Hunt on for baht bus driver who killed 5, injured 9

Rimmer

7 minutes ago, pattayadon said:

Headline says, "Hunt for baht-bus driver".   I read the articles. Where does it say he's missing? Who's looking for him? Am I missing something? Please clarify.....  Was he ever arrested?  In hospital?  When did he disappear?  I think your headline is very misleading.

The Pattaya Mail wrote the article and the headline, if you would like to make a complaint, you can contact The Pattaya Mail here:  http://www.pattayamail.com/contactus

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I see this comment "life here is so cheap" many times on here and in my experience it is absolute and utter rubbish.

I consider myself one of life's observers.....and from what I see Thai Mothers and Fathers adore their children every bit as much as parents in the USA or Europe  or any place else in the world. Go into any  restaurant in any shopping mall and quit talking and start looking around you. Parents "doteing" on their beautiful children...In places like KFC, MK, Swensons, etc.,

How dare anybody say "life is cheap" in Thailand.

If life were more valued by those in positions of decision making power we would have seen vast improvements in road safety over the past couple of decades. 

Instead apathy is the default setting and in the face of numerous preventable deaths the implication would be that in aggregate the life of 'others' is not as valued as it is in many of our home countries. 

Thats not to suggest that parents do not dote on their own children, its just that as a society little consideration is given to the safety of others (those they don't know)... 'this is where the 'life is cheap' comment comes in... As long as 'it' happens to someone else people are more tolerant of the significant misgivings in Thailands road safety.

It's crazy to criticize this event.   Every TVF member should   fully  realize  this is just the Thai way of doing things.       It is an ingrained part of the  Thai culture   

It will not change unless and until  Thai citizens want change.

27 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I see this comment "life here is so cheap" many times on here and in my experience it is absolute and utter rubbish.

I consider myself one of life's observers.....and from what I see Thai Mothers and Fathers adore their children every bit as much as parents in the USA or Europe  or any place else in the world. Go into any  restaurant in any shopping mall and quit talking and start looking around you. Parents "doteing" on their beautiful children...In places like KFC, MK, Swensons, etc.,

How dare anybody say "life is cheap" in Thailand 

Really so difficult to understand that he meant that life is cheap because insurance will pay only 300k ?

Or maybe I am a genius ?!

300,000 battys is the price of a life, how heart warming to know that the insurance company will pay out just enough to cover the funeral costs!! and is this only to those who died at the scene, as dying later of injuries doesn't seem to count!

There are many examples of how cheap a life is in Thailand.   

Cost of an assassin.

Fines for deadly mistakes.

Insurance payment of 1 year salary for an electronic technician and 14 yr old life.  It should have been 35 lost years of income.  Plus pain and suffering for the parents. Maybe 20 million baht.   I say the value of life is 60-100 times to low in Thailand.  

2 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

Easy to stop the overloading, Police stop buses with children on, if the loading was say 16 children, then fine the driver 2000 baht for every child over that number and arrange for another empty bus to pick up the children. Most of these buses are owned by a consortium then as the financial cost of defying the law becomes too much stupid drivers will either stop doing it or abide by the law. Hit them where it hurts in their pockets.; Plus if an accident occure the insurance refuse to pay for injures for more people that the bus is licensed to carry. Not rocket sc ience but I have never YET seen a Baht bus stopped by police for overloading yet in  15 years.

Is there a license seated passengers on every bus in Thailand, I have never seen any sign. Each bus should be licensed to carry so many passengers seated and so many passengers standing and that should be on a sign on the rear of the bus and if that bus is carrying more than it is licensed too then the driver get hit with a hefty fine because he is the one who allowed the extra passengers on and the bus company get hit with a hefty fine to make them educate their drivers

2 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

Easy to stop the overloading, Police stop buses with children on, if the loading was say 16 children, then fine the driver 2000 baht for every child over that number and arrange for another empty bus to pick up the children. Most of these buses are owned by a consortium then as the financial cost of defying the law becomes too much stupid drivers will either stop doing it or abide by the law. Hit them where it hurts in their pockets.; Plus if an accident occure the insurance refuse to pay for injures for more people that the bus is licensed to carry. Not rocket sc ience but I have never YET seen a Baht bus stopped by police for overloading yet in  15 years.

Jesus Christ!!! Are the cops and Politicians that stupid to allow this carnage to continue especially when it involves children!! Cops GET off your butt and start policing the roads. Disgusting! Imagine if it was a cops kid. He would work 24/7. Shame on the coppers for doing nought. Tea time!

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

Then those same parents load their children up on the family motorcycle without helmets.Adorable.

1 minute ago, wavemanwww said:

Jesus Christ!!! Are the cops and Politicians that stupid to allow this carnage to continue especially when it involves children!! Cops GET off your butt and start policing the roads. Disgusting! Imagine if it was a cops kid. He would work 24/7. Shame on the coppers for doing nought. Tea time!

The problem is that the police do not have the budget to equipe its members with the cars and decent motorbikes that they need to do their jobs properly, but that being said I have seen many police officers standing around when an overloaded bus with school children on go past and they don't stop it, but also what about the parents letting their kids ride on the roof of the school buses. No one from the government through to the parents have any respect for life and that is why so many people die on the Thai roads. Just no respect for human life

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

The Thai mother and father may dote over their children and they may love their children but they do not protect their children and they do not respect the life of their children. What good parent would place their child's life in danger? It is seen every day where the parents will get on their motorbike and put their helmet on and then put their 3 children on without helmets. That is not protecting and respecting these children's lives. Carrying children on the roof of a truck that has been converted in someway to be a bus does not protect and respect the human life of those children. So yes "life is cheap" in Thailand

12 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The problem is that the police do not have the budget to equipe its members with the cars and decent motorbikes that they need to do their jobs properly, but that being said I have seen many police officers standing around when an overloaded bus with school children on go past and they don't stop it, but also what about the parents letting their kids ride on the roof of the school buses. No one from the government through to the parents have any respect for life and that is why so many people die on the Thai roads. Just no respect for human life

Sad sad I hope Pryuat is reading this and ACTS!

3 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

They must get stopped or they wouldn't bother paying the monthly tea money to not get stopped.

14 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Folks "sadly" it's not going to change in our lifetime......The sad fact is these poorly educated people don't "want" to act any differently from their predecessors, they just want to sail through their lives not giving a toss about anyone, or anything.

Even this carnage won't go into their heads and remain there as a lesson for the future...

Depressing ?

So far no-one has commented on the suitability of these vehicles  to carry passengers at all.

They are more dangerous than vans in a crash as passengers would likely be thrown out. They certainly would not be allowed to carry passengers in more responsible countries.

They should be banned at least outside of town limits and more buses organised.

There are buses on that route but I suppose people feel that the songtaew is more convenient.

There is no accountability... you can drive on these roads with government insurance what does that cover?> nothing it is only revenue... Insurance Companies are not in a uproar because the majority of the population doesn't have insurance so you don't hear from them.... Now if government insurance was made to pay out for death, property damage,. rehabilitation then possibly there might be a real concern of the road carnage and death till then samo samo...no change in attitude what soever :shock1::post-4641-1156694005:

7 hours ago, pieeyed said:

Why have they not found this driver or his wife? This accident happened on Nov 19th.

Follow a few simple rules, and the authorities will not find you easily. 11 days is not a huge time lap, does the authorities in your country find every suspect within 12 days, no matter what? Don't visit areas you frequently go to, don't keep in touch with family (and if you do, don't tell them where you are), turn off  your phone, disable all localization services or destroy your phone etc. These are just examples but there are plenty more.

Edited by Sirbergan

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

...and in every other country.

No, Not in every other country, just Thailand because most other countries would not allow a vehicle like this on the roads, it would be a properly constructed bus not a converted heap of junk with a canopy on it