No plan to lift ban on political activity: junta

rooster59

17 minutes ago, JimGant said:

You seem to miss the point. Go ask the average Thai if he's unhappier under this regime than in previous ones.

I must have missed the news on that one, which is possible..... In my mind, this has been a completely bloodless coup -- actually, more like an impeachment.

But, yeah, much work remains. Just glad to see the cabinet reshuffle is finally getting serious about agricultural problems.

"You seem to miss the point. Go ask the average Thai if he's unhappier under this regime than in previous ones."

I did. They are.

"I must have missed the news on that one, which is possible..... In my mind, this has been a completely bloodless coup -- actually, more like an impeachment."

Lovely bit of cherry picking. You could solve agricultural problems singlehandedly....

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

Actually, I'm sure most Thais haven't noticed any difference in their lives since the coup. I know no expats here have. Could economics and infrastructure have been better under a democratic regime? Maybe. But we'll never know. Seems they're doing a decent job.

And I'm sure most Thais are enjoying the serenity of no yellow/red friction in the streets. Yeah, the ivory tower professors and Marxist leaning populists are annoyed at being caged. Tough.

The press seems to be free enough, based on the anti government articles I read in the Bangkok Post and Nation.

And if you think the current rules against political discourse on the streets is harsh -- check out the rules and punishment in Malaysia and Singapore.

No. Compared to the rest of the world, Thailand is still a pretty good place to live, whether or not the leader is a General or a tycoon. What, you'd be happier in Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Niger, Libya, Iraq......... No, unless you're an idealist, things are just fine here. 

The country's you cite are hardly a benchmark with which to measure achievement. One does not have to be an academic or a Marxist to be opposed to speech crime, attitude adjustment, rampant corruption, nepotism, cover-ups, feudalism, the patronage system, or having a manic as head of state, one just needs to be sane.  The press is not free, nor is the average person. If the press were actually free to publish what they wanted, it would not be the subdued criticism we see every day. Nor are the people free, if you criticize the junta you run the risk of a jail term.

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

Actually, I'm sure most Thais haven't noticed any difference in their lives since the coup. I know no expats here have. Could economics and infrastructure have been better under a democratic regime? Maybe. But we'll never know. Seems they're doing a decent job.

And I'm sure most Thais are enjoying the serenity of no yellow/red friction in the streets. Yeah, the ivory tower professors and Marxist leaning populists are annoyed at being caged. Tough.

The press seems to be free enough, based on the anti government articles I read in the Bangkok Post and Nation.

And if you think the current rules against political discourse on the streets is harsh -- check out the rules and punishment in Malaysia and Singapore.

No. Compared to the rest of the world, Thailand is still a pretty good place to live, whether or not the leader is a General or a tycoon. What, you'd be happier in Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Niger, Libya, Iraq......... No, unless you're an idealist, things are just fine here. 

Cambodia I like more but my bucks come from Canada and they don' go far there.

5 hours ago, Artisi said:

Yep, more name calling and associated nonsense, could well be time for a real coupè, not a pretend one rearranging the deck chairs. 

Public caneings at Victory Monument held weekly for rudeness, road rage, no brakes, manslaughter and murder.  Etc. Like white on rice, people will take notice

3 hours ago, JAG said:

The mass murder at Thammasat University took

place at a time when the state (the perpetrators) had control of all the media. That allowed them to control what the people saw, heard and read about it. They were able to frame what was reported. I guss that very little was reported in Thailand. The victims came from a relatively narrow segment of society, equally easy to shut up.

The "media world" is vastly different now.

Media outside of Thailand yes, local reporting not so much, still controlled as and when needed to suit any agenda.