Are older tyres ok?

Kenny202

Have a set of original Asian Tyres on my CBR250. About 5 years old. Bike has very low k's so tyre tread etc still good and no cracks. At this age should I be replacing them anyway or are they ok?

By the way. What happens when you get a flat at high speed, particularly the front wheel? Is it loss of control and certain death or?

I had michelins on my BMW in Australia and they seemed to still have enough structure in the to ride safely even when flat.

There's no set limit, it depends on storage conditions, type of tyre etc. but if they look OK and feel OK then they're probably OK.

I kept a pair on my seldom ridden Ninja for about 7 years and it was very obvious when they were done. You could easily see the cracks, the rear locked up with a sniff of rear brake, they felt hard to the touch (and while riding) and the bike would get head shake at about 60 kph. 

Having said that, if you're not sure it's obviously better to replace.

12 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

How much approx for a set?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'd also consider the top model IRC. Don't confuse them with the junk IRC's that go on new bikes, I binned those after a few rides. The top of the line model is soft and sticky, and excellent value (less than 5000 Baht for 2 tyres for my Ninja) . I think the model is IZ-S99. 

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Have a set of original Asian Tyres on my CBR250. About 5 years old

Unless I knew how old and how they have been stored couldn't comment.

Assuming there's no cracks within the treads and sidewalls also they have kept their pressure to some extent maybe good to go.  

What happens when you get a flat at high speed, particularly the front wheel? Is it loss of control and certain death or?

" loss of control and certain death"  I would say either depends on circumstances whether a complete blow out or just going flat while riding.

Only happen to me once in a front it went flat on me going straight at high speed felt it straight away and stopped braking gently, never had a blow out and don't know anyone who has.

I had michelins on my BMW in Australia and they seemed to still have enough structure in the to ride safely even when flat.

If your unsure or bother with your tyres change for some Mich'es.

If I want a particular brand of tyre I would not care about cost.

Hey Kenny

Your questions are on point, as the tires are the most crusial part of any motorbike,

(your grip to the road) along with your brakes (ability to break effectively).

Take the CBR on a drive somewhere safe and try some extreme braking front and back.

If you are content with bike s behaviour, you can keep the tires.Monitor (by test) how

your suspention behaves under extreme breaking,and anyway,try to master breaking,

like Valentino does.

My only experience is flat front tyre while cruising at 140 km/h on a 990 adventure.

It broke gradualy -it didn t explode-  I was able to slow down and stop. Most bikes behave

like this on a front flat tire.(experienced rider)

Rubber tires are losing their moisture (become more rock like) through time,and

they start to become square.You should replace, for maximum safety, as soon as you

notice this effect.

Be well, ride safe.

On 12/23/2017 at 2:14 AM, Moo du said:

Hey Kenny

Your questions are on point, as the tires are the most crusial part of any motorbike,

(your grip to the road) along with your brakes (ability to break effectively).

Take the CBR on a drive somewhere safe and try some extreme braking front and back.

If you are content with bike s behaviour, you can keep the tires.Monitor (by test) how

your suspention behaves under extreme breaking,and anyway,try to master breaking,

like Valentino does.

My only experience is flat front tyre while cruising at 140 km/h on a 990 adventure.

It broke gradualy -it didn t explode-  I was able to slow down and stop. Most bikes behave

like this on a front flat tire.(experienced rider)

Rubber tires are losing their moisture (become more rock like) through time,and

they start to become square.You should replace, for maximum safety, as soon as you

notice this effect.

Be well, ride safe.

... and the twist of the wrist as well... spot on.