A Pattaya hotel cashier nabbed for stealing a guest’s debit card

webfact

A Pattaya hotel cashier nabbed for stealing a guest’s debit card

By Thai PBS

theft2.jpg

A Pattaya hotel cashier was arrested by police at her apartment room in Pattaya on theft charges after she allegedly stole a hotel guest’s debit card and spent almost 500,000 baht in shopping spree.

Police found a Honda car, a motorcycle, gold ornaments and a contract to buy land in her apartment room and in the apartment.

The arrest of the suspect, Ms Sukanya Deecharoen, 36, a native of Nong Khai, followed a complaint filed with Pattaya police on Dec 17 by Mrs Jidapa Thongchan, 47, and her Caucasian husband that their debit card and bank passbook went missing from their hotel room.  They found out later on that their bank account was 478,959 baht short.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pattaya-hotel-cashier-nabbed-stealing-guests-debit-car/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-12-22
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Isn't it crazy that all a debit card purchase needs is ANY signature, no PIN, no ID, nothing. I shop at Big C as M Mouse with my Bangkok Bank card.

Crazy is correct, i use my debit card (Krung Thai) at local big C.

Many times they dont even ask for my signature.

14 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

PIN number not required for Thai debit card then ????

Not all purchases, I have gotten money from a Bank using my Debit card and was not asked for a PIN, but if I tried to use it in an ATM I am asked for a PIN.  Seems on-line purchases don't require use of a PIN.   Bad thing about Debit cards are unless you have put a limit on them, there is no limit.  I bought a kilo of Gold a few months ago in Cambodia using my debit card, only had to sign the slips, not punch in any PIN, sold the gold in Vietnam at a profit.  Of course I checked the bank immediately end of that day to ensure my card wasn't cloned.   You can also suspend your debit cards while travelling overseas, just call your bank.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Not all purchases, I have gotten money from a Bank using my Debit card and was not asked for a PIN, but if I tried to use it in an ATM I am asked for a PIN.  Seems on-line purchases don't require use of a PIN.   Bad thing about Debit cards are unless you have put a limit on them, there is no limit.  I bought a kilo of Gold a few months ago in Cambodia using my debit card, only had to sign the slips, not punch in any PIN, sold the gold in Vietnam at a profit.  Of course I checked the bank immediately end of that day to ensure my card wasn't cloned.   You can also suspend your debit cards while travelling overseas, just call your bank.

Good points

seems online is well open to abuse, frightening.

5 hours ago, markaoffy said:

If it’s a Thai bank debit card they have lost their money! No protection from illegal use and I’m sure the offender won’t have money to repay the 478k! Never keep too much cash available in a debit card account,and fortunately the cards don’t allow overdrafts!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

That's not true, Thai banks will indemnify victims of stolen cards after investigations.

1 hour ago, cookieqw said:

Good points

seems online is well open to abuse, frightening.

Quite true, debit cards don't have the same protections built in as credit cards, you have to make these restrictions when they are issued, or they are wide open.

Debit Cards + Pattaya = Danger

That is why i have 2 cards ,from different bank accounts numbers.... 1 with big load who stays inside safe , never comes out ,not connected by mobile banking .... and the second card always with me , and limited feeding by the biggy one only on online banking PC not by mobile ,  for my needs , so i can be frauded only limited .....

Until i get a card with pin on KK bank

Edited by david555

I use a prepaid MasterCard for travelling with - top it up from my UK bank account, so IF it was compromised, I'd only lose what is actually on the card at that time.

Have use it for internal flights and hotels in Thailand.

38 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Debit card would not work here. No security features and money from your bank is gone after its stolen. At least credit card is safer. 

If you mean overseas Debit Cards don't work in Thailand, they do...mine have the same security features as my Credit Card but of course if someone accepts it without a PIN or signature that goes to hell! And, if using it online, as @TunnelRat69 said "debit cards don't have the same protections built in as credit cards,......"  "Debit Cards + Pattaya = Danger" 

I agree on the safety aspect, which I why I posted #26 and only top up what i need. I see it as maximum convenience but with less risk. YMMV

4 minutes ago, Brigante7 said:

It's not defamation if it is the truth. 

Brigante7.

I agree, but unfortunately....... TiT!  And sadly, TV could be in a world of trouble      :sad:

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1