South Korean man beaten by Pattaya songthaew operators

webfact

Man beaten by Pattaya songthaew operators

By The Nation

9f5664cacc5665be22992304f32773e0.jpeg

A South Korean man was seriously injured in a fist-fight with the staff of a public-transport provider in Pattaya early on Sunday.

Hyon Soo Bae, 53, was unable to move due to injuries to his right leg reportedly inflicted during a beating he received in an argument over seating on a songthaew, a converted pickup truck.

Pattaya police went to the scene after receiving a report on the attack at about 4am. The Korean man is now being treated in hospital. 

Hyon’s female friend said the quarrel started after the staff member hurled abuse at Hyon for refusing to move further inside the pickup.

She said Hyon could understand the Thai language but did not follow the instruction because, as a big person, it was difficult for him to move around inside the vehicle. He thought it would be better if he sat close to the exit.

“Initially, he fought with that staff member. But later on, more staff joined in and beat him up,” the friend said. 

Police said they would check CCTV footage and try to bring the culprits to justice.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30334146

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-18

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He is a guy working in public service and abuses the people he provides the service to.

I have seen this type of behaviour first hand with the baht bus drivers, shouting rudely at passengers in order to get them to shuffle forward, so that they can pack as many in as they can and get moving. I also want to sit near the back, as I am not travelling far and will be getting off soon.

A revoked licence  would be a good idea.

Edited by jacko45k

I wonder if it was where the bus starts to Jomtien there is always a problem there. Only a month ago I was trying to move up but this Russian woman wouldn't because she didn't understand or didn't want to. The driver asked a few times but every time he didn't see me the only 1 trying to make room. When he finally got 6 people on the seat he walked past and gave me the one of the filthiest dirty looks I have ever got in my life.I said I tried to move up 5 times and I was so angry with him but I know not to take it any further.It's one of the reasons I prefer to stand on the back to the side. So you don't have to get involved in seat politics. It always 6 people no matter what the size.But westerners are normally a bit bigger so it's ridiculous. And they don't mind having some people on the back as a bonus do they. They are the worst group of locals in pattaya I have no doubt on that.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just back from a fee days Singapore. Amazing how tourists getting treated there. Respectful, friendly, helpful and welcoming people from the moment you step on their soil. Thailand is getting more and more aggressive and rude. Only in rural areas can still find the good old ??. What a shame... MS>

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“Initially, he fought with that staff member. But later on, more staff joined in and beat him up,” the friend said. 

Ah yes, Thai cowardice at its best.......

They should write a book......'How to win friends and influence people - The Thai Way'....

Morons.....

Many years ago i was riding my motorbike down beach road with my friend as pillion. When a vehicle stopped in front with no indication, i went to overtake it only to be blocked by a baht bus. I waited for it to pass and the t##t in the passenger seat spat all over my friend and i!

I told my friend to get off and raced ahead and waited where the road has turned left to to South Pattaya road. When they arrived at the light, i returned the favour of the quaint Thai custom of spitting at people. 

Then very quickly disappeared! 

Edited by chrissables

2 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

sounds about right.  and now the cockroaches make a wai and all is forgiven.  happy ending for everybody except the guy who got beat up. 

Hmmm..........sounds a bit like the Roman Catholic Church - go to church on Sunday, pray for forgiveness and then your free to start all over again. :whistling:

So it's not just a Thai 'cultural' trait.

Edited by lvr181
Additional wording

57 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

The Thai way. I can't beat him myself so I'll get my friends.

Not exactly. When the other drivers saw a foreigner fighting a Thai, they got excited and joined in. 

When I saw in high school, I knew a few guys who enjoyed fighting and hurting people. But in Pattaya, I think so many aggressive Thai men enjoy hurting a farang. 

The real problem is that these guys won't be punished enough for "seriously " hurting this guy. All Thai men know that they can hurt farangs and get away with it. Until this changes, we aren't safe.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Beating the crap out of the very customers you need to generate an income is not a particularly wise move, which is I guess, why it happened in Thailand.

In 20 years police here will learn that amphetamines have been known to sometimes cause this kind of irrational behaviour in other parts of the world.

1 hour ago, moonseeker said:

Just back from a fee days Singapore. Amazing how tourists getting treated there. Respectful, friendly, helpful and welcoming people from the moment you step on their soil. Thailand is getting more and more aggressive and rude. Only in rural areas can still find the good old ??. What a shame... MS>

You need to see how Thai and Vietnamese and Filipina tourists are treated upon arrival at Changi Airport... [The Vietnamese government even publically complained about it a few years back]. It's not all unicorns and rainbows in Disneyland-with-the-Death-Penalty.