Thailand Post admits theft of mail containing THB150,000 bracelet by outsourced worker

webfact

Thailand Post admits theft of mail containing THB150,000 bracelet by outsourced worker

By Coconuts Bangkok 

br.jpg

Photo: Sanook

Thailand Post admitted yesterday that a worker used to transport their mail stole a parcel containing a THB150,000 (US$4,600) diamond bracelet.

Thailand Post, the organization known for folding, breaking, throwingand totally losing mail, filed a police complaint against the bracelet thief yesterday, who they say is a worker for a private company they use to transport mail. However, that person has not been identified, Workpoint reported.

It all started when Kornwiwat Sotethipankul, a 26-year-old jewelry designer and business owner, sought help from the police on Wednesday after the bracelet he sent to a client in Chantaburi was lost in the mail.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thailand-post-worker-admits-theft-mail-containing-thb150000-diamond-bracelet/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-12-22

Sender took out insurance that covered only for 50,000 baht when the contents were worth 150,000.  So rather than risking 100,000 baht surely it'd make sense to drive/fly it there yourself, or if you don't have time, get a family member or close friend to take it there for you.  150,000 baht in a parcel is taking a very big risk.

15 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

never had any issues with EMS here, they use the tracking numbers. Always been delivered on time and you can track it online. 

Yep, and now you can track mail sent abroad for about 90 Baht.

Looks like the tracking worked well in the above case too. Instead of packages disappearing into a black hole, now they can tell on which part of the journey it went astray.

Recently sent 4 sets of documents through EMS to a bank in UAE. 3 arrived at destination and one missing in action. Obviously sending through registered post is neither convenient or secure. Your private and personal sensitive information containing passport copies and signature end up floating somewhere in the postal system. Banks have for sure have very secure online systems with security devices and OTP linked to your own phone. However they do not accept this method of verification and insist on "through the courier" system. Try to tell the Banks their policies are completely stupid and it's like talking to a brick wall.

den

Edited by denby45

26 minutes ago, denby45 said:

Recently sent 4 sets of documents through EMS to a bank in UAE. 3 arrived at destination and one missing in action. Obviously sending through registered post is neither convenient or secure. Your private and personal sensitive information containing passport copies and signature end up floating somewhere in the postal system. Banks have for sure have very secure online systems with security devices and OTP linked to your own phone. However they do not accept this method of verification and insist on "through the courier" system. Try to tell the Banks their policies are completely stupid and it's like talking to a brick wall.

den

Agreed. have had 2 identical sets of papers going to the same IOM address lost in the last 4 months - due however to Royal Mail in the UK. One posted in the UK sent signed for and no idea where it is and one from here in Thailand sent registered and apparently ended up at Chelmsford sorting office after leaving Heathrow to go the IOM..............still there since the end of August.......... 

Five years ago Thailand Post "lost" a registered mail sent to me from the UK containing a debit card. On the complaint form it asked the value of the missing item and I foolishly wrote "0." When I got the final report, it said, "Item went missing between A and B. Customer did not ask for compensation." I went and complained verbally at Rong Muang, where the parcel was obviously stolen, but their attitude was, "It didn't arrive at site B. We don't know why. Case closed." :annoyed:

21 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Sender took out insurance that covered only for 50,000 baht when the contents were worth 150,000.  So rather than risking 100,000 baht surely it'd make sense to drive/fly it there yourself, or if you don't have time, get a family member or close friend to take it there for you.  150,000 baht in a parcel is taking a very big risk.

Declare the value.

Flag it for #1 five finger discount shopping.

In Oz, the post office staff have to physically sight the product that you send before the insurance cover is accepted.

Could have been an empty box for all everyone else knows.

But a nice target anyway.

* I know Pattaya has a different post code for the post office and for actual deliveries. 

If you put the wrong one...

Response is..

Sorry cannot deliver. 

NOT know where go.... sorry.

18 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

never had any issues with EMS here, they use the tracking numbers. Always been delivered on time and you can track it online. 

I sent a package to my wife/myself from Canada a few weeks ago, using Canada Post express courier/EMS, tracking worked very well, until it left Bangkok.  Then it vanished off the EMS radar...30000+ baht of xmas stuff is now under someone else's mango tree....

...a shame spending $400+ cdn  to get the package here within 7 days and insure it.  Luckily I took photos of the contents, and the exterior package documentation.  The last time I sent a package of any value to the wife/me from Canada, the package disappeared until the wife had some "friends track it down".  It was found at a customs building in Mukdahan (who knows why?) ...what was left in the package, apparently required a 50K baht "duty" to be paid to the friendly folks at customs.  I told the wife the contents was only worth $300....let them have it.

Edited by CanuckThai
additional info

21 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I would not send an item of such nature and value by post,  even with a western postal service in Europe.....

Not even with a registered and insured mail service?

both Aus and US carriers pay out up to 5000 bucks, if correctly insured (cost of insurance is between 1 and 2% of value)

30,000 baht... say 1000 dollars... costs about 10 dollars, on top of the registered mail fee. 

Edited by farcanell

Once we had a customer in Pristina, Kosovo. Thailand Post doesn't know the country nor will accept the parcel.

The same until a few months ago for Montenegro. 

Thailand Post answered: "We regret like to inform you that the postal service depends on airlines, partners, the postal agreement between countries and other factors.

3 hours ago, denby45 said:

den

OR...a buffalo.   

Mail for me ends up at random buildings and offices somewhere within a five minute radius of me.

However, never at my actual address.

Often the mail man is to lazy to deliver it so leaves it where ever he feels like it. Often near lunch time.

1 hour ago, PAIBKK said:

Once we had a customer in Pristina, Kosovo. Thailand Post doesn't know the country nor will accept the parcel.

Lots of countries don't recognise Kosovo as an independent country.  Maybe if you'd tried sending it to Serbia it might have got there, or it might not have.

In the past 2.5 years, to my certain knowledge I've had 2 letters and 3 greetings cards posted to me from England. None of them arrived. I had one small parcel sent recorded delivery which did finally arrive though I had to visit my local post office and ask them to carry out a search