Alcohol promotion crackdown to hit Phuket

webfact

Alcohol promotion crackdown to hit Phuket

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1513759129_1-org.jpg

Tourists throng on Bangla Rd, Patong, where alcohol promotion has long been a part of the attraction. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET: The Phuket Provincial Health Office (PPHO) has warned that stricter enforcement of the provisions regulating the promotion of alcohol will hit the island next week, ahead of the New Year celebrations.

The crackdown will specifically target beer gardens, restaurants and other public venues, confirmed Dr Prapa Nakara, who as Director of the PPHO’s Non-communicable Diseases division directly heads the enforcement of alcohol-related regulations on the island.

“We will announce the provisions regarding the promotion of alcohol in a campaign from Dec 24-29,” Dr Prapa told The Phuket News today (Dec 20).

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/alcohol-promotion-crackdown-to-hit-phuket-65208.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-12-20

1 minute ago, InMyShadow said:
4 minutes ago, madmitch said:
How about getting rid of the touts advertising ping pong shows instead? 

At least alcohol is legal..............for the time being, anyway!

Lol are you drunk? How did you make that connection...

Quite easy. Among the targets are people promoting bars and drinks, commonplace on Bangla etc. 

But re-reading the article, perhaps I am one step removed!!

3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

absolute load of dickheads, i think by now adult people know where to get a drink,  another nail in the tourism coffin. its just laughable

Errr- as people know where to get a drink how will it affect tourism? Just another bash comment but we thank you for your input from The Sewer.

Edited by Psimbo

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

If it is as successful as the crackdown on road accidents and death from said road accidents, I dare say if will be a giant FAIL.

About time for a crackdown on crackdowns- potential for another hub?

35 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Errr- as people know where to get a drink how will it affect tourism? Just another bash comment but we thank you for your input from The Sewer.

I think what he is saying is that the ex-pats and locals know where to get a drink if they need to. All these anti-drinking drives are really doing is restricting the paying tourists from enjoying themselves. There are few things that upset people, the vast majority of which have saved up for their kickback holiday than to be told they can't do what they want to do.

My reading of what he was trying to say, other's opinions may vary..................:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

As usual....an attempt to target the wrong group......most tourists don't have cars!

They just have to be seen doing something.....

They could enforce existing laws - could that work?

6 minutes ago, connda said:

Dear High Season Farang Tourists.

Go to Mexico. 

Oh,

I was scared that you might mention my little spot of paradise there for a while.

Phew, I got away with that one!

MEXICO !! LOL

PUERTO RICO or ....

As someone has mentioned the amount of touts for ping pong shows are the ones who need sorting out, you can not move for the buggers especially 200 Pee rd end of bangla, a walking street you can hardly walk up sometimes 555

"The Drug Squad" "Traffic Police" "Firearms Police" "Organised Crime Division" etc etc

You think these different divisions 'promote' the 'name' of their operation?  Hence "The Fun Police"

i.e.  "The Drug Squad' is out to stop drugs.  "Organised Crime Division" aims to stop organised crime.  Therefore "The Fun Police" aims to stop the prospect of 'fun'. And in George Orwell's 1984, the "Thought Police" a group of people who aim or are seen as aiming to suppress ideas that deviate from the way of thinking that they believe to be correct.

Clear now?

7 hours ago, madmitch said:

How about getting rid of the touts advertising ping pong shows instead? 

At least alcohol is legal..............for the time being, anyway!

Say what??

Isnt ping pong an Olympic sport an all?

I reckon more tournaments should be held to entertain the masses, and encourage a healthy sporting lifestyle ?

14 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

As usual....an attempt to target the wrong group......most tourists don't have cars!

Agreed, they have duel pricing they should print duel statistics...
one set for farangs killed/injured

another for Thais killed or injured..

The government might just see where the problem actually lays!