Foreign tourists kicking up a stink about smoking ban - but Thais "willingly cooperate"

snoop1130

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Ahhhh!!!! It all makes sense now !! All the law abiding Thais are in Pattaya !!! That is why, when taking my Son to school this morning I witnessed Three, Four, Five on a bike, No helmets, Mostly underage, Car drivers on the phone, no seatbelts, driving the wrong way on a one way street, 12 in the back of a pick-up. Steel re-bar sticking out 2 metres from the back. Trucks overloaded with ballast and cement.......Women on motor bikes throwing bags of rubbish into the bushes without even slowing down .....Law Abiding Thais........LMAO.........:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Brightened my day no end :biggrin:

You forgot the non- helmeted rider with the dog standing on a tray behind him.

1 hour ago, mark01 said:

It's the law abiding Thais that caused most of the pollution (garbage in the sea and on the beach) problem in the first place.

The non-smoking beach solution is just idiotic.

This will be quite a revelation for so many of our posters who aren't aware of any law-abiding Thais. Or rather, pretend they aren't, for the beloved sport of bashing.

So then it appears all will be well if we can just get rid of the law-abiding Thais. Yee haw!

i really hope that all of this random BS makes tourists go someplace else and hurts the economy. go and ban f* foam dishes and all the other crap that thais throw into the ocean and adress some real problems. a few well placed ashtrays would have done the trick.#letsmakethailandtheworstholidaydestinationever

18 minutes ago, robsamui said:

I keep having a nightmare - and in it I dream that one day I'm going to wake up and realise that I'm trapped in a Monty Python sketch and not actually here in Thailand - but the nightmare is that I can't wake up.

Sadly, a common problem on our forum--countless members trapped in Monty Python sketches. Hence TVF Pattaya vs. real Pattaya.

But that can be easily fixed. Why haven't you taken one of the obvious solutions?

Edited by JSixpack

Of course tourists don't like the new law.  They are the only ones that will ever pay a fine or do jail time.  Thais won't ever be charged since it might bring hardship on the family.

Like most things we will accommodate the new laws.  My solution is to never go to the toilet that Pattaya calls beaches again!:smile:

Why can't the members of this forum obey the laws? And why are you blaming the Thais who are cooperating? Any law that limits the unhealthy practice of smoking is fine in my book. If I was the supreme cop in Pattaya, I would throw you silly stupid idiots in jail for a few weeks on the first offense, and any subsequent arrest would be deportation. One less smoker I have to deal with. 

11 hours ago, YaiJung said:

"But at least most Thais are OK with it and gladly cooperate". ... I went for a walk at dongtan beach this afternoon and saw more Thais than foreigners smoking on the beach.

Shame you not a Thai or you would have had a field day with your mobile and put it on Facebook

"They said if they are not allowed the freedom to smoke they won't come back to Pattaya."

Oh Noooo!  No more quality tourists blocking the beach walk and spitting on the ground. No more pom pui  idiots lying on the dirty sand and swimming in sewer beach. What is Pattaya going to do without these cheap charleys?   boo hoo boo hoo

1 hour ago, Xmas3965 said:

Go to Australia, you cannot smoke anywhere now days. Public places, restaurants, in your car if have kids.

I know he was only having a larf !  But about 8 years ago a Dutch friend said " No where can you smoke in the Netherlands , if you want to have a cigarette in your own house you have to pull the curtains "

Have a good Xmas Xmas.

you go to prison for nearly anything here... rent your condo for less than 1 month, smoke on the beach.... 
In front of my condo which is directly on Jomtien Beach, every morning about 20 tourist busses are parked just 1 m away from beach. The let the motors run 1 hour before customers coming and infect the whole area with noise and diesel pollution without any particular filters. These buses infect the area more than 20 K cigarette smoking people. 
Why not banning the busses from parking on the beach?????

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Just another way of killing off the tourist industry as the Chinese and the Russians love to smoke !

60% Russian males smoke, 62-68% Chinese males.

Unlikely to see mass boycott by UK males: 19.3%.

1 hour ago, Saan said:

Australians are used to not smoke in public areas in their country so it shouldn't be a problem in Pattya.

Australians like many others have to wear crash helmets when riding bikes , but over here that law is ignored.

I for one am a part time smoker ( 5 per day ) but I won't go to Pattaya for about 3 other reasons on TV today.

I think sticking people in jail over smoking is a bit over the top 

Unless they are repeat offenders

Fine them a minimum 1000 baht first time then more if it happens again if the tourist cant get  the message and carrys on smoking end their holiday and deport them

on about the UK papers writing about people getting jailed which I doubt so be it send the message out  

the tourist can sit in a plane for 12-14 hours getting here no smoking 

surely they can go to a designated smoking area if needed when here 

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Looks like the severe fine and harsh 1 year jail sentence seems to be working with the locals on the beach cigarette issue....why not establish similar severity with the road laws and hopefully the message may get through ?????

You are starting to think like a smart, modern, westernised farang and Thai authorities do not like and cannot deal with that!  

Seems that Thai authorities would rather re-invent a useless broken wheel (and they do and are good at it). Doesn't appear to successfully solve anything, unfortunately.

They are constrained by the seeming inability to use high order critical thinking that may produce a desirable result. :coffee1: Guess that would be why, to many, the Kingdom is considered very much a third world country despite the many attractions of the Kingdom.

Banning smoking in the outdoors is a bit draconian. But, as is the case with everything else this administration is responsible for, it will be forgotten within a week or two. 

I do tend to agree with the no smoking ban in certain more confined areas. It is not too much to ask. I realize that smoking is an addiction, much like heroin. But, please. A little discipline is not alot to ask for, in order to spare others the heinous second hand smoke. 

However, the part about the Thais willingly cooperating, is like something out of a science fiction movie. 

Edited by spidermike007

I would love to look the writer of this piece of whatever in the eye and just burst out laughing... I was walking along the beach yesterday , many people as it was a beautiful afternoon,  you know what I saw ? Thais... smoking.... Good God Almighty , No ! NO ! NOT on your Nelly !