Video: Thai media call for justice as "farang knocks Thai off motorcycle" - You decide!

webfact

23 minutes ago, SoulWater said:

Nope the car doesn't have to indicate left although it is polite - in thai law (not that it would make any difference) it is illegal to pass on the left unless there are two lanes or the car is indicating right which the driver of the car obviously wasn't

That's ridiculous, of course you have to indicate if you're making a turn, regardless if it's left or right. Section 36 of the Land Traffic Act.

It doesnt matter what is printed in the motor vehicle act as its not practised or enforced. You can learn the traffic act by heart and have it tattooed on your forehead, it wont help you if its your dieing words after an accident. 

It is wise to know what is the practice and what the police enforce when it comes to left turns, cars and motorbikes.

You are more likely to get a ticket for not staying to the left when riding a bike, than you are to get a ticket for passing on the inside.

As others have said, show the video to Thai people (you can even tell them its a Thai driving the truck) and the consensus will be the car is in the wrong. As others have said, similar incidents and the police have always explained that the bike has the right of way.

To keep blindly quoting the traffic act and pretending we are watching an episode of Judge Judy, is living in denile of the reality of how Thai people look at left turns, passing on the left hand side etc.

If you want to avoid accidents, both as the car driver or bike rider, its a good idea to have an understanding of Thai driving norms, rather than the traffic act.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, SoulWater said:

Nope the car doesn't have to indicate left although it is polite - in thai law (not that it would make any difference) it is illegal to pass on the left unless there are two lanes or the car is indicating right which the driver of the car obviously wasn't

Gawd.....Are you Thai..........sad-face.gif.510967dcc1e84d05097a95c3e466b210.gif

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

the Thai law clearly is allowing motorcycles to undertake a car on the left side

this happens every day in Thailand according to the law

it is what the bike lanes are for . . . . . 

I agree that this speedy idiot was riding carelessly & too fast and probably daydreaming, but

the LAW says he can do so

. . just ask ANY policeman. . . they will tell you the exactly same

Produce a written copy of that law that states that motorbikes are allowed to undertake

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

It doesnt matter what is printed in the motor vehicle act as its not practised or enforced. You can learn the traffic act by heart and have it tattooed on your forehead, it wont help you if its your dieing words after an accident. 

It is wise to know what is the practice and what the police enforce when it comes to left turns, cars and motorbikes.

You are more likely to get a ticket for not staying to the left when riding a bike, than you are to get a ticket for passing on the inside.

As others have said, show the video to Thai people (you can even tell them its a Thai driving the truck) and the consensus will be the car is in the wrong. As others have said, similar incidents and the police have always explained that the bike has the right of way.

To keep blindly quoting the traffic act and pretending we are watching an episode of Judge Judy, is living in denile of the reality of how Thai people look at left turns, passing on the left hand side etc.

If you want to avoid accidents, both as the car driver or bike rider, its a good idea to have an understanding of Thai driving norms, rather than the traffic act.

You are wrong

• Like 2

I was involved in an accident when a 14 year old boy was speeding on his motorbike and he cut the corner and hit the front centre of my truck and he went over the bonnet and he was not wearing a helmet, the police attended and was blaming me until I pointed out that I had a vehicle black box that recorded everything and that the rider did not have a license, was not wearing a helmet and the bike was unregistered and the police officer told me that it does not matter because I was in the wrong.  So I took a photo of the police officers face and his name badge and I just told him that he is employed to enforce the law and not to make up his own laws and that I am lodging a complaint against him with Police General Watcharapol Prasarnrajkit, or Sansern Poljeak from the National Anti Corruption commission for being corrupt and failing to do his duty and enforce the law.

That changed things and the young man was charged and his family came with the money to fix me truck with many wai

• Like 2

That's ridiculous, of course you have to indicate if you're making a turn, regardless if it's left or right. Section 36 of the Land Traffic Act.

You are also correct - i didn't read all the rules so looks like the driver of both the car and motorbike need a 500b fine so I guess the only winners are the police and ambulance! Anyways section 45 or section 36, personally I would always opt for article 44 as I could get away with anything using that :)

I haven't read through all of this, but is there a video that starts a few seconds earlier?  As it is, fault is hard to determine - though simple self-preservation should have kept the motorcyclist out of that position (and I do ride a small bike here).

Bit off topic but must be said....

Your door mirrors in LOS are your best friend....Whether turning left or right the last thing you do is check them.....Even if you come to a stand still because you are not sure if a brainless one hasn't read the road ahead...:stoner:

• Like 1

the Thai law clearly is allowing motorcycles to undertake a car on the left side

this happens every day in Thailand according to the law

it is what the bike lanes are for . . . . . 

I agree that this speedy idiot was riding carelessly & too fast and probably daydreaming, but

the LAW says he can do so

. . just ask ANY policeman. . . they will tell you the exactly same

The few lanes within the Kingdom are clearly 

1 hour ago, BradinAsia said:

So, let me see if I got this right -- You are suggesting that since Thais often do not use their turn signal,

it means the driver in this case should be excused from not having used his.

That may not be the lamest argument I've ever heard, but it ranks very high on the list.

Yes like all Thais use there indicators before they turn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Please don't read to much into it.  i'm taking the piss. :thumbsup:

Most Thai drivers or riders, 

Move over in the road,  start to brake,  start to turn the corner,

and then put the indicator on. ( what a bunch,   they are ) :bah:

Edited by stanleycoin

i suggest you READ what I posted before:

INDICATING does NOT give you the RIGHT to turn !

you STILL must watch out and yield for any oncoming traffic

Yes, when turning across the path of oncoming / approaching traffic from the front. 

However, traffic approaching from the rear must yield to the vehicle in front of them. 

i.e. driving down Sukhumvit road, indicating to change lanes, the motorcycles keep on coming from behind, and keep coming and keep coming. If I have to yield to the motorcycles approaching from the rear I would stop and cause a traffic jam. Instead I indicate and move across gently. If approaching motorcycles continue to speed up and attempt to pass me as I maneuver (either to the right or the left) rather than yield they are at fault. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

For starters, you not allowed to drive/ride parallel/abreast another

vehicle on a single lane, but in Thailand as in Thailand, all road

rules are advisory only and you do pretty much what you want

on the road until you get caught by the police or be involved in an

accident,

in this case, this is a minor traffic accident, and no matter who's at

fault here, the farang will almost always end up wearing the blame and pay for damages...

..for enders 'ezzra' there is no such thing as an 'advisory rule' where do you get that from?..Land Traffic Act, B.E. 2522 (1979) (Thai Highway Code) is enacted legislation..the problem lies with the Police not enforcing this and most other laws and regulations..we all know they go soft on their own folk.

Motorcyclist at fault based upon video.

Digest.

All vehicles should keep left.

Digest.

You cannot by law overtake a vehicle from the left hand side.

Digest.

Farang may be deemed liable by 15% of apologists, however I’d insisist my Insurance Company pursues this menace and is able to have him walking for his next somtam fix, perhaps.

You undercut or undertake on a motorbike where a car can turn left you're asking for it. Difficult to see if left hand indicator on the car is on but either way the bikes in the wrong. Just another example of point and go with absolutely no awareness to what is happening and the possibilities of what could happen.

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

What is it with westerners and the need for gigantic pick-up trucks. 

A common accident in Thailand given that motorbikes are supposed to travel to the left. As a car driver in Thailand its one of the first things you pick up, check that blind spot for bikes. A lot of Thais will come to a stop, check, then turn left.

If you are going to drive a gigantic pick-up, just to go to BigC once a week, be proactive and realise you are sharing the road with hundreds of small motorbikes.

You don’t drive a gigantic pick up so no one should, is that your view. What a pathetic statement. I drive a humongous pick up truck and also a small motorbike. From what I’ve seen over the many years living here is motorbike/car/pick up and truck drivers show zero respect on the road for anyone even pedestrians.  I’d say the fault is 50-50. Incidentally was the motorbike driver wearing a crash helmet? Now I’ll just fire up the old gigantic pick up 4 wheel drive and head 100m down the road to Big C Mini for sandwich,,,, because I can. 

7 hours ago, lust said:

I’m a motorcycle rider and I’d say that motorcycle is 100% at fault. 

You being a motorcycle rider does not give you the authority to ignore the simple fact that the pickup driver didn't even bother to indicate, obviously it is not the motorcycles fault, he is just riding along at a constant speed, the pickup reduces speed causing the motorcycle to start passing him, and then he turns without warning.