Teacher vs Ex-cop - dispute over who owns the 30 million baht lottery ticket

webfact

Teacher vs Ex-cop - dispute over who owns the 30 million baht lottery ticket

1pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

A teacher in Kanchanaburi has gone to the local police to say he has been swindled - by a cop

Preecha Khraikhruan, 50, who teaches secondary in the city said that he bought four sets of lottery tickets ending in the digits 26 from a lottery vendor.

But when he got home he saw that one set was missing - the set with the number 533726.

This number won the lottery in the 1st of November draw.

He immediately went to the police to register a complaint.

The prize money has since been claimed by a former policeman - and it is a lot of money - 30 million baht.

Officer Jirayut Chairinkun investigating the affair said that he would ensure that justice prevails even though the dispute involves a former colleague on the force.

In the intervening time both sides have failed to agree on whose ticket it really was.

The ex cop says he bought it too - just he can't remember the vendor.

While the vendor herself says she sold it to the teacher.

The teacher has now filed a complaint of theft against the ex cop.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-06

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

The ex cop says he bought it too - just he can't remember the vendor.

While the vendor herself says she sold it to the teacher.

But who to believe? A cop? A teacher? A teacher and a vendor?

Whatever happens I'm sure the current cops in this story will also be joint winners of the money.

Edited by rkidlad

Such a confusing story, he buys 4 sets of tickets, the cop has the wining one, the vendor remembers selling it to the guy, but the cop doesn't ?

Learn to check what you buy before you leave, like the change you get, bound to be short, bills in your glass for drinks as you go.

Looks like one lucky ex cop and a few back at the station that will make this go away after a brief piss up on the ex cop, plus some brown envelopes for the boys 555

43 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

But who to believe? A cop? A teacher? A teacher and a vendor?

Whatever happens I'm sure the current cops in this story will also be joint winners of the money.

Strange.. how can you misplace the tickets you bought, the teacher should come up with an explanation for that. Probably a mix up at the vendors. 

Strange 

Teacher said he bought 4 ,but didn't check what the Vendor gave him ( Caviet beware ) so ended up with 2 (maybe charged for 4)

So the Ex Cop comes along & buys 2 ticket (One would at least know the location ) & then they might track the Vendor

? So why is the ex cop being questioned if if the teacher din't check his purchase 

I would think the Vendor has a lot to answer

33 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Strange 

Teacher said he bought 4 ,but didn't check what the Vendor gave him ( Caviet beware ) so ended up with 2 (maybe charged for 4)

So the Ex Cop comes along & buys 2 ticket (One would at least know the location ) & then they might track the Vendor

? So why is the ex cop being questioned if if the teacher din't check his purchase 

I would think the Vendor has a lot to answer

Caveat emptor or buyer beware

Schoolteacher claims Bt30m lottery winnings collected by ex-cop

By Suphot Kaewkasi, 
Phumpong Jongsakul, 
Yotsaran Supan 
The Nation

0233de23323e4b9eadaeceebe4d8e33e.jpeg

Photo Courtesy of lawyer Sittra Biabangkerd's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/sittra/)

A 50-year-old schoolteacher in Kanchanaburi’s Muang district has filed a police complaint claiming that he had bought and lost five tickets that won a total of Bt30 million in the November 1 lottery, alleging that a retired policeman from the same district had withdrawn the money from the Government Lottery Office.

Case investigator Pol Captain Jirayuth Chatcharinkul said police would investigate who was the rightful winner and ensure justice for both sides.

In his complaint filed on Tuesday night, teacher Preecha Kraikruan claimed that a lottery vendor, who had regularly sold him tickets for five years, had the first-prize ticket stubs to back his claim. He added that he was willing to take the issue to court.

Preecha claimed he had bought four sets of lottery tickets, each comprising five tickets with the same number, from the female vendor at a market on October 31 and found upon arriving home that he had lost the five tickets with the number 533726.

When the vendor on November 1 congratulated him for winning the prize, he resumed his search and the vendor confirmed that he had bought the winning tickets after checking her ticket stubs.

Preecha said the Government Lottery Office had advised him to lodge a police complaint, which he did on November 3 and submitted it to the office.

He was then informed on November 28 that someone had already collected the prize money so police summoned him and an unidentified former policeman. After the two parties failed to reach an agreement, the schoolteacher filed another police complaint on Tuesday against the retired policeman to bring the matter to court.

Earlier this week, lawyer Sittra Biabangkerd from the People Lawyers’ Team Foundation posted on Facebook about the case after he was hired to represent the former police officer on December 3, while Bt20 million had been impounded by a police order pending the investigation.

The lawyer said it was suspicious that Preecha had deleted a Line message regarding his lottery order to the vendor on October 31, which should have been key evidence to back his claim.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30333307

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-06

A few months ago I came across a new lottery ticket on the ground about five metres from a lottery vendor. I picked it up wondering whether to keep it and decided to hand it in to the vendor instead. She was grateful and having looked at the number said it had been purchased as part of a bunch by one of her regular customers. She promised to give it back to him. clearly the guy had dropped it by mistake.

Same could have happened in this case, only an ex-cop picked it up ... and see what happened.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Officer Jirayut Chairinkun investigating the affair said that he would ensure that justice prevails even though the dispute involves a former colleague on the force.

Bless his cotton socks.

theres way to much raw material here to poke fun at..

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The teacher has now filed a complaint of theft against the ex cop

Will the charge be for a theft of a few baths worth of tickets.... or for 30million baht?.... big difference in the courtroom.

So lets put it this way 

In the real world if i was to find a camera I would have to lodge it with police & wait 30 days. If not claimed it's mine

So lets come back to here ! So now the story has changed & he lost all the tickets , but the Vendor remembers him (I would not call that real evidence ). In the west you have the opportunity to register you purchase incase of such an incident 

So on the statements above it comes down to man finds lost tickets & decides to keep & cash in but alas another man comes along & claims them as his - All on the word of the Vendor since she has the stubs ( lets go 50 /50 ) 

So what evidence can one produce that the stubs are in his name

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The lawyer said it was suspicious that Preecha had deleted a Line message regarding his lottery order to the vendor on October 31, which should have been key evidence to back his claim.

But.....surely the receiver would have the line message????

You snooze you lose.

Edited by coulson

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The set of tickets he lost,never received,or whatever happened,turn out to

be the winning tickets !, looks like the ex cop seems to be the winner.

regards worgeordie

You are right I think. The simple question is did that cop stole the ticket? If not then it belongs to the cop. If you dropped the ticket on the street and I picked it up then it belongs to me because the lottery office cannot be involved in who is the rightful owner. Not even in saying who bought which ticket, the vendor can only sell the ticket they can't go around saying anything else otherwise you could sue the lottery company.

I think the law is clear, the person holding the winning ticket is the rightful owner not unless you can prove he or she stole it from you.

5 hours ago, madusa said:

You are right I think. The simple question is did that cop stole the ticket? If not then it belongs to the cop. If you dropped the ticket on the street and I picked it up then it belongs to me because the lottery office cannot be involved in who is the rightful owner. Not even in saying who bought which ticket, the vendor can only sell the ticket they can't go around saying anything else otherwise you could sue the lottery company.

I think the law is clear, the person holding the winning ticket is the rightful owner not unless you can prove he or she stole it from you.

If I dropped my phone/camera/wallet and you picked it up, does it belong to you? If some days later, the BIB investigation led them to you and they found that item in your possession, would they congratulate you on your luck, or take a rather different attitude?

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Preecha said the Government Lottery Office had advised him to lodge a police complaint, which he did on November 3 and submitted it to the office.

He was then informed on November 28 that someone had already collected the prize money so police summoned him and an unidentified former policeman. After the two parties failed to reach an agreement, the schoolteacher filed another police complaint on Tuesday against the retired policeman to bring the matter to court.

Have to love this

Files a complaint 3 weeks prior to being notified that we didn't worry to keep an eye out or freeze those numbers , But we had a winner who claimed the lot - Now not our problem

18 hours ago, halloween said:

If I dropped my phone/camera/wallet and you picked it up, does it belong to you? If some days later, the BIB investigation led them to you and they found that item in your possession, would they congratulate you on your luck, or take a rather different attitude?

Here the same principle applies. Can you prove that I stole the wallet or camera if you can't how can you say it's yours? Or in other words can you prove that the camera I pick up on the street belongs to you or anything for that matter.

On 12/7/2017 at 11:31 PM, Antonymous said:

A few months ago I came across a new lottery ticket on the ground about five metres from a lottery vendor. I picked it up wondering whether to keep it and decided to hand it in to the vendor instead. She was grateful and having looked at the number said it had been purchased as part of a bunch by one of her regular customers. She promised to give it back to him. clearly the guy had dropped it by mistake.

Same could have happened in this case, only an ex-cop picked it up ... and see what happened.

If I dropped a ticket near a lottery vendor how would the vendor know who to return the ticket to ?

5 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

If I dropped a ticket near a lottery vendor how would the vendor know who to return the ticket to ?

That's what i was trying to state to wife 

She said in this case it was because the Vendor had the stubs & the Teacher was a regular

So I put the scenario to her

Well if i was just passing through some where & bought a ticket of a Vendor how would he know who I was as I would most probably never go there again & hadn,t been there before