Phuket police scandal stirs fears of bribe-taking nationwide

webfact

By The Nation

d50265a13930a7718d0147fc3b4ad163.jpeg

In the wake of the corruption investigation focusing on Phuket police, academics and stakeholders told a seminar held by the watchdog Police Watch that business operators on the island face police extortion worth millions of baht per month.

The seminar was held at the Thai Journalist Association in Bangkok on Sunday.

[Related report: Police ‘need time’ for probe into Phuket officers]

Thammarat Suwanphosri, founder and administrator of the “Spotlight Phuket” webpage, said he had filed complaints with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and the Royal Thai Police’s Inspector-General’s Office about extortion in Phuket, citing increasing amounts being demanded for bribes and unnamed “good” officers who wished the issue to be exposed.

In the past week, several police officers have been transferred as a result of the investigation.

Thammarat said the practice of demanding bribes had several root causes, included that police positions had to be bought at five key precincts, prompting officers to demand bribes to compensate for the payments.

The Patong area has seen the most bribes with Bt8 million to Bt22 million being collected per month from several business groups, including those involving immigrant workers, entertainment venues, shops selling counterfeit goods, football gambling and illegal lottery bookies, Thammarat said.

He added that a Phuket construction camp that used to pay Bt1,000 per employee per month in bribery was now being charged Bt10,000 per employee.

Police officers were also profiting by owning shares in businesses backed by Chinese investors, he said.

However, Thammarat said he believed the illegal practices would be phased out as the local economy became more efficiently regulated, with new rules for migrant workers and the adoption of an old proposal about rezoning areas where entertainment venues operate to establish a new licensing system.

Entertainment venues were also being allowed to stay open later in the meantime, which lessened police opportunities to demand bribes, he added.

Pol Colonel Wirut Sirisawatdibutr, former deputy commander at the Inspector-General’s Office and an adviser on police reforms, said there should be a “Spotlight Thailand” for the entire country to fight corruption.

The issue of bribery did not just affect businesses, he said, but also caused consumers to pay higher prices and decreased efficiency.

Wirut said Phuket was troubled by multiple forms of bribe-taking, including extorting money from heavy trucks to allow them to travel the roads, resulting in pavement damage that leads to higher accident risks and the Highway Department having to pay millions of baht each year for repairs.

He asked the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) to take action based on the NACC Act’s Section 103, which prescribes punishment for people who illegally acquire assets worth more than Bt3,000. At present, he added, no one was being punished under the measure intended to curb bribe-taking.

He said criminal charges also seemed to target only the officials who actually collected the bribes, instead of the higher-level beneficiaries of the graft, so tackling the issue must be done systematically.

He added that provincial governors and local administration officials should be empowered to investigate suspicions of corruption instead of being vulnerable to lawsuits for allegedly revealing “confidential information”.

Sangsit Piriyarangsan, dean of Rangsit University’s College of Social Innovation, said the police force was not the only organisation plagued by the purchase of offices and bribe-taking, but the nature of the institution meant that there were knock-on consequences for other related agencies and wider social problems.

He added that the use of the anti-money laundering law against private firms regarding “zero-dollar tours”, which allegedly tricked tourists into paying exorbitant prices after promising low-cost services, had caused the public to misunderstand that the law only applied to the private sector, when it could also be applied to state officials and the government.

Police Watch coordinator Somsri Han-ananthasuk said the public should be able to speak out in public about police misdeeds without being vulnerable to libel suits.

Thammarat provide a good example of a citizen stepping forward to help society, she said, urging the government to carry out police reforms for the public benefit and not for the sake of police officers.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30332063

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-20

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"the public should be able to speak out in public about police misdeeds without being vulnerable to libel suits."

thats going to need a change in the laws,until then ,they are protected by the libel and computer  crimes acts,

but this is also used by Politicians ,and  HiSo's,to cover up their wrong doings,so nothing is going to change soon,

if ever.

regards worgeordie

50 minutes ago, webfact said:

The only thing that headline is missing are the words "actually being admitted." at the end of the sentence. Everyone knows it is simply the way things are, but God forbid, it should ever be acknowledged. Thailand's precious image could suffer.

problem is they dont want to investigate their own in case they are found out, we all know how corrupt they are but the investigations are being hampered by the hierarchy, if they actually removed all the corrupt officers they would need a new police force as most would be gone.

Where is Article 44 when it is really required? Someone needs to tell PM Prayut and the National Anti-Corruption Commission that the police are involved in corruption. I am sure they would be shocked to hear the righteous RTP as upholders of the law are instead breaking it to steal from others and line their filthy pockets. 

They used Article 44 to fix those sleazebag officials stealing the temple renovation grant money. And that would be peanuts compared to what the cops get their grubby paws on.

But that was "government" money and maybe there is a difference between "government" money and innocent people's money. 

1 hour ago, seajae said:

problem is they dont want to investigate their own in case they are found out, we all know how corrupt they are but the investigations are being hampered by the hierarchy, if they actually removed all the corrupt officers they would need a new police force as most would be gone.

and the new ones would be as corruptive as the old ones were because they all are deeply in dept to became member of the brown crew.

'Phuket police scandal stirs fears of bribe-taking nationwide' being exposed?

Na-ah, fat chance, too many police big-brass, from all departments, sitting with all their weigh (and influence) on the lid of that Pandora's box for it not to be lifted, too much money (and face) to lose...

I rather guess some guys in Phuket had 'forgotten' to send their share to the upper echelon, as it seems to be the way bribe (and blackmail, prostitution, drugs, etc.?) money collecting is organised. 

1 minute ago, Here It Is said:

That's not how it's seen in Thai culture, though.  In your culture, yes.  

There are enough laws against corruption in Thailand and enough high people in Thailand talking about corruption being wrong, that there should be no doubt that it is not a proper course. Death penalty in China for corruption - no Thai thinks corruption is acceptable, many think, and calculate that they can get away with it. Sorry, the cultural argument doesn't wash. The cunning and dishonest argument does wash. In my opinion.

Just replace all names mentioned in this article with characters like "Kramer", "Jerry", "George" and "Elaine" and you'll have the best "Seinfeld" episode ever.

The level of hypocrisy, holier-than-though gibberish and we-are-all-so-shocked-and-surprised attitude that is winding through the entire article is nothing short of mind-boggling.

And here is a rather intimidating question for super actor Thammarat:

"If it is already known that positions can be bought at 5 key precincts in Phuket, who exactly is selling these positions and why are they still in charge at those precincts and not in prison?"

12 minutes ago, bangrak said:

'Phuket police scandal stirs fears of bribe-taking nationwide' being exposed?

Na-ah, fat chance, too many police big-brass, from all departments, sitting with all their weigh (and influence) on the lid of that Pandora's box for it not to be lifted, too much money (and face) to lose...

I rather guess some guys in Phuket had 'forgotten' to send their share to the upper echelon, as it seems to be the way bribe (and blackmail, prostitution, drugs, etc.?) money collecting is organised. 

I don't think so, I think in this case there was too much evidence for it to be ignored. A few slaps on the wrist were called for as a sop to public opinion. Always bearing in mind that Thais sometimes think they can get away with corruption because of the dismal track record of prosecutions. All Thais are dishonest in my opinion, everybody thinks that corruption is a terrible thing, except *their* corruption.

22 minutes ago, Sid Celery said:

Thais are just dishonest in my opinion, with very few exceptions, and I don't personally know any of those.

16 minutes ago, Sid Celery said:

There are enough laws against corruption in Thailand and enough high people in Thailand talking about corruption being wrong, that there should be no doubt that it is not a proper course. Death penalty in China for corruption - no Thai thinks corruption is acceptable, many think, and calculate that they can get away with it. Sorry, the cultural argument doesn't wash. The cunning and dishonest argument does wash. In my opinion.

19 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

That's not how it's seen in Thai culture, though.  In your culture, yes.  

But you said Thais are just dishonest, with very few exceptions.  Big difference.

Please don't try to make a monkey out of me.

Edited by Here It Is

4 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

But you said Thais are just dishonest, with very few exceptions.  Big difference.

Please don't try to make a monkey out of me.

I'm having trouble with the logic. What you say doesn't hold together very well. Thais talking about resolving corruption is bogus. Did you not get that? Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Edited by Sid Celery

I don't think so, I think in this case there was too much evidence for it to be ignored. A few slaps on the wrist were called for as a sop to public opinion. Always bearing in mind that Thais sometimes think they can get away with corruption because of the dismal track record of prosecutions. All Thais are dishonest in my opinion, everybody thinks that corruption is a terrible thing, except *their* corruption.

5 minutes ago, Sid Celery said:

I'm having trouble with the logic. What you say doesn't hold together very well.

I'm not arguing with you, Sid.  You have already explained that you find Thais are dishonest with very few exceptions.

I find the majority of Thai honest and will pay the tea money as they are brought up to be.

You're definitely making a monkey out of me.

If you can't get to grips with the culture then what are you doing here?

Edited by Here It Is

4 minutes ago, Here It Is said:

I'm not arguing with you, Sid.  You have already explained that you find Thais are dishonest with very few exceptions.

I find the majority of Thai honest and will pay the tea money as they are brought up to be.

You're definitely making a monkey out of me.

If you can't get to grips with the culture then what are you doing here?

I understand the Thai culture rather better than you might assume. I just do not partake. Same with ya-ba, heroin, cocaine, bar-girls and ladyboys - all time-honoured pursuits among the foreign glitterati in Thailand. Not for me though.

You must find your own balance - if you haven't already done so.

2 minutes ago, Sid Celery said:

I understand the Thai culture rather better than you might assume. I just do not partake. Same with ya-ba, heroin, cocaine, bar-girls and ladyboys - all time-honoured pursuits among the foreign glitterati in Thailand. Not for me though.

You must find your own balance - if you haven't already done so.

If you must reside in LOS in the knowledge that you find the majority of Thais dishonest with few exceptions then you've obviously found your own balance.  

Good luck.

Edited by Here It Is

1 minute ago, Here It Is said:

If you must live in LOS with the knowledge that you find the majority of Thais dishonest with few exceptions then you've obviously found your own balance.  

Good luck.

Sure. I just associate with the small minority, it's sufficient for my needs.

Over and out. Good luck with the monkey thing.

Edited by Sid Celery

40 minutes ago, Sid Celery said:

No real surprises here, corruption is a way of life in Thailand, they've been taught well how it's done and it isn't going to change.

Prayuth may make noises off but many people believe that he's been a big-time beneficiary or corruption and illegal activity, as has his family, as have his friends and colleagues, so nothing will happen to stop either one.

The absence of any sanction has been clearly signalled by the fact that those police suspected (and presumably found culpable) have been transferred rather than sacked and prosecuted. The problem the police have is that those near the top who would have to do the sacking and prosecutions, are the same people to whom the money from corruption flowed upwards.

Nothing will change and we'll be back talking about this nonsense in 10 years time. Nobody at the trough is going to deny access to the trough of other people to whom they owe money or favours. 

Thais are just dishonest in my opinion, with very few exceptions, and I don't personally know any of those.

I don't think all Thais are dishonest. Absolutely, the majority, but not all, and social class /personal wealth does not seem to be a factor. However, in general, I would say that Thais have a tendency to be dishonest.

An archaic education system, lack of a functioning judicial system, and a lack of role models in society are all to blame, as well as a primitive addiction to "Face" and the trappings of wealth.....

Edited by eddie61

2 minutes ago, eddie61 said:

I don't think all Thais are dishonest. Absolutely, the majority, but not all, and social class /personal wealth does not seem to be a factor. However, in general, I would say that Thais have a tendency to be dishonest.

Lack of a functioning judicial system, and a lack of role models in society are all to blame, as well as a primitive addiction to "Face" and the trappings of wealth

Fully agree.

34 minutes ago, Sid Celery said:

No real surprises here, corruption is a way of life in Thailand, they've been taught well how it's done and it isn't going to change.

Prayuth may make noises off but many people believe that he's been a big-time beneficiary or corruption and illegal activity, as has his family, as have his friends and colleagues, so nothing will happen to stop either one.

The absence of any sanction has been clearly signalled by the fact that those police suspected (and presumably found culpable) have been transferred rather than sacked and prosecuted. The problem the police have is that those near the top who would have to do the sacking and prosecutions, are the same people to whom the money from corruption flowed upwards.

Nothing will change and we'll be back talking about this nonsense in 10 years time. Nobody at the trough is going to deny access to the trough of other people to whom they owe money or favours. 

Many are, many arent, give the opportunity most people in the world will take the money and run....its in our nature....its the systems that allow it at fault and those with the power to make changes who wont as they are the ones that most benefit from it..