What Did You Do to Your Bike Today ?

canthai55

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, ocddave said:

Installed OEM Suzuki frame sliders on my 2018 Suzuki SV650X, they blend in well with the bike, barely noticeable.

frameslider.jpg

Interesting.

Do you want to give us a review of the bike, relating to previous bike experiences.

The stock SV and it's X sibling are bikes i've always liked and had an interest here.

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Interesting.

Do you want to give us a review of the bike, relating to previous bike experiences.

The stock SV and it's X sibling are bikes i've always liked and had an interest here.

I wish I could, I spent most of my time in the woods on bikes (2 and 4 wheels) back in the states, I only made it as far as MSF training and licensing back in the US on the roads. I picked this bike because its mainly a beginner bike, and it fits my height/weight better, I am 6'1" and about 215lbs. The really big difference on this X is the clip-on handlebars, you either love them, or hate them. I loved the subtle old school look too, and color scheme, and the fact that it felt better to straddle then the other bikes I compared it to (mainly the MT-07). It was higher on my list anyway because it has the longest pedigree and proven design, and that wonderful engine!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ocddave said:

I wish I could, I spent most of my time in the woods on bikes (2 and 4 wheels) back in the states, I only made it as far as MSF training and licensing back in the US on the roads. I picked this bike because its mainly a beginner bike, and it fits my height/weight better, I am 6'1" and about 215lbs. The really big difference on this X is the clip-on handlebars, you either love them, or hate them. I loved the subtle old school look too, and color scheme, and the fact that it felt better to straddle then the other bikes I compared it to (mainly the MT-07). It was higher on my list anyway because it has the longest pedigree and proven design, and that wonderful engine!

Thanx.

rpm in 6th at 100? At 120?

You're 6-1. A better, bigger fit than the MT07?

Edited by thaiguzzi

8 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Thanx.

I'll let you know when/if I hit 120 here in congested Nonthaburi, but I'll keep an eye on the tach next time for you ????

The X has the clip-on's, so not sure if thats what made it feel better to me, but I felt more cramped on the MT-07, I am sure its the rider triangle, just not sure what the specific cause is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Thanx.

I assume 120 is KPH? I found this quote from a review, "On the highway, sixth gear comfortably held 75 mph while spinning around 5,500 rpm."

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ocddave said:

I assume 120 is KPH? I found this quote from a review, "On the highway, sixth gear comfortably held 75 mph while spinning around 5,500 rpm."

Yes kph - when in Rome etc.

Thanx. Interesting.

The two air cooled Ducatis i recently test rode, both 803cc, both 74 bhp, ie same power and similar torque (49 Ib ft) as the 4V water cooled MT07 and SV650 ran different gearing.

The Desert Sled was showing 5000 rpm at 100 kph.

The Monster was showing 4000 rpm at 100 kph.

The DS showed noticeably faster acceleration, and was pretty much done by 140 ish, whereas the Monster would pull on way past 160.

• Like 1

#Warning# Pic heavy...

Been at it.

And on it.

Lotta work recently in the shed (one of my two 20' workshop containers).

This S/S oil tank was made in '94 and for years was fine as i was a (relatively) young and fit man.

But as i've grown older, the spout has been bugging me for a few years now when kick starting the bike. Being a stroker motor with a very heavy billet steel Weslake crank, and a fixed timing magneto, it can be a bastard to start cold, and obviously needs a great big swing. And then the inside of my knee catches said spout. Every time i rode the bike i had bruising on the inside of my knee.

Finally time to change it, lop it off and shorten it.

Before

021.thumb.jpg.6bcd3420dfd4019ab439309866e05732.jpg022.thumb.jpg.3873f7b7cd8e3834e19d1015534fc338.jpg

After

072.thumb.jpg.ddacb17145dfefe3d4693e6f621ef2d5.jpg071.thumb.jpg.71cd4d096969eb5911bb71f69c2ae759.jpg

The old spigot was cut off

024.thumb.jpg.212eb273212213692bc903b9ecdb65a5.jpg026.thumb.jpg.71b4baf665707b2e7bfca24471a69aba.jpg

The old stainless spout was cut off, a new threaded smaller stainless spout was machined, and one of the S/S gate manufacturers in town tig'd it all together for 100 Baht.

I then got a length of brass from my stock and knocked up a nice threaded cap.

028.thumb.jpg.df7f0019933963eb4b9358ade14d00a5.jpg027.thumb.jpg.d3134718a0c299a4aba38ff34812c967.jpg

That's a 1.125" tap in the pic.... b-i-g......

032.thumb.jpg.d4b275550ccacb39619d445e20017665.jpg033.thumb.jpg.c104170eec8dfc3053c5616b1cdb9678.jpg

As i was fitting a new petrol tank and new paint job, and retiring my old tank and paint job to hang on the wall, i had found a nice genuine Wellworthy brass cap in my parts for the new tank.

Now i had brass caps for the petrol tank AND oil tank, i thought of making a couple of other bits in brass whilst the lathe was covered in the shIt (nightmare to clean up after machining brass), and turn my old girl into a bit of a Brass Tart...

She's 40 next year, her and me 40 years together....

• Like 2

Cool.

Yes brass in denser than steel

Specific gravity ~ 8.5 vs. 7.9

Resists corrosion

Plus doesn't spark

Looks ultra cool

[the most important attribute, by far]

Brass has class

<deleted> [rhymes with mook] yes

Edited by papa al
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, tifino said:

@thaiguzzi - have to now be wary the kids don't hang a streamer from the brass fender scratchers! :blush: 

there's an unfortunately convenient hole, in just the right place

No disrespect intended, but can you write that again in English?

I did'nt understand what you were trying to say or warn me about.

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, tifino said:

@thaiguzzi - have to now be wary the kids don't hang a streamer from the brass fender scratchers! :blush: 

there's an unfortunately convenient hole, in just the right place

On ‎12‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:25 AM, thaiguzzi said:

No disrespect intended, but can you write that again in English?

I did'nt understand what you were trying to say or warn me about.

Image result for bicycle handlebar streamers

• Like 2