Snow destinations near to Thailand

stament

Would like to take my kids to see some snow as they won't get the chance to see real snow in Chiang Mai ?

Had a look on the internet and Korea and Japan is recommended. I would like to visit a city that is:

not too expensive

interesting things to do besides snow

not too difficult to get too

We dont want to go to a ski resort, as we wont be skiing and would like a few other things to do, so a city probably suits better.

Some others have recommended China.  We can fly from either Chiang Mai or Bankgok depending on what is better flightwise.

Wasnt sure exactly what forum to post this in so feel free to move it.

3 hours ago, DipStick said:

Have a look at Harbin in NE China. Snow and loads of ice carvings

Jesus Harbin! That might just be a bit of a shock to the system. More like Deepest Siberia than a snowy holiday - it gets down to minus 40C up there and is not for the feint hearted. You would need to buy a load of winter gear and to be honest it is more ice than snow. You will have a tough time making even a snowball out of the snow there, it is so cold and dry it stays like a powder.

The ice sculptures are amazing, but you have to get there early before they become black with soot from the woodburners that keep the places warm. I weas there about 18 years ago, I took my Thai wife, she had never seen anything like it - 3 pairs of trousers and 5 shirts, 4 pairs of socks and it was still freezing. Well worth a look if you are up for it.

Jade Dragon Mountain, near Lijiang, Yunan, China
- fly to Kunming (1 hr. from Chiang Mai, 2 hrs. from Bangkok)
- overnight bed bus frorn Kunming to Lijiang and return
Also recommended from my Chinese friend. She's living near Kunming

12 minutes ago, CLW said:

Another option is Hokkaido, northern Japan.
Masses of snow guaranteed.
And plenty of things to do on the island

If he likes cities Sapporo is a great base in Hokkaido and much cheaper than Tokyo for sure. They have a winter festival each year as well. 

Almaty, Kazakhstan, home to the Asian Winter Games in 2011.

Reasonably priced hotel accommodation (similar cost to Bangkok but not as sophisticated). Very cheap but good quality restaurants and food with mixed European, east European and Asia choices 

Supermarket prices cheaper than Bangkok except imported goods and imported vegetables (winter)

Alcohol about 50% of the price in Bangkok

Cigarettes about 30% of the price in Bangkok

Taxis - around the city about 100Baht and to and from airport 300 Baht, plus uber at a cheaper rate.

Ski slopes accessible from the center of town and ski season lasts about 5 months. Additionally has one of the biggest ice skating rinks in the world.

Temps in winter probably range between 0 and -10C, sometimes -20C, so not as cold as the capital. Plenty of Youtube videos and google info on the place.

Direct flights Bangkok - Almaty on Air Astana (7 hours) and about 14 - 20K Baht eco depending on the time of year.

Biggest hassle is applying for a tourist visa as it needs to be done through a travel agent because you need a letter of invitation if you are Thai.

Aussies, Brits, Americans etc get visa on arrival.Kazakh and Thai government have been working on a reciprocal visa on arrival.

I live in Almaty, hence pretty up to date info

6 hours ago, DipStick said:

Have a look at Harbin in NE China. Snow and loads of ice carvings

lol.  I visited Harbin for the ice festival in 2007.  Perhaps it's different now, but at the time I'd describe it as patently unsafe.  Staircases made completely of ice with no traction surfaces and blood stains frozen into at least a few slides and staircases.  It was a sight to behold, that's for sure.  I was treated as first class royalty as a lowei too - to the front of every line.  The Russian island was pretty neat, and there's snow/ice activities on the frozen river that could be fun with kids.  The food was unique for China, grilled fatty meats and delicious flatbread, very memorable and delicious.

Personally I enjoy very cold weather - I go camping in Colorado down to -30 at least once a year (when I lived in the states), so I didn't find the cold to be bothersome.  But we were scammed mercilessly there too.  Absolutely mobbed by scammers as we exited the train station.  Flew back to Shanghai on a domestic airline and it was sketchy at best.  I'm sure things have changed a lot since then, but I'd just as soon not go back to China, Harbin included.  There's better options unless you consider the ice festival to be a must see - in which case I'd strongly recommend crampons (jk - smashing up the ice would probably not be appreciated).

7 hours ago, allane said:

This but why wouldn't you fly between Kuming and Lijiang? 

Lijiang is a magical place - the old city is amazing along with the mountains around it. 

Also if you have enough time going onwards to Shangri La recommended as well although I don't know what the trip would be like in the middle of winter - I'd think insanely cold given I was there in March and it was -16c :)

Where would be a good place for a novice skier to go from Bangkok for a few days skiing ?
All the normal add ons like, not too expensive, not long flights and good food.
Near Peking are two ski resorts for beginners with artificial snow machines just in case.
Yunnan province, China
Nagano, Japan
Hokkaido, Japan

This travel agency in Thailand with the blue letters (I think it is called HIS travel) have often good packages for snow and skiing trips from Thailand

23 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'd go for Japan, or how about the mountains of New South Wales.

I think Japan may be the go as we know the Chinese

I have a Thai / Jap women living across the rd

By the way (i know i can research ) but when & how long are their seasons & how does it stack up against the cost of BBK prices

12 hours ago, allane said:

Is there much to do in Kunming? not keen on overnight buses with young children

7 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Almaty, Kazakhstan, home to the Asian Winter Games in 2011.

Reasonably priced hotel accommodation (similar cost to Bangkok but not as sophisticated). Very cheap but good quality restaurants and food with mixed European, east European and Asia choices 

Supermarket prices cheaper than Bangkok except imported goods and imported vegetables (winter)

Alcohol about 50% of the price in Bangkok

Cigarettes about 30% of the price in Bangkok

Taxis - around the city about 100Baht and to and from airport 300 Baht, plus uber at a cheaper rate.

Ski slopes accessible from the center of town and ski season lasts about 5 months. Additionally has one of the biggest ice skating rinks in the world.

Temps in winter probably range between 0 and -10C, sometimes -20C, so not as cold as the capital. Plenty of Youtube videos and google info on the place.

Direct flights Bangkok - Almaty on Air Astana (7 hours) and about 14 - 20K Baht eco depending on the time of year.

Biggest hassle is applying for a tourist visa as it needs to be done through a travel agent because you need a letter of invitation if you are Thai.

Aussies, Brits, Americans etc get visa on arrival.Kazakh and Thai government have been working on a reciprocal visa on arrival.

I live in Almaty, hence pretty up to date info

sounds good if I was going on my own or with a friend but too far to go with little kids. Besides dont think my wife would like it, think she would prefer Korea or Japan

sounds quite good, any more info? costs etc
Hotels are similar priced as in the west.
Private bed and breakfast (ryokan) with traditional Japanese rooms and food are worth trying.
The city is clean and well organised.
Seafood is amazing there and not expensive.
In winter they have snow sculpture festival that draws visitors from all over Japan.
Best way to get around with family would be to rent a car. You need international drivers permit.

To the OP: there isn't a lot to do in Kunming. They have a small zoo, and some floral gardens. They have a very mild climate, situated as they are at 2000 m elevation. It is 20 degrees almost every day of the year, with maybe 2 weeks of 15 degree weather in Jan., and two weeks of 25 degree weather in July. There may be day buses to Lijiang, though I would opt for the night ones, as it is about a 12 hr. trip.

Lijiang has now been declared a UNESCO World Heritage site, with consequent high admission fees for foreigners to get into the old city. I was there just before those fees were introduced.