"777" road safety measure introduced for New Year

webfact

"777" road safety measure introduced for New Year

55.jpg

File photo

BANGKOK, 1 December 2017 (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport has come up with a new road safety measure to be implemented during the New Year holidays. 

The Director-General of the Department of Land Transport, Sanit Phromwong, said the Ministry of Transport has launched the "777" measure to reduce road accidents and accommodate commuters during the upcoming New Year festivities.

The term "777" is referred to seven days before the holidays (between December 21st and 27th), another seven days during the festival (between December 28th and January 3rd), and seven more days later (between January 4th and 10th). 

Mr. Sanit said the measure is aimed at reducing road accidents, casualties and fatalities, while facilitating commuters so that they will arrive home safely. 

The department has ordered all provincial offices of land transport to prepare enough buses in response to the needs of passengers and ensure that there will be no stranded passengers at bus terminals.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-12-01

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

The term "777" is referred to seven days before the holidays (between December 21st and 27th), another seven days during the festival (between December 28th and January 3rd), and seven more days later (between January 4th and 10th).

Most of us go with 21, in similar situations. 

8 minutes ago, webfact said:

The department has ordered all provincial offices of land transport to prepare enough buses in response to the needs of passengers and ensure that there will be no stranded passengers at bus terminals.

Is that the plan?

Genius. 

They have been trying to reduce road fatalities for years, but in spite of their best efforts the numbers have been rising. I shall be most interested to see what startling new insights they have gained that are going to magically turn this around in a three week period.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The Department of Land Transport has come up with a new road safety measure

not much of substance; seems more a new name ;

likely took last years pronouncement and changed a couple words; then after the carnage, will wonder why and dust off that last year's excuses

Yes, let's do what we did last year and learn jack from it, because that went well /rolleyes

8 minutes ago, leeneeds said:

7 x7 x7 = 343

about the right amount of deaths for 21 days

Sadly

Oh shit, that was a nice one haha

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Is that the plan?

Genius. 

you took the words right out of my mouth.
Must have taken years of study and preparation.
really wonder why no-one thought of such unique long term plan before, not even on TV.

1 hour ago, AGareth2 said:

what happened to people travelling in the back of pickups?

that will be declared a protected species sooner or later.

Edited by KKr

Simple adherence and enforcement of current road rules would go a long way but I guess that takes more effort than pronouncing the 777 plan which I am still completely in the dark about exactly what this entails except "

to prepare enough buses in response to the needs of passengers and ensure that there will be no stranded passengers at bus terminals."

Absolute, pure ridiculousness. Talk about spouting solutions, without even touching the root causes. Such a Thai thing to do. Never introspect. Never analyze. Never blame. Just pontificate. 

And why are these drivers speeding and driving so recklessly in the first place?

The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously.

There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government (weak Little P.) and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

Now for my scooter rant:

Many of us drive motorcycles or scooters here, and it is dangerous getting on the roads with some of these other drivers. 

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

I was told by a very reliable source. He did not have an agenda. He rescued alot of the survivors. He attended to alot of the ones who did not make it. The press here is highly censored. The report only what the so called leaders want them to report. Nothing else. Social media? Why would social media report these statistics? They report individual accidents, but not overall statistics. Anything you read about accidents on Samui in the media would be false.