Starbucks opens its biggest Thai store

Indeed. I always thought that the aim of those who serve food etc is to get people in and out as quickly as possible. More bums on seats = more profit. But Starbucks 'bucks' (sorry) that completely. They encourage people to lounge there all day. I don't understand that.

It's one of the reasons for their success. Unhurried coffee sipping and a relaxed environment that's great for teaching private students.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

We checked out the place today, staying in BKK over the Christmas. Nothing wrong with the coffee, good strong taste, the way I like it. I think they use different espresso machines here, so better than my local Starbucks in Pattaya.  But it can get crowded , location is opposite Siam BTS. Yes overpriced coffee, but nothing wrong with it.

Edited by balo

Before Howard Schultz and Starbucks, Americans were happy with a thick, black cup of sludge that had sat on a heating unit all day until finished. Schultz returned from Italy believing that he could recreate the finely crafted Italian coffee experience where care was used in the selection and roasting of beans and the crafting of a fine cup of coffee. He expanded the variety of beans to a worldwide selection of sourced coffees, created and replicated fine establishments and hired and trained caring, confident baristas while giving them decent pay and benefits. His company exploded with success and is now worldwide. So as you, as a coffee snob, enjoy what is so much more than a cup of joe and look down on Starbucks, pause for a minute to give thanks to Mr Schultz for starting the entire craze. And if you are an investor, thank him twice.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

18 hours ago, balo said:

We checked out the place today, staying in BKK over the Christmas. Nothing wrong with the coffee, good strong taste, the way I like it. I think they use different espresso machines here, so better than my local Starbucks in Pattaya.  But it can get crowded , location is opposite Siam BTS. Yes overpriced coffee, but nothing wrong with it.

Some people are easily pleased:giggle:

http://worldofcaffeine.com/2011/03/09/burned-beans-the-shame-of-starbucks/

Coffee and beautiful women in and out. A newspaper to read and air condition and nice seating arrangements and pretty good coffee. Can’t understand why people hate it. Maybe it is because they charge a few extra baht for all the amenities which are appreciated by me and millions of others. 

21 hours ago, balo said:

If you think their coffee is good, we can safely disregard your opinion on anything else.... :smile:

I quit going to Starbucks a decade ago, but the fact that they have stores in very good locations, means that there are times when you are willing to give it another go. I had such an experience a couple of months ago. The people I was with chose the Starbucks as a meeting point after a day of shopping, because we all knew where it was. Being the first there, I decided to give it another go, despite it being triple the cost of easy to find coffee elsewhere.

What I got was one of the worst coffees of my life. It had all the flavor of an ice coffee after someone drank it all and then the ice cubes melted and then you drank what was left. I am sure it had to be some kind of mistake behind the counter, but what are the odds of having such a mistake in the one cup of Starbucks you have had in years.

They are firmly back in the joke column for me.

3 hours ago, ricklev said:

Comfortable chairs.  Good music.  Newspapers.  AC that works.

And coffee.  What's not to like?

But the first four things you mentioned is what attracts people and the coffee is just incidental clever marketing indeed but I'd rather have a good quality cup of coffee even if I have to sit on the floor out in the open without music or newspapers

4 hours ago, speedtripler said:

If you think their coffee is good

Nonsense comment , I rarely drink at Starbucks , I prefer other local 60 baht coffee shops. But once in a while when I'm in the area and need to relax I visit Starbucks. Nothing wrong with ther ordinary black coffee, can be a bit weak sometines , then you just ask for double shot.

I own an espresso machine at home so I know my coffee , despite what you might think . 

I went to Starbucks at Avenue, Pattaya last week and had an Americano and a brownie. The brownie was delicious, the coffee so-so and both pricey. A rather delectable (not so) young lady looked if she was waiting for someone to offer her a large hot one ..... coffee that is.

36 minutes ago, midas said:

But the first four things you mentioned is what attracts people and the coffee is just incidental clever marketing indeed but I'd rather have a good quality cup of coffee even if I have to sit on the floor out in the open without music or newspapers

I don't drink much coffee and don't know a lot about it, but the few I've had there are ok for me and seem the same for friends. 

The food is so-so, but the overall experience is good IMO and I think that's prob their target market. even though I have heard folks say that they go there for the coffee cos it is good!!

Poss not the place for coffee experts, and I go for the location, good staff, aircon, nice tea, comfortable chairs and to watch the world (and pretty girls) go by..........and it's a good meeting place. 

I really couldn't ask for more!

5 hours ago, speedtripler said:

Someone hasn't bought teabags in England for a long long time :smile:

True!! I do buy the extra strong ones from Tesco here, though!

What I meant was that paying 105 baht for the tea PLUS all the extras I mentioned in a previous post, represent good value to me.

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

True!! I do buy the extra strong ones from Tesco here, though!

What I meant was that paying 105 baht for the tea PLUS all the extras I mentioned in a previous post, represent good value to me.

This is the best UK style  tea I can find in Thailand, its about triple the strength of lipton or the other brands that come on a silly string

20171226_093627.jpg

1 hour ago, speedtripler said:

This is the best UK style  tea I can find in Thailand, its about triple the strength of lipton or the other brands that come on a silly string

20171226_093627.jpg

That's the one I use, along with the extra strong Assam tea at times!!

On 12/23/2017 at 9:37 AM, impulse said:

But the office machine doesn't give me a place to plop my weary butt and watch the cuties drifting by- in locations that seem carefully selected to maximize the living scenery.  That alone justifies the high price of a Starbucks cuppa.  I'm paying to rent the seat- and they throw in a cuppa for free.

Good point. And just the Pattaya Circus in general, easily viewed from the Starbucks at the corner of Beach Rd. and Soi Yamato.

2 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Good point. And just the Pattaya Circus in general, easily viewed from the Starbucks at the corner of Beach Rd. and Soi Yamato.

New Starbucks in Pattaya has just opened outside Central Festival (formerly Zico Brazilian restsurant) c/w rooftop terrace affording panoramic views of the  ... er .... scenery.