Weed killer residues found in popular vegetables and fruits

rooster59

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the Mazuma filters that flood the shelves of HomePro ? Mainly those with multi step filtering that claim to neutralise multiple chemicals and heavy metals ?  They surely won't remove the pesticides in the dna of the fruit but could be a good option ?

Another solution would be to wash the fruit/veggies in Potassium Permanganate (but to be done with caution). The link will explain better then myself on how it works, assuming it is available in Thailand.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/303623-potassium-permanganate-to-wash-vegetables/

Edited by observer90210

I don't think buying vegetables at a supermarket would be any different than a local market. There's a very bad taste to most Chinese and Thai vegetables that makes you wonder about what kind of soil they are being grown in, I would guess a quite polluted stew from many years of dumping pesticides.

If you must buy vegetables and fruit as opposed growing your own, soak them for at lest an hour, don't just wash them. Then give them a good rinsing before you cook them. The alternative, not eating vegetables is not healthy either.

Meat is worse because the animals eat the chemically bombarded plants, grain etc and the chemicals are stored in the the fatty tissue. You probably get years of stored chemicals with every serving of meat.

Expelling poisons from the body should become a basic part of people's daily self care. Regular exercise, plenty of water, taking herbs and eating foods that assist pulling toxins out, keeping your colon unclogged and moving stuff out and doing fasts not to mention developing better awareness of causes and conditions in your body that need attending to can all go a long way towards maintaining health. You just try and do your best and hopefully you don't end up in a doctor's office as an experimental subject for someone who paid someone to sit their medical school exams, do their thesis research project for them and who now must use you for their on the job remedial training.

6 minutes ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

I don't think buying vegetables at a supermarket would be any different than a local market.

There's a huge difference. Vendors in markets have been caught spraying their stuff with all sorts of nasty stuff. Lotus doesn't do that.

23 hours ago, ezzra said:

Who ever eat any vegetables grown in this country without thoroughly

to wash them first is taking a big risk with his health,

the health welfare of the consumer is not paramount on the minds of

the policy makers, as long as they get the farmers of their backs and

allow them them to knowingly poison the public.... 

Other than France and Germany name me the countries who put food safety first or the consumer in the paramount of their minds. Monsanto and Bayer control the world except France and a few exceptions. Cheap food means pesticides. No cheap food means revolutions and rise up against the rich. This not a Thailand story as they are simply one country that acts like most countries wanting cheap food. Worst is the USA. 

Yiu want Walmart,  Aldi, Tesco, Costco, etc ....you want grocery stores listed on the stock market —-then this is what you must accept. I prefer the Thai markets to many others except France is by far the best food protection country in the world bar none. 

Edited by Wake Up

11 hours ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

I don't think buying vegetables at a supermarket would be any different than a local market. There's a very bad taste to most Chinese and Thai vegetables that makes you wonder about what kind of soil they are being grown in, I would guess a quite polluted stew from many years of dumping pesticides.

If you must buy vegetables and fruit as opposed growing your own, soak them for at lest an hour, don't just wash them. Then give them a good rinsing before you cook them. The alternative, not eating vegetables is not healthy either.

Meat is worse because the animals eat the chemically bombarded plants, grain etc and the chemicals are stored in the the fatty tissue. You probably get years of stored chemicals with every serving of meat.

Expelling poisons from the body should become a basic part of people's daily self care. Regular exercise, plenty of water, taking herbs and eating foods that assist pulling toxins out, keeping your colon unclogged and moving stuff out and doing fasts not to mention developing better awareness of causes and conditions in your body that need attending to can all go a long way towards maintaining health. You just try and do your best and hopefully you don't end up in a doctor's office as an experimental subject for someone who paid someone to sit their medical school exams, do their thesis research project for them and who now must use you for their on the job remedial training.

image.png.19debbc0a99932e7b6b63e7b28265eb5.png

"Cheap food means pesticides." isn't always true. A lot of northern Europe's cheap vegetables come from the Mare Plastico in Andalucia, Spain. Some of you may recall a food poisoning scare in Germany and the Netherlands, wrongly attributed to salad cucumbers from Spain. The scandal was, of course, that they had *not* been chemically drenched  but it turned out that the E-Coli event came from a specific local distribution centre (in Koeln if memory serves). These products are grown (forced) under plastic so they can be produced cheaply and out of season. Relatively pest and chemical free, they are usually pretty bland and taste free. Thailand is going the same way - but is held back in the main by the legal restraint on consolidation of farm land, reducing the opportunity for scaling effects. A lot of supermarket produce is so blemish free that there really is no other conclusion that it has been grown in a protected environment, and maybe even chemically washed (probably Permanganate, as mentioned elsewhere). By way of example, just look at the root-stock of a salad head in say Villa Market - clearly hydroponically produced in a protected environment, but ordinarily one of the worst offenders for tainting.

That said, clearly a lot of food in Thailand is tainted - but contrary to some other commentators - I suspect that using supermarkets and larger urban fresh markets where the food is pretty much visibly flawless (because it has been grown in green-houses and under plastic) goes a long way to getting the more premium, less-tainted produce that you almost certainly *cannot* get at local 'farmers' markets.

have a look in Wikipedia about "paraquat" , a strong poison , thai farmers should think twice before poisoning themselves , their families , the consumers, the animals , the earth , the sea . Why do you think , Alzheimer , Parkinson and other diseases are increasing so fast and hit the world population. Multinational companies manufacturing and selling these mass poison should be sued for crimes against humanity.

On 27/11/2017 at 5:55 AM, Wake Up said:

Other than France and Germany name me the countries who put food safety first or the consumer in the paramount of their minds. Monsanto and Bayer control the world except France and a few exceptions. Cheap food means pesticides. No cheap food means revolutions and rise up against the rich. This not a Thailand story as they are simply one country that acts like most countries wanting cheap food. Worst is the USA. 

Yiu want Walmart,  Aldi, Tesco, Costco, etc ....you want grocery stores listed on the stock market —-then this is what you must accept. I prefer the Thai markets to many others except France is by far the best food protection country in the world bar none. 

:cheesy: French farmers being the most vocal opposing the proposed EU ban on glyphosate :cheesy: Glyphosate made by........wait for it.......Monsanto :cheesy:

I've noticed that here in Australia that all the veggies kept in the fridge only last or stay fresh for about 4 days while on the other hand when in Thailand they stay looking fresh for a least 2 weeks maybe longer.Got to be some preservatives being added to the veggies for that to happen.

Problem in Thailand is many smaller farmers are not properly educated about the chemicals they use. Should be part of the school curriculum. However, as has been said, many of the larger farms are very sophisticated enterprises using massive greenhouses, advanced culture techniques and high levels of bio-security, and could possibly be able to cut their pesticide use significantly.

On the other hand, the levels of pests and diseases in Thailand are stunning - and it takes a lot of effort to avoid heavy losses to crops without resorting to chemicals (I know, because i grow organically at the garden level and reckon i lose at least 50% of my potential crops because of this). 

On the other hand, many smaller rural farmers just do not use chemicals very much as too expensive.

10 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The patent on Glyphosate has expired, it is now manufactured by multiple companies.

Ok, Roundup, same difference, the point of the post still applies, French farmers up in arms over the proposed EU ban on glyphosate.

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:26 PM, glasswort said:

There was a report published by a similar NGO several years ago which indicated that over 50% of vegetables and fruit labelled as organic showed pesticide residue. Its study included produce purchased from top end supermarkets as well as local markets.

Yes I remember that report and as I recall some of the worst cases of contamination were on fruit and veges bought from local/farmers markets, and some of those labelled organic didn't fare much better either.

In addition, I will not (knowingly) buy produce from China as I do not trust them one bit, this after the melamine in the milk scandal which killed babies and damaged the New Zealand dairy industry for a while, and the veges turned back because they were toxic from far too much pesticide being used on them.......and almost forget the rotten chicken and formaldehyde scam.

7 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

I've noticed that here in Australia that all the veggies kept in the fridge only last or stay fresh for about 4 days while on the other hand when in Thailand they stay looking fresh for a least 2 weeks maybe longer.Got to be some preservatives being added to the veggies for that to happen.

If you keep vegetables in a fridge they will go bad, vegetables should be kept at temperatures between 8 an 15 degrees C for optimal storage time. Normal temperature for fridge is between 4 and 6 degrees C for optimal storage of cold drinks.

Sad thing is they export the chemicals with the vegetables as well, can't be bothered to wash them first. here what you pay pennies for cost pounds and have to be thrown away because of the dam chemical smell. Next time its trading standards and that will end with a ban on imports from there. Not happy with binning £40 the other week that is for sure. But weed killer I ask you?

1 hour ago, Jonah Tenner said:
  9 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

What veggies in Thailand stay looking fresh for at least 2 weeks ?

Potatoes , onions & garlic , maybe pumpkins. That's about it.

• 1 month later...

We buy some of our veg/fruit from a 'farmers market' that is part of the CMU Agri-zone. The organizers of the market actually have a random onsite testing process to determine if any of the vendors are 'cheating' by sneaking in non-organic product. I have personally seen vendors kicked out of this market for some kind of violation,never to return.

I still prefer to grow my own food..... every time I go for a bike ride up in the mountains and drive through hill tribe growing areas all I can smell is chemicals. This helps with motivation to put the work needed in maintaining a modest garden.

Edited by HaleySabai