The End of Exorbitant Prices for Glasses?

DogNo1

A new optical shop named OWNDAYS has recently opened on the 2nd or maybe 3rd floor of the Gaysorn Tower.  Their prices are clearly posted.  Frames are 1,000 baht up and single strength lenses are 1,990 baht.  Progressives are about 3,000 more.  Today I ordered new lenses for my reading classes in line with my new prescription of this past September.  We'll see how they turn out. I hope that OWNDAYS is not forced out of business by powerful and well-connected optical chains.  OWNDAYS' caveat was that, so long as my new lenses conform to my prescription without any flaws, they will not remake the lenses.  The amount that I've paid for sometimes poorly made progressive and reading glasses in Bangkok is a hundreds of times more than the OWNDAYS price .  I will be very happy to see some of the shops that ripped me off go out of business.  

15 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

The amount that I've paid for sometimes poorly made progressive and reading glasses in Bangkok is a hundreds of times more than the OWNDAYS price . 

According to your post Owndays price for progressive lenses is 4990 Baht ( 1990 + 3000 ) + 1000 Baht for the frame = 5990 Baht.

If you paid in the past hundreds times more you clearly been in the wrong places.

My last purchase in Pattaya was 4600 Baht for Hoya progressive lenses and a farang sized rimless frame, with spring enabled temples.

Edited by janclaes47

Have you looked at the Zenni website?  Very good quality at lower price in frames that fit our oversized heads.  Many people have reported getting good service and glasses from them - I have ordered 4 times for myself and wife over the last decade and very happy with price/quality.  

http://www.zennioptical.com/

janclaes47:  You are right.  A couple years ago, I bought replacement lenses at some wrong places.  After shopping around Bangkok a lot, I found a shop in Emquartier that was willing to get me Nikkon progressive lenses for 17,000.  I then talked a shop in Central World into getting the lenses for the same price.  They were Hoya lenses but I paid about three times as much as you did.  I had gone all over Bangkok from optical shops in malls to small stand-alone optical shops and Just couldn't seem to get a better price.  I posted on the forum and several people, as did lopburi3 this time, recommended Zenni Optical.  I didn't get Zenni glasses at that time because I don't like earpieces that are strongly spring-loaded.  I went back to Tokyo at the end of that winter and found that many reasonable optical shops had opened, putting an end to the grip of extortionist optical shops, so I had some reading glasses made in Tokyo.  As someone remarked about the optical shops here, the frames were either too small or the nose pads were not suitable for western noses. To solve this I reused some old frames.  This past summer, I bought three nice frames at Walmart in California for about $45.00 each.  I'll try out the reading glasses that I get in the new frames this time but OWNDAYS, like many other Bangkok shops won't make bifocals.  I can't handle progressives and find that many shops that do make bifocals put the lines too high for me so I've hesitated to order my bifocals online.

Hope they arebetter then the chap at MBK ground floor...not sure how they did the job but the pair I made there at MBK was with the identical prescription as back home, yet the power seemed higher and was hurting the eyes. So for the moment I stuck to the pair made back home in Europe.

However thanks to the posters here for the precious advice and places to go...I'll give them all a try.

Just been to ,probably the largest optician around, 21K for new prescription, spring frames, tint, (change colour,) progressive lens. But, was offered a fantastic deal, as they advertise, buy one, get one free. The free one costs 20% of the 21K. ( take the 20% discount, or pay the full price to get one pair free. Plain lens)

There are various types of progressive lenses. The cheap ones will only offer sharp vision in a very small area forcing you to move your head towards what you want to see, the most expensive ones allow you to just move your eyes and still have a sharp vision.
Comparing prices just based on prescription isn't much of a comparison. Quality and technical capabilities come at a cost.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I took my prescription to an optical shop in Pnomh Penh last  month and bought new frames (made in Japan) and new lenses (made in Singapore) for 600 TB

Also bought a pair with "Photochromic" lenses that darken in bright sunlight for 1100 TB.

Am very happy.

29 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

I took my prescription to an optical shop in Pnomh Penh last  month and bought new frames (made in Japan) and new lenses (made in Singapore) for 600 TB

Also bought a pair with "Photochromic" lenses that darken in bright sunlight for 1100 TB.

Am very happy.

Do you remember the shop name in Pnom penh ? or location ? Thanks.

15 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Frames are 1,000 baht up and single strength lenses are 1,990 baht.  Progressives are about 3,000 more. 

I would be skeptical about the quality of progressive lenses that cheap. You'll feel like you're inside a warped fishbowl.

8 hours ago, observer90210 said:

So for the moment I stuck to the pair made back home in Europe.

Usually the progressive lenses I've bought were made in Bangkok. The one time I opted to have the lenses sent out from Germany they were crap. Returned them to Euro Optics and had them replaced with better quality locally made lenses.

Edited by Suradit69

I'm a retired ophthalmologist (MD) who has worked with thousands of patients and many opticians (eyeglass people).  Just some pointers for consumers:

• In general (like most things), you get what you pay for, but not always, especially if you're not in your home country.  I get my own eyeglasses when I return to the US every year or two.
  • An optical shop is like any small business, and you pay more for a convenient location, experienced opticians, good products, etc.  An eyeglass lens is a custom ground precision product.  The cheapest may not be the best, but if you shop at upscale malls and look for designer frames, you'll probably pay more. 
  • The eyeglass Rx may look like different numbers, but be identical, depending on the system used.
  • A small difference in Rx is not noticeable to most people - a quarter diopter is small.
  • The quality of the optician is important, because they measure the fit of the frame, the bifocal height, the inter pupillary distance - all critical factors in making the Rx comfortable.  An experienced optician costs more than a novice.
  • The more the strength of the Rx, the more critical these measurements are.  For simple single vision lenses, the measurements are less important.  For bifocals or progressives, they are more important.
  • The Rx does not have the measurements in it.  The provider usually doesn't take them. 
  • Mail order companies survive by limiting the power of the Rx, sending you to an optician to take the measurements, only providing reading lenses, teaching you how to take your own measurements, or they wing it.
  • There's nothing wrong with over-the-counter reading only lenses.  I have 6 pair that I keep all around the house, where I might need them.  They cost a few dollars each. 
  • If you wear a completely wrong Rx, it will never damage your eyes, only make you uncomfortable.
  • Expect to spend several weeks getting used to your first pair of bifocals.  It took me a month.  Like any tool, you have to learn how to use it.
  • Any new glasses may take a while to adjust to, even the same Rx, because there are always small variables that change.  The eyes are quite adaptable.  If a week or two goes by and you're still uncomfortable, it's time for a visit back to the optician.  They probably won't remake your glasses on the first visit unless they find a gross error.  After a couple of more weeks go by, something is wrong, and the optician or the provider needs to solve it.

32 minutes ago, James2020 said:

I'm a retired ophthalmologist (MD) who has worked with thousands of patients and many opticians (eyeglass people).  Just some pointers for consumers:......

Thanks for posting , are the Zenni etc glasses any better than the cheap reading glasses you buy off the rack at Walmart etc ?

Cheers

15 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Have you looked at the Zenni website?  Very good quality at lower price in frames that fit our oversized heads.  Many people have reported getting good service and glasses from them - I have ordered 4 times for myself and wife over the last decade and very happy with price/quality.  

http://www.zennioptical.com/

Wait, my head's not oversized... Hang on, maybe I'm confused. Which head?:shock1:

1 hour ago, oldcarguy said:

Thanks for posting , are the Zenni etc glasses any better than the cheap reading glasses you buy off the rack at Walmart etc ?

Don't know about Zenni - Cheap reading glasses are fine though as long as you can read ok with them in the store.  More expensive reading glasses should have a better frame and lenses, fit better, nicer color choices, etc., but your eyes won't know the difference.

2 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

Cheers

Zenni glasses scratch really easily, bought a pair, used them for 6 months, went back to my old glasses cos they were scuffed all over.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I have not been to a shop that does progressive lenses on their premises. They are sent off and usually take 4-7 days to complete. As stated earlier usually close to 5000 baht a lense. Frames are a personal choice. I prefer Rodenstock or similar titanium frames as they are strong, light and do not rust in the climate. Price usually 7 - 9000 baht for frames.

Guys,

This actually only is of use to those from the UK, but if any of you are returning soon for a visit or holiday and needing any type of glasses, the huge retail chain ASDA now has a full optical department including qualified ophthalmologists and all the latest equipment in their larger stores. Check online for the nearest.

I was very impressed. After paying nearly 20,000 (460 GBP) baht, a year ago, at Top Charoen in Thailand for a pair of varifocals/ progressive lenses, call them what you will; I was delighted with ASDA.

Two pairs (one free) of prescription varifocals, anti-scratch, tinted, anti-glare, thinned lenses for 120 GBP (5200 thb) and ready in 10 days!!

Outstanding value and good frames by the way with a wide selection on display. Great service and posted to your UK address or collect by yourself.

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

I would be skeptical about the quality of progressive lenses that cheap. You'll feel like you're inside a warped fishbowl.

Usually the progressive lenses I've bought were made in Bangkok. The one time I opted to have the lenses sent out from Germany they were crap. Returned them to Euro Optics and had them replaced with better quality locally made lenses.

Would you care to share where you had them ordered in Bangkok ?Thanks a lot.

7 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I buy mine on ground floor Tuk Com Pattaya Tai......39 Baht.

I bought 4 pairs when I was in Pattaya last- 100 baht each.

I guess some people really like spending money.

Of course if one needs a prescription rather than plain, one needs to look to a proper place. I got a pair made in one of those shops that are all over the place, but I could only use them for driving as their computer controlled setting was slightly off. Didn't cost too much though.

If you ask about types of progressive lenses, they will show you a chart demonstrating the qualities of each type. Essilor and Zeiss are the two premier brands and even they have different grades. The higher end lenses will typically be thinner and have clear vision over a greater area without you having to adjust your head.

How important that is, depends entirely upon you. I need glasses to pass my employment medical every year and buy one pair of top class lenses which I use for work. I have another pair of cheaper glasses for everyday use. There is a slight difference in vision quality but it doesn't bother me.

My work glasses were done in Manila with an eye exam by a ophthalmologist and cost around B20 000 including frame. My everyday glasses were done by Top Charon using the prescription from the Philippines, my own frames and cost B12 000.

OWNDAYS frames are slightly lower quality and the lenses around the lower to mid level of the Essilor range. They are however cheaper. Only you can decide how much your vision is worth. 

I am feeling quite smug now. About 25 years ago I had my eyes tested in the UK. They wanted to make me glasses for reading and driving, the prescription was +1 at that time. The girl who gave it to me told me that as both eyes were the same I should pop across to boots and buy their +1 cheap reading glasses. So I did.

As the years have passed I still buy "cheap-as-chips" plastic glasses, two pairs at a time, gradually moving up from +1.25 to +2.5.

The last two pair I bought from a street vendor in Minburi, 100 baht for the two pair. So far I'm still using the first pair a year later. Wear for driving and reading.

I am feeling quite smug now. About 25 years ago I had my eyes tested in the UK. They wanted to make me glasses for reading and driving, the prescription was +1 at that time. The girl who gave it to me told me that as both eyes were the same I should pop across to boots and buy their +1 cheap reading glasses. So I did.  

As the years have passed I still buy "cheap-as-chips" plastic glasses, two pairs at a time, gradually moving up from +1.25 to +2.5.

The last two pair I bought from a street vendor in Minburi, 100 baht for the two pair. So far I'm still using the first pair a year later. Wear for driving and reading.

You're fortunate that you have a simple prescription. But if you have no astigmatism and both of your eyes require the same correction that's just dumb luck, not something to gloat about.

I'll be in Hong Kong over Christmas, and looking around for bifocals.  I have the frame.

As I use my glasses outdoors, I like to have the self-tinting ones (actinic?)

Does anyone have the name of a reliable optician in HK and the sorts of prices I might expect?

I asked around in Chiang Mai, but the prices weren't much less than they cost in Australia.