Suspected sleeping van driver, 13 Myanmar workers killed in fire in Sing Buri

webfact

5 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

If they want to tackle the problem they need to introduce tachographs (spelling) and monitor the driver's hours.  Is Thailand competent enough to pull off such a system yet?

I not sure Thailand is competent enough yet. There is very little social accountability for dangerous and irresponsible behavior which is exacerbated up by ineffective enforcement. 

People just don't care because the legal consequences for them are minimal and of course the ill-educated who are of the believe that 'it can't happen to me'... 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

If they want to tackle the problem they need to introduce tachographs (spelling) and monitor the driver's hours.  Is Thailand competent enough to pull off such a system yet?

Tachographs are very very useful after the event , unless of course data is being viewed live at a manned control centre. However in any case it doesn't overcome sleeping drivers, reckless drivers and stupidity. 

Apparently, there was another van from the same company..... could they be just racing as it happens very often ??? overtaking without visibility or other variation of the same game ???  the passengers of the other van should know how drivers xere behaving...maybe I'm wrong but........

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

also must have been a Myanmar driver, as no Thai would do this

Yes, the news report indicated the DRIVER was THAI and the passengers were Myanmarese(?)...

I guess one could make the argument that the driver in this instance wasn't a VICTIM but rather was the CAUSE of all the actual VICTIMS dying, specifically, being burned to death alive...

42 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Tachographs are very very useful after the event , unless of course data is being viewed live at a manned control centre. However in any case it doesn't overcome sleeping drivers, reckless drivers and stupidity. 

and a waste of time unless there are relevant processes and procedures in place; effective management of the process, enforcement, action taken/consequences when laws/rules are broken, maintenance of the equipment, sadly not traits that thais excel in.

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes Falangs never make accidents.

Of course farangs have accidents as evidenced by nearly 2000 annual road deaths in my home country the UK. It has a similar population to Thailand, by the way, which has an annual road death toll of about 25000!

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Of course they do, generally when they are tired. They also, as a rule, don't need to ferry passengers to the point that they fall asleep at the wheel in order to support their families. You may have noticed also that farang have greater powers of concentration than do locals.

Being a 1st class foreign driver in Thailand does not mean that one is safe.

Drive safely in your home country and the chances are that you will complete your journey safely........because the majority of drivers around you are also driving to a similar standard.

Your discipline, observation and good driving etiquette would not have saved you had this van driven "up your chuff" and burst into flames.

The environment is inherently unsafe, most significantly it has to be regarded as unpredictably, actively, aggressively unsafe.

1 hour ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Tachographs are not effective and can be manipulated, Australia removed them from trucks and long distance buses years ago and replaced it all with GPS tracking systems which cannot be manipulated.

I suggest that you go for a drive on Highway 2 between Udon Thani and Khon Kaen and you will find on average 1 in 3 trucks tail lights are not working or covered by some part of their load

Also you should look at how many motorbikes that are used by Thai's that are unregistered and their rear lights do not work and even some the headlights do not work or they do not know how to turn them on.

Yes, I sleep, but when I was in Australia and did my night run in a long distance coach with 45 passengers from Sydney to Melbourne a distance of 950kilometres, leaving Sydney at 18:00 and arriving in Melbourne at 07:00 I made sure that I slept in the day before I started work.

The whole road and law enforcement needs a bloody good shake up but most of all the Thai people need a good shake up and need to change their attitude towards safety of peoples lives.

25000 dead is the biggest disgrace of any country in the world and it comes from the top and I am not just talking about the current government but also the previous governments that also did nothing except grab money to put in their own pockets

48 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, the news report indicated the DRIVER was THAI and the passengers were Myanmarese(?)...

I guess one could make the argument that the driver in this instance wasn't a VICTIM but rather was the CAUSE of all the actual VICTIMS dying, specifically, being burned to death alive...

Did you miss the not so  subtle dig at our esteemed leader? 

48 minutes ago, samsensam said:

and a waste of time unless there are relevant processes and procedures in place; effective management of the process, enforcement, action taken/consequences when laws/rules are broken, maintenance of the equipment, sadly not traits that thais excel in.

Of course that is, unfortunately stating the bleeding obvious ?

51 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

They do keep referring to accidents when the causes are, by and large, down to pure stupidity and a marked reluctance by the authorities to actually give a practical s___t.

Over time here, I've consciously began NEVER referring to most of these kinds of crashes as "accidents," because most of the time, they're anything but accidental.

5 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Lights on trucks and other public or haulage vehicles generally work.  They might be overloaded, or have unsafe loads, but their lights are generally in working order.

You are completely wrong. The number of vehicles in Thailand, especially trucks, with no rear lights beggars belief. I have driven 36.000 km last 18 months all over Thailand. 

8 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

Pol Captain ... said he was alerted to the accident at 3am.

He called for a fire engine when he found the fire still raging when he arrived at the scene.....

?????

?????? 

1 hour ago, MartinBangkok said:

You are completely wrong. The number of vehicles in Thailand, especially trucks, with no rear lights beggars belief. I have driven 36.000 km last 18 months all over Thailand. 

I disagree.  On bikes and cars, absolutely, far too many lights out all over the country.  On buses, haulage vehicles; I don't notice a problem.

5 hours ago, Artisi said:

However in any case it doesn't overcome sleeping drivers, reckless drivers and stupidity.

Of course it does because far fewer people will do it because they will lose their job.  That's assuming it is policed and enforced properly of course.

5 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Of course it does because far fewer people will do it because they will lose their job.  That's assuming it is policed and enforced properly of course.

I'll repeat my earlier question, where do you reside?

Do you really believe it will be policed and enforced - they can't even get people to wear crash helmets and drive on the correct side of the road, stop at stop signs or red lights and travel at the speed limit etc..

16 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I disagree.  On bikes and cars, absolutely, far too many lights out all over the country.  On buses, haulage vehicles; I don't notice a problem.

Agreed.

This crash occurred on the Asia Highway, #32, which at this location in Singburi prov, and for most of its length is a six lane divided road with a wide centre median.

The truck into which the van crashed was probably traveling in the far left lane, as they usually do. Why did the van rear end it at such a speed as to cause massive damage and a major fire?.  Was the van driver not paying attention to the road ahead or was he unable to because he was dozing at the wheel? It doesn't matter if the truck had no tail lights, at that time in the early morning the van was probably using his high beams for full visibility.

Not the truck driver's fault. 

Archived