Irish border deal reported settled as May meets Juncker

snoop1130

7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Today's events are clear evidence that the British Government has no idea what leaving the EU entails. 

The DUP, have used their position to represent the interests of the people they represent, every government in the EU will represent the interests of the people they represent. 

It was always going to be this way.

Brace yourself for what Spain have to say about Gibraltar.

I don't think the DUP are accurately reflecting the view of the majority of NI or even the majority of their own constituents. NI voted to remain and I am sure they don't want a physical border with Eire.

14 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I don't think the DUP are accurately reflecting the view of the majority of NI or even the majority of their own constituents. NI voted to remain and I am sure they don't want a physical border with Eire.

as has already been pointed out - The UK voted leave, as for nobody wanting a hard border - that is correct, I can't think of anyone that does except the EU as it will soon be an EU border with a foreign country come March 2019

If Ireland want to trade with the UK under WTO rules then they are heading the right direction

2 hours ago, smedly said:

People are now trying to blame the DUP for this failure in progress but as UK citizens they are standing up for their fundamental and constitutional rights, I actually blame the Irish government who is ultimately being told what to say and do directly from Brussels, it is they who have insisted on opening this can of worms and are refusing to allow progress.

If anything sums up the ludicrous attitude of Brexiters towards the EU it's your comment here. It's screamingly obvious that the open border is massively important for the Irish economy. Much more important to Ireland than it is to the EU as a whole.  Which means that if anything, it's the reverse case. That the EU is doing Ireland's bidding here. But you are so blinded by your "EU is a bully"  ideology that you just can't see it.

21 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Of course you're correct. But for the DUP the implications of special rules for Northern Ireland is that it will lead towards the path of reunification. For them, any threat to their Britishness must be repelled even at the cost of impoverishment.

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

as has already been pointed out - The UK voted leave, as for nobody wanting a hard border - that is correct, I can't think of anyone that does except the EU as it will soon be an EU border with a foreign country come March 2019

If Ireland want to trade with the UK under WTO rules then they are heading the right direction

Thanks for your erudite contribution. I shall consider your words carefully. ?

2 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Of course you're correct. But for the DUP the implications of special rules for Northern Ireland is that it will lead towards the path of reunification. For them, any threat to their Britishness must be repelled even at the cost of impoverishment.

I don't want them

2 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

What on earth are you going on about, 80% of Northern Ireland trade is within the UK

get your facts straight before posting nonsense

10 minutes ago, smedly said:

What on earth are you going on about, 80% of Northern Ireland trade is within the UK

First off, you posted that the EU is forcing Ireland to be confrontational on this issue. What in this statistic you just cited has anything to do with that?

And 37 percent of Northern Ireland's exports go to the South. That would mean almost 8% of GDP. Maybe to you, that's a negligible quantity?

45 minutes ago, smedly said:

You really think the most important issue here is trade? Such naivety!

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You really think the most important issue here is trade? Such naivety!

That is exactly what it is about, that is exactly why the EEC was formed up, that is exactly why the UK joined, there are however some divisive sinister people who want to make it about other things

Now I am done with you, you are very close to becoming the 2nd person I add to my ignore list on TVF in almost 14 years 

54 minutes ago, smedly said:

That would be a first, I'd be happy if were able to distinguish between fact and fiction but I doubt it

Who? You or me? You missed out the key pronoun. Fact or fiction or poetry?

Edited by Grouse

1 minute ago, smedly said:

That is exactly what it is about, that is exactly why the EEC was formed up, that is exactly why the UK joined, there are however some divisive sinister people who want to make it about other things

Now I am done with you, you are very close to becoming the 2nd person I add to my ignore list on TVF in almost 14 years 

I seriously doubt the Good Friday Agreement was about north-south trade.

What's that you're wearing BTW? Euroblinkers?

3 hours ago, smedly said:

I wouldn't even notice

The key point is the peace agreement. The amount of cross border trade is not huge. OK now?

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I seriously doubt the Good Friday Agreement was about north-south trade.

What's that you're wearing BTW? Euroblinkers?

But it was about the border:

"Ms May’s insistence on taking the UK out of the customs union and single market as part of Brexit has caused a major difficulty at the Irish border, because the Good Friday agreement – supported by all sides – stipulates that it must not be a hard border."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-dup-london-brexit-show-now-in-london-margaritis-schinas-a8092751.html