best rat poison.

p414

Don't know as we trap/relocate/release mice but be careful as poison tends to work up the food chain.  Perhaps best to just let live outside and try to make house unwelcome - google will provide some hints such as peppermint plants/spray.   

• Like 1

I find it best to use the sticky plates,just put some nuts,bread any bait

on it cover it with something so other wildlife cannot get in,but the rats

can if you use poison.the rat can be eaten by local cats.or just get a cat,

thats the best solution,we had the same problem,got a cat and she soon

sorted them out.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

No food source...no rats. They are finding food somewhere or else they would not be there. In colder climates it's different as mice especially in winter take shelter inside but here not an issue. Likely living in storm sewers and searching for food around your yard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonray said:

No food source...no rats. They are finding food somewhere or else they would not be there. In colder climates it's different as mice especially in winter take shelter inside but here not an issue. Likely living in storm sewers and searching for food around your yard.

Not true. I've had rats snooping around in my (3rd floor) kitchen with nothing for them to eat... and he didn't stop at one visit. I keep my kitchen scrupulously clean with no accessible food available for rodents. I also saw it (Rufus) quite a number of times in the bedroom and on the balcony. They can eat shoes, electrical cables and all sorts of things you wouldn't call food.

I bought a cage trap but didn't have to use it as he stopped visiting... and just recently a small Rufus came to visit.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I find it best to use the sticky plates,just put some nuts,bread any bait

on it cover it with something so other wildlife cannot get in,but the rats

can if you use poison.the rat can be eaten by local cats.or just get a cat,

thats the best solution,we had the same problem,got a cat and she soon

sorted them out.

regards worgeordie

You're rather vague about all of this...

I've heard of sticky paper that won't work for big rats.

Is this what you're talking about:

If so, where can you get them in Thailand? Will it hold a big rat?

Also, you mentioned covering it. How can you cover it if it needs to be accessible to rats?

Glue-board. Friendship & 7/11's. Cheap & effective. Put plenty out and along a wall or near their underground "homes/holes. Rice and a bit of cheese or bacon or chicken will do fine.

Can also find bigger traps in hardware-shops, possibly friendship. The poison works slowly and many are resistant.

They evolve creating more Vitamin K to counteract Warfarin/blood-thinner.  

https://www.skedaddlewildlife.com/how-mice-have-developed-a-resistance-to-warfarin-based-poison/

Pest Control companies will mostly use traps and stronger posions.  MS>

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

They are for sale in Makro,and all supermarkets,DIY stores,,Thai ones are not like the one you show they are bigger,

and yes they trap big rats, well what about covering it with a cardboard box with a hole so the rat can get in,thats

just for the guy who has them outside,in the rainy season they usually invade the ceilings,so just put some sticky 

plates up there, rats are the worst of vermin,my wife's father died of  leptospirosis,so no sympathy at all for them.hope that makes things clearer for you.

regards worgeordie

Thanks! I like the idea of these. I've focused on cages and other kinds of traps...  Can you reuse a plate?

10 hours ago, moonseeker said:

No, you can't... Don't touch that glue... 555...nasty stuff. Do the 3prong approach. Trap. Glue and poison. Good luck. MS>

Trap and glue and poison is if you have a major infestation.

The box traps are more humane in that the rat is simply trapped... until my MiL drops it in a bucket of water! Catch and release isn't the proper way to address a vermin problem.

The conventional flat-traps are much more rewarding if crushed heads are what you're looking for. Wear gloves.

The sticky pads are pretty grim as big rats will make loads of noise trying to get unglued. The glue isn't poisonous, just sticks like the proverbial sh!t to a blanket. Wear gloves.

If there are no other animals around that concern you, the Bayer 'blue rice' type dry poison works great. Rats eat and go die. The nursing female rat takes it back to the rat factory and they all die peacefully in their sleep. Bad news if the rat factory is in your roof space or in the heater ducts of your car.

I reckon your Rufus will happily get stuck on just one sticky pad and then you chuck it in the bin and move on.

Check in the air-fresheners, bug spray and cleaning stuff aisle at Big C as they have half-sized sticky pads as well as full-size ones. I have only ever seen the full-sized ones at HomePro.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

... Check in the air-fresheners, bug spray and cleaning stuff aisle at Big C as they have half-sized sticky pads as well as full-size ones. I have only ever seen the full-sized ones at HomePro.

If the "half size" are the same ones that I bought, you will find that they are hinged across the centre and fold out into full size.

My step-son (bless him) doesn't like any animal to be killed. If he is around when we have a rat stuck on a glue board he takes it to the rubbish tip and pours cooking oil over it. Apparently, the rat can then free itself in a few minutes.

(at least, thats what he tells me he's doing when he rides off with the rat and a bottle of cooking oil)

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 12/12/2017 at 11:10 PM, chickenslegs said:

If the "half size" are the same ones that I bought, you will find that they are hinged across the centre and fold out into full size.

My step-son (bless him) doesn't like any animal to be killed. If he is around when we have a rat stuck on a glue board he takes it to the rubbish tip and pours cooking oil over it. Apparently, the rat can then free itself in a few minutes.

(at least, thats what he tells me he's doing when he rides off with the rat and a bottle of cooking oil)

ive had to release quite a few birds that have got stuck to them gluetraps using cooking oil,  ive also had to vacate the house on occasion after a rat has dragged the trap into areas i cant reach in the roof and died. the stench is too much!!

now theyre no longer in the roof but the guttering outside and they even try to build nests in my trucks engine chewing at wiring sheathing and hard plastic...

i hate them!!!

Edited by edgarfriendly

On 12/13/2017 at 5:30 AM, bluewavesam said:

Glue boards work best so the rats won't just die and rot anywhere. 

What do you do with a live rat stuck on a glue plate? It seems more humane to me to just use the old  fashioned spring trap that breaks their neck instantly. I used to get rats in my ceiling but I scattered some mothballs around and they have never been back.

• Thanks 1

+ 1 Glue-board, the square ones are best, cheap, fast and effective.   Put out a bunch of them along!!! walls corners etc. Rats & mice usually go along walls. Not pleasant to collect the other day, but very quick. Don't touch the glue or get on your shirts....Messy....

Good luck.  MS>

• 11 months later...
On 12/12/2017 at 10:30 PM, bluewavesam said:

Glue boards work best so the rats won't just die and rot anywhere. 

They are really good!! Worked quickly for me, as soon as I went out shopping, came back and there it was stuck down etc, out to the street big bin, end of!

On 4/30/2019 at 12:45 AM, Pdavies99 said:

They are really good!! Worked quickly for me, as soon as I went out shopping, came back and there it was stuck down etc, out to the street big bin, end of!

Not humane at all. The rat dies a slow lingering death unless you kill it as soon as it's trapped. Far more humane to use the old fashioned spring-loaded rat trap that breaks their neck and they die immediately. Just because it's a rat doesn't mean it has to suffer.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP.. poison is not good.  One of my dogs died after eating part of a dead rat that had been poisoned by a neighbour.... watching my dog die in pain from the poison was traumatic... and I can't even stand to think a rat going through that either.  

The glue traps are just totally cruel in inhumane.

Use the old spring snap traps if you have to.

Also you need to find out why the rats are at your place.  There must be something attracting them... food... somewhere, maybe not at your house, but plot or house near you.  If you don't find out what is attracting them you are going to have to endlessly kill more and more of them for years as new ones will keep coming and breeding, so you are not solving the problem.

How about getting a terrier like dog?  My chihuahua mix breed dog cleared out all the rats from out last place.  She spent hours happily hunting them outside each evening and each making a neat pile of them by the door to show us she deserved her keep.  

I have even seen ferrets for sale as pets here... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

It's an animal that experiences pain just like you do.

Got to laugh...Sorry.

So its okay to cut there head off sometimes slowly, get a dog to chase them and bite them etc and get a disease. Get Rat poison and let them bleed out etc, but its not god to stick them!!!   Give it a break, there are plenty more in Thailand, stop moaning FGS!!

Oh and by the way, yes I do beilieve in animal rights etc, even a crocodile should not be a handbag!

19 minutes ago, Pdavies99 said:

Got to laugh...Sorry.

So its okay to cut there head off sometimes slowly, get a dog to chase them and bite them etc and get a disease. Get Rat poison and let them bleed out etc, but its not god to stick them!!!   Give it a break, there are plenty more in Thailand, stop moaning FGS!!

Oh and by the way, yes I do beilieve in animal rights etc, even a crocodile should not be a handbag!

Wake up, if there's a humane way to kill something over a way that causes the animal suffering, why wouldn't you choose that way. That is unless you get pleasure out of seeing something suffer.

• Haha 1

Get your self a Big Pussy, Cat, No mice no rats,  Those sticky plates are awfull, the rat screams, then you have to drown them , also the sticky plates catch Jinjoks, and other small harmless things.

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1