Pattaya requests 1.6 billion baht for flood-drainage pipeline

Rimmer

Pattaya requests 1.6 billion baht for flood-drainage pipeline

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya is requesting 1.6 billion baht to construct a major flood-drainage pipeline running through from the center of the city to the ocean.

The Pattaya City Council on Dec. 1 said it has submitted its budget request to Chonburi’s provincial governor to forward to the Interior Ministry. Council members said the request was made following the embarrassing flooding that took place during last month’s International Fleet Review, which gave Pattaya a black eye in the world media.

Mayor Anan Charoenchasri said the fleet show flooding, which forced international navy personnel to parade through calf-deep water, was exacerbated by city hall’s decision to remove ugly pumps from the beachfront. So when it rained unexpectedly, Pattaya was caught flat – and wet – footed.

Following the fleet show, the Department of Public Works and Town & Country Planning was asked to draft a plan for a large underground pipeline to carry water from central Pattaya to the sea, mitigating or preventing all together major flooding on Beach Road.

Moreover, the project’s scope covers additional areas along Sukhumvit Road that also regularly are flooded.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-requests-1-6-billion-baht-flood-drainage-pipeline-193893

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-12-08

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

The bay will be full of even more crap.

regards Worgeordie

How so, since the water is overflowing into the bay anyway?

Edit: Whoops, forgot our experts think that the flooding on Beach Rd comes only from the rain falling on Beach Rd. :biggrin: Lesson about water flowing downhill taught during The Tunnel construction--ignored or lost.

Edited by JSixpack

All the flooding on Beach Road on the day of the parade was due to water coming from higher ground. Whilst the storm was in progess, we were sat in a beachside restaurant where marchers were assembled and ready to go. A torrent of water swept down from 2nd Road and finished up on Beach Road.

Flooding during the parade! Been kept pretty quiet. I didn't see anything on here about it. Pity as I'd have enjoyed the laugh.

Once again, Pattaya authorities prove they couldn't manage a piss up at a brewery, as we used to say in the service.

Perhaps they should have had the parade along the Jomptien Beach Rd instead.

Did the sand they deposited along the walkway where it got washed away before vanish along with Pattaya's "reputation"? I remember that thread.

On December 9, 2017 at 4:52 AM, DrTuner said:

Yeah, dig it all up. Shouldn't take more than 15 years to put a couple of 2" blue pvc pipes in the ground. Provided they can find a couple of Burmese to do it.

After "patronage fees" there is not a heck of a lot left over to get the work done from  ฿1.6b.

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Flooding during the parade! Been kept pretty quiet. I didn't see anything on here about it. Pity as I'd have enjoyed the laugh.

Once again, Pattaya authorities prove they couldn't manage a piss up at a brewery, as we used to say in the service.

Perhaps they should have had the parade along the Jomptien Beach Rd instead.

Did the sand they deposited along the walkway where it got washed away before vanish along with Pattaya's "reputation"? I remember that thread.

Here ya go.

10 hours ago, jaywalker said:

Here ya go.

Thanks for posting that. No wonder it's being kept quiet.

It boggles me that anyone thinks that city hall can actually pull something like that off.

I guess they'll think twice next time.

I do feel sorry for the sailors though. It wasn't their fault Pattaya can't even fix the drains, and on a road next to the sea :cheesy: x a million.

What is really funny though, is that they still come out with all the BS about Pattaya being a "tourist" resort worthy of accolade.

Just give it up and go back to what Pattaya actually was good at- a cheap and cheerful place to have a drink and a takeaway.

After the latest pipe idea also failed and desperate to stop all this flooding nonsense from ruining Patt's reputation the authorities went proper medieval old school in trying the King Canute method of holding the waters back .. And that didn't work either .. :saai:

IMG_20171217_174458.jpg

On 12/8/2017 at 3:48 PM, Chang_paarp said:

Again???

What happened to the last lot they were given to "fix" the drainage? :shock1:

You mean this one :  You can see for yourself whats left of that drainage project and beach restoration project-

The sorry mess of construction trailers junkyard at South end of beach  "walkway"   

Edited by morrobay
add

6 hours ago, morrobay said:

You mean this one :  You can see for yourself whats left of that drainage project and beach restoration project-

The sorry mess of construction trailers junkyard at South end of beach  "walkway"   

Thanks for posting that. I missed it at the time.

I had a good few laughs from it anyway.

Far as I remember they did install the big drain at the north end, but as for the other 2? If installed obviously did nothing, and of course nothing has been done to replenish the beach sand.

I'm lovin' it.