly, by the current regime so different tactics are required....

It does seem insanely expensive for fibreglass cows !

It is the usual way..overpriced with kickbacks. Nothing has changed.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Shame they weren't giant chickens or that would have been a beaut of a headline.

Perhaps 

"Netizens who herd of tourist cows are mooved to complain at cost'

1 hour ago, webfact said:

1.2 meter tall cows costing 110,000 baht each and 1.8 meter ones at 170,000

In Saraburi 1,000 Baht buys almost exactly 1 cm of fibreglass cow.

If they had spent the whole 20 million on one huge cow, it would have been an incredibly impressive 200 metres high, and no-one would have been moaning.

It would be the tallest cow on the planet.

6 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

In Saraburi 1,000 Baht buys almost exactly 1 cm of fibreglass cow.

If they had spent the whole 20 million on one huge cow, it would have been an incredibly impressive 200 metres high, and no-one would have been moaning.

It would be the tallest cow on the planet.

Someone would be moaning...

11 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Someone would be moaning...

Yeah, s'pose so.

The party-pooping band of perma-moaners on TV would be downing the gripe water again (which, incidentally, has never been effective, particularly since they removed alcohol from the list of ingredients, which started many a youngster down the slippery slope).

Edited by 12DrinkMore

It is actually cheaper to buy a real cow...... on a similar note - I can never get over the Garden centres here that sell giant concrete chickens, Zebras and Giraffes. The reason I was told for the latter 2 is because it is the only way to see such animals in LoS as they don't occur naturally......... 

2 hours ago, Thian said:

It's all above board and there was NO corruption involved...

btw: How you like my new Benz? You like the special color?

Only in Thailand would cows be used to attract tourists. Other countries who actually want tourists would have put up posters and billboards and TV ads showing pretty Thai girls in Bikinis; hopefully not bleached white Thai girls, but real home grown beauties who are not ashamed of their brown skin or who do not want to be as white as a western girl. Stupid is as stupid does, and this does look rather stupid, above board or not.  MMMMMOOOOOOOO

2 hours ago, webfact said:

But the Saraburi authorities claimed that tenders had been put out and it was all above board with ministerial regulations being followed to the letter.

Love to see the tender returns and cost breakdown.

Or was it just one tender of 1.2m 120,000, 1.8m @ 170,000