Maya intersection

malibukid

I seriously doubt there will be a flyover at that intersection.  It's been widened at each corner, but amazingly, they made a point of leaving footpaths in place. 

Personally, I find it a rather easy intersection to navigate on foot because the light intervals are so long.  There is plenty of time to cross a lane of stopped vehicles and islands in the middle of the road to wait for the opposing lane to clear.

From my rather limited viewpoint of assisting expats who end up in the ortho ward of Suan Dok hospital and other places, there are higher priority places in that area for a flyover.  In front of Kad Suan Kaew mall and the road in front of Chiang Mai Ram hospital.  People have been seriously injured and killed in both those locations.  I don't know of anyone who has been injured trying to cross at Maya.  Admittedly, I'm not privy to all the statistics, it's just what I know from the reports we get to Lanna Care Net.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

I learned how to cross the road at around 6 years of age.

Crossed many times, yet to be injured.

I am not superstitious , but I just wouldnt say that Ive never been injured crossing the road .

I often hear people saying "It was only yesterday that I said I have never blah blah blah and then it happened

Three weeks ago I noticed new signs in the median as I approached the Maya intersection from KSK. It is now legal to make a right turn from both lanes, which really helps to move traffic through that intersection. Unfortunately a few have not noticed that the right lane is now right turn only and proceed straight through. Kudos to the powers that be for an innovative solution that doesn't involve a costly infrastructure project.

4 minutes ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

I would like a foot bridge at Kotchasarn Rd / Loy Kroh Rd please.

Yeah, that side of the moat has issues, too, not just the west side.  I wonder how many tourists get hit trying to cross Kotchasarn Rd. at Thapae Gate.

32 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

Three weeks ago I noticed new signs in the median as I approached the Maya intersection from KSK. It is now legal to make a right turn from both lanes, which really helps to move traffic through that intersection. Unfortunately a few have not noticed that the right lane is now right turn only and proceed straight through. Kudos to the powers that be for an innovative solution that doesn't involve a costly infrastructure project.

Given that at least 50% of the traffic already made that right turn anyway, I don't think it's going to make too much difference.

• Like 1

Doubt you will see a pedestrian bridge there as they have approved plans for the elevated train to pass thru that intersection to link up to the underground system under the old town... :coffee1:

Edited by sfokevin

For danger the road crossings around Airport Plaza must be in the top 3. That's 6 lanes where you must do an imitation of Usain Bolt to get across.

Obviously as part of the building approval safe pedestrian access should have been part of the approval......ho hum.

The faded pedestian crossings on Hang Dong Rd are ignored and if like us you do pull up to let someone across you risk being shunted up the backside,the concept of  being courteous and lawful just doesn't wash.

29 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

Doubt you will see a pedestrian bridge there as they have approved plans for the elevated train to pass thru that intersection to link up to the underground system under the old town... :coffee1:

Approved plans ?   can you provide a link ?

• 10 months later...

pedestrians are expendable in Chiang Mai, all the Thai's ride scooters or drive.  i have studied the intersection at Maya Mall and it would be possible to build a spiral ramp in 3 locations and anchor it in 4.  never will happen.  as usual Thai's do not make public safety a priority. 

9 hours ago, malibukid said:

pedestrians are expendable in Chiang Mai, all the Thai's ride scooters or drive.  i have studied the intersection at Maya Mall and it would be possible to build a spiral ramp in 3 locations and anchor it in 4.  never will happen.  as usual Thai's do not make public safety a priority. 

Seems like a waste of money walking that intersection is part of the fun of being in CM. ????