How long will the cold spell last ?

balo

Considering this topic is in the Pattaya forum, comments from posters from other parts of Thailand are irrelevant. For me in Pattaya, yes I agree for 1 day on Wednesday it was a bit cool at night but in the day lovely and warm. I still have fan on in the day and air con at night. Must have a lot of people aging prematurely that must be the reason.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/20/2017 at 8:43 PM, torrzent said:

how long is a piece of string?

Answer:  “A piece of string is twice as long as half its length”    :post-4641-1156694572:   Okay, I've use my allocation of brain cells for the day.

6 minutes ago, Beats56 said:

I like the cool weather but my water storage tank makes for one cold shower. Brrr

There is a cheap Solar panel available to heat your water, mine works just fine, cost me  15,000 baht a year ago,

29 minutes ago, lou62 said:

Well I've just been outside (Jomtien) and it's over now. Quite warm already and the winds dropped.

Yes.  Thank God ! Didn't settle half way around the planet to get cold feet. Now a balmy 24 ...

Perfect.

So I was wrong , it's back and it could continue until NYE. 

Todays weather forecast : 

Cool with scattered rain. Minimum temperature 18-19 °C. Maximum temperature 25-26 °C. Northeasterly winds 15-30 km/hr.

I believe it's a storm outside Vietnam causing all this. 

On 12/20/2017 at 10:28 PM, balo said:

This is just like 2011 again . Last year was not as cold , but my memory is not good at this time of the year.   :sad:

So to summarize my life tonight :  

No aircon , no fan, jacket on,  socks on, a hot cup of tea, a hot lady next door.

And playing Slade; Merry Xmas Everybody at full volume .   

Jeezus <deleted> is this .Paddington bear storytime for you ?

On 12/27/2017 at 1:11 PM, balo said:

So I was wrong , it's back and it could continue until NYE. 

Todays weather forecast : 

Cool with scattered rain. Minimum temperature 18-19 °C. Maximum temperature 25-26 °C. Northeasterly winds 15-30 km/hr.

I believe it's a storm outside Vietnam causing all this. 

Where do you get your temperature forcasts? Are you in Pattaya? On the Windows 10 app I see a max of 27C and a minimum of 23C predicted for today and 27/24 tomorrow. Currently, it's 26C at 82% humidity.

The weather this week is totally different to last week. Last week the humidity was very low, down to 30 - 40% with no rain. Now it's still cool and rainy with the humidity 70 - 80% and higher. This is damp-cool weather. It's not as nice, but I still love it.

Edited by tropo

12 hours ago, balo said:

I just can't remember anything like this in December since I arrived 7 years ago . And it's not just 2-3 days this time   .  

LOL> I can remember weeks of even cooler weather in Dec - Jan 2015. I even bought a bar heater on Lazada last year in case it returned. I can still get around comfortably on the motorcycle now in shorts. Back then I'd try to find some long pants to ride at night. I didn't need the heater as we had no cold weather last Dec 2015 - Jan 2016.

On 12/22/2017 at 3:47 PM, balo said:

I think last day  today under 20 C.

Expect nighttime temperatures over 20 celsius from tomorrow . 

I put a digital thermometer outside every night. The coolest the temperature has dropped so far on Pratumnak Hill (this year) was 18.8C last week. That was just before sunrise. So far, in over a decade, I have never seen the temperature go below 18C. That's a pleasant summer's night in most temperate climates around the world where most expats come from. The lowest my indoor temperatures have dropped so far is about 23.5C and I always have the windows wide open to let this wonderful cool air into the house.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous for expats in Pattaya to be complaining about low temperatures. I really look forward to a couple of weeks of these temperatures. Last year was very disappointing. This year we are doing ok and I hope we get some more. I can understand my wife who was born in a tropical climate complaining about temperatures in the house as low as 23C, but even she doesn't complain nearly as much as many expats on here.

5 hours ago, tropo said:

I can understand my wife who was born in a tropical climate complaining about temperatures in the house as low as 23C, but even she doesn't complain nearly as much as many expats on here.

Nobodies complaining , we all want some chilly weather , but I did wear a jacket and socks , and long pants last week .  

And when you live in a tropical climate all year , most of us adapt to the climate just like Thais.  

1 minute ago, balo said:

Nobodies complaining , we all want some chilly weather , but I did wear a jacket and socks , and long pants last week .  

And when you live in a tropical climate all year , most of us adapt to the climate just like Thais.  

I don't know. I've been living in Pattaya full time for over a decade and I still don't need to dress up for the current cooler temps. The ONLY change I made was riding my bike with a jacket at night on different occasions, but still wearing shorts. I still get by comfortably in shorts, tank top and bare feet in the house, which always stayed above 23C, but mostly in the 24 - 26C region throughout this "cold spell". Right now, as I type this it's 25.4C with the window open and a breeze, and I'm wearing a tank top and shorts. My back home temperatures in Australia were sub-tropical in Queensland, so I didn't come from a cold climate.

Maybe the temperature is a few degrees cooler inland, on the dark side? Is that were you are?

I hope we get several more weeks of this wonderful, cooler weather.

5 hours ago, tropo said:

Where do you get your temperature forcasts? Are you in Pattaya?

I get my weather forecast from the Thai Meteorological Department . It's usually more precise than BBC . They do a translation to English posted several times per day  . 

https://www.tmd.go.th/en/