Thai woman held in China over two million baht owed to clothes' traders

snoop1130

Thai woman held in China over two million baht owed to clothes' traders

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvOTEzLzQ1NjYxMTQvMTAuanBn.jpg

A Thai woman is being held in the port city of Guangzhou in China in a dispute over money owed by a relative.

The woman who has not been named was on a buying mission to stock a shop in the Platinum shopping center at Pratunam.

But during the trip she was abducted and held by the Chinese clothes' sellers because her husband's elder sister owes the company two million baht.

The elder sister has said that she does not have the money to pay the debt. The pair often went on buying trips together to China.

The Pratunam trader contacted a Thai police friend in Chacherngsao who called immigration to intervene. They contacted the Chinese police who only took the woman into their own custody.

The Chinese cops explained that Chinese and Thai law were different - a relative of someone who owed money who was believed to be in cahoots with the debtor could be held until the debt was paid. 

Thai authorities are scurrying to try and secure the trader's release by contacting their counterparts in China. 

Source: http://news.sanook.com/4566114/

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-11

15 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The elder sister has said that she does not have the money to pay the debt. The pair often went on buying trips together to China.

I can see why the Chinese police believe that the debt is a shared one, then. 

They could be wrong of course...except in China they never are. 

Even when they are. 

Unless they upset someone in the party that is. 

Aren’t totalitarian states wonderful.

Edited by Bluespunk

2 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

How about settling the debt with the Chinese company first and when she's home they can sort things out.

Her family must have assets here.

They might have ran out of cash and perhaps a new clothes run should have filled one of the holes. I guess you know how good some of them are when it comes to money. 

Edited by jenny2017

1 hour ago, Jools said:

Typical Chinese M.O.   If a debt isn't paid, just kidnap a relative and hold them for ransom. Nearly as bizarre as some Thai laws.

But wasn't she there with her relative before, so they might think that both are doing the business. Well, it certainly looks like it. 

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Even when they are. 

Only wonderful when you don't have to live there. teaching there is long out of my mind after some research. 

31 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Only wonderful when you don't have to live there. teaching there is long out of my mind after some research. 

Have some friends teaching in guangzhou. They love it. Chauffeur to school or anywhere they like. 

10 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

How about settling the debt with the Chinese company first and when she's home they can sort things out.

Her family must have assets here.

dont u get it they dont want to pay like most Thais in the world they want everything for free. hope their allowed to start to tourtcher her soon.:sorry:

Edited by catman20

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Even when they are. 

I worked in China for about 4 years, was nothing like I expected it to be. The only time I was aware of the Army was the red number plate they have on their cars so no one messes with the Army even the police who are powerless. A lawless place you can do what you want within reason as you don't speak out against the regime.The brainwashing of people, who still look at Mao as a hero of the people, is still taking place with the younger generation. We had students as translators, when the 30th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre was coming up I asked the student in a vague manner, "What happened there then" as if I didn't know and he responded "It was foreigners causing trouble"

Back to the topic she won't get out until they pay up

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

The report neglects to mention how much is the debt owed?

From paragraph 3

''But during the trip she was abducted and held by the Chinese clothes' sellers because her husband's elder sister owes the company two million baht.''

22 hours ago, Jools said:

Typical Chinese M.O.   If a debt isn't paid, just kidnap a relative and hold them for ransom. Nearly as bizarre as some Thai laws.

Much better than the American model, let them repeatedly scam millions by not paying debts then make them president for coming second in a two horse race, now that really is bizarre!