What Did You Do to Your Bike Today ?

canthai55

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2018 at 6:12 PM, Rhys said:

Oil change with Motul and brakes checked ...air check for the tires..... 950 baht at the shop.

If the shop did ya tyres check the pressure,  my Honda shop always over does it.  

• Like 1

As this most innane and useless topic continues to have legs I will add my own bit of stupidity.  As July 14 is Bastille Day and on the 15th France plays in the final of the World Cup I have started putting red, white and blue bunting on my beloved Xmax to celebrate these great occassions.  Viva La France.  

On 5/15/2018 at 10:43 PM, johng said:

Did you watch them to see if they used a "feeler gauge" to measure the clearance and  "micrometer" to measure the shims ?

No. Two valves were in spec; two out-of-spec.

4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Here is someone with a totally different concept as to what a motorcycle is than me ...

WTF.jpg

Well what can say, maybe he likes to stay behind cars/trucks.

Saw one or those monkeys with the fat wheels changed to thin bicycle wheels, looked kinda silly. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, transam said:

I know this is a bit off topic because it doesn't involve me but I think you will like the few photos.

Bit of history, my UK chum works at home restoring vintage bikes for customers and museums, l used to help out with mig welding stuff, mainly to do with gear restoration and use his machines for my own projects. Not long ago he bought a Grade II listed building with acres of land in Surrey, he got permission to convert the stables/garages internals to a workshop to carry on his business..So, a few pics of what he is doing today on his bikes...

Indian.jpg.b7192e04c00bd2c7e3543f2292ee581a.jpgbrough.jpg.8b0c7e2b23301d6d12f6ef26779b8013.jpgbrough2.jpg.b0fc3612023601c61401c0bb85eddd91.jpgbrough3.jpg.f3e8a36ba40937677a8a00d3a40121fb.jpg

Your mate must be pretty handy with the spanners.

An old early Indian & a couple of Broughs.

Those sort of owners don't let any old grease monkey from the nearest industrial estate work on their investments, sorry, motorcycles....

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My Dad always wanted one of these dunno if it's the same

No, not the same, but similar. Different eras.

The first bikes in TA"s post are Brough Superiors, think Laurence of Arabia etc. Made until the early - mid 30's.

The most expensive collectable motorcycles in the world. Nice ones with history fetch in excess of ONE MILLION dollars at auction.

Your post shows the Vincent, made in various forms, Series A thru to D, 500cc singles (the Comet) thru to the 1000cc v twins.

IMHO a 1000cc series A racer (pre war) is the most beautiful motorcycle ever made.

Vincents were made from around the time Broughs stopped producing (ish) till 1955. Again they are highly sought after (read expensive) motorcycles.

Both bikes were the best, fastest comfortably, most reliable, most expensive bikes of their time/era.

IMHO, the series C (post war) Vincent Rapide was so ahead of its time and nothing remotely close to it available, it is for me, , again IMHO, the greatest motorcycle ever made.

To this day, their performance is still relatively decent, and they can tour at a reliable 80-90 mph all day long, which for a 75-80 y/o design is just outstanding.

When I had my shop in the UK, 88-03, the bikes I was buying were around 4k S/H and decent Vincent twins were fetching 9-10-12k GBP. That was the time & chance to get one. Now - way too late, decent ones fetch 45-50k GBP upwards.

EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING is made in 2018 for these wonderful motorcycles inc complete engines, frames and those wonderful aluminium Girdraulic forks.

To put things into perspective price wise, regarding Broughs, recent auctions have seen the most expensive Vincents with history and paperwork fetch around $250-300k.

Edited by thaiguzzi
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Your mate must be pretty handy with the spanners.

An old early Indian & a couple of Broughs.

Those sort of owners don't let any old grease monkey from the nearest industrial estate work on their investments, sorry, motorcycles....

For sure, I worked on a land speed record holder JAP powered bike, someone really ballsed it up.The thing was worth a fortune IF restored properly..It was worth 100,000 quid in a shit state...

joe2.jpg.fc80fc387280a86e704b0ab4da406fbd.jpg

Edited by transam
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

IMHO a 1000cc series A racer (pre war) is the most beautiful motorcycle ever made.

Maybe another thread about what bike did you think about today ? 

Yeah my Dad couldn't afford V1000 so got his Rudge 500 instead keeping it for years.

He use to take about the Ariel Square four to.

I remember as a toddler sitting in the road handed my Dad spanners when he worked on the Rudge some of the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah my Dad couldn't afford V1000 so got his Rudge 500 instead keeping it for years.

I remember as a toddler sitting in the road handed my Dad spanners when he worked on the Rudge some of the time.

Rudge singles, 250, 350, 500 are all highly sought after motorcycles, as are the pre war Sunbeam singles. Very, very nice, fast motorcycles with some details ahead of their time. Some of the pre war Rudges were 4 valvers. Both beautiful bikes, highly finished from the factory. A friend of mine who runs a machine shop / engine recon shop in the UK runs a pre war rigid Rudge 350 single among other bikes inc an early carb'd Speed Triple. It is NOT SLOW!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My chum here in LOS had an Ariel Square 4, BUT it had a side car....?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finished off lightening & repolishing my 422 gram front mudguard bracket / fork brace i made in '95 for my Triumph.

Been bugging me a few years now, i nearly made a new one from scratch, but i persevered with this; before it was a U shape each side, now an X shape with a 20mm hole in the middle.

342 grams now inc 4 allen heads holding it together..... much happier....

Edit.

Those side plates are 14mm thick and the round bars are 19mm for reference.

013.thumb.jpg.ea68978c57cf2db9321c391e5f8b5877.jpg014.thumb.jpg.fc61334f54e3a8f31133c3938fb70935.jpg

Edited by thaiguzzi

• 2 weeks later...

Pumped up tires, installed battery, took the CRF out for the first time in 6 months.

All you guys stuck in the 60's - filled with 95 Gasahol, Stabil, and Max44 before leaving.

Fired right up, rode it away. No issues.

Dyna and CB650 next