Best music is from last century?

thaibeachlovers

On 12/27/2017 at 1:42 AM, GreasyFingers said:

I do not listen to anything produced after 1978.

Shame, you missed bohemian rhapsody by 3 years ....

Edited by Kevbo
Sorry misread it,

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rap, techno, house, hip-hop and rave etc "music" started in the 90s along with the the start of POP nonsense of Girl and Boy bands in the 80s.

Of course we had some wonderful movie soundtracks too, and that continues to a big degree.

There was some fantastic music written in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries also don't forget or neglect.

Some things I like but not much of 21st century tunes are actually musical, just "formula" and there's been many beautiful songs ruined by over dubbing a rap track. The "DJ" mixing culture has taken the music out of music these days.

Owl City's Fireflies is excellent but pure pop and mostly synthesized.

I love things from the 40s - 70s and quite a lot of early 80s too and have a wide appreciation of different types, but not much Country or Folk as I'm really a rock and roll fan 1st and foremost.

Good topic.

:thumbsup:

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the Eagles. Hotel California must be the most played song in Thailand.

David Byrne/Brian Eno, Talking Heads.

Check out Alabama 3 (known as A3 in the USA). If you saw the tv series The Sopranos you have heard one of their tracks as the title music - Woke Up This Morning (got myself a gun).

Hits and Exit wounds is a compilation album. Worth a listen and some very diverse tracks from techno/rap/country, something for everyone!

[The Sopranos] Alabama 3 - Woke Up This Morning - lyrics.mp4

Edited by tryasimight

9 hours ago, bannork said:

How can you refuse to listen to The Dead? They wrote so many songs that make you feel glad to be alive.

Never got their music. I went to a few concerts when they headlined with Jefferson Airplane. After the Airplane was finished I'd wait for the Dead, but once they started playing I would inevitably walk out. :sad:

Luckily tickets weren't so expensive back then.

Define "best music"? It is purely subjective.

To me 'best music' is what you enjoy regardless of when it was composed/recorded. I can enjoy Ride (flight) of the Valkyries by Wagner or The Blue Danube by Strauss or Also sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss. Through to music of the late 50's, Rock Around the Clock (ushered in a whole new era), 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and into the 21st century, pop, rock, country rock, rap and techno etc., plus most of what  'thaibeachlovers' mentioned. Yes, I have an eclectic taste in music.

Each to their own.

Edited by lvr181
Comment Variation

7 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Rap, techno, house, hip-hop and rave etc "music"

Thanks for the "...."

Or you could simply use the word noise, with no need for "..."

Edited by Brunolem
Spelling

12 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Why don't you check the title of this thread?

I tend to make a difference between music and singing.

In music, singing plays its part, like an instrument among others.

In other words, it is not front and center, while the musicians are relagated in the background and no one cares.

Who are the musicians playing with Adele? Are they always the same? Do fans of Adele know them?

When it comes to music, things are different.

Only rarely (Freddy Mercury from Queen) does the singer play an overwhelming role.

Even a charismatic singer like Peter Gabriel was easily replaced by Phil Collins, the drummer, so that Genesis could go on.

The Beatles were taking their turn to sing, and so were the members of Pink Floyd.

Now, in the case of Adele, what would be left if she was leaving the stage? Who in the accompanying band would take over? Could the band keep on playing without a singer, just the music?

Pink Floyd certainly could do without a frontman, and so did ELP, Genesis and many others, whose creations were not focused on the singing part.

Edited by Brunolem
Spelling

16 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Only rarely (Freddy Mercury from Queen) does the singer play an overwhelming role.

Don't agree with that at all - at least in the big leagues.  Usually the singer defines the band. The other musicians can often be replaced without too much of a problem if the songs are good, but if the singer quits, that is usually the end.

6 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

Don't agree with that at all - at least in the big leagues.  Usually the singer defines the band. The other musicians can often be replaced without too much of a problem if the songs are good, but if the singer quits, that is usually the end.

AC/DC carried on after losing 2 lead singers but the band weren't just session musos as is the case with many solo artists.

Edited by giddyup

20 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

Could you provide a few examples?

Giddyup above, and myself, provided many examples of major bands who were not defined by their lead singer.

There are indeed some cases in which the lead singer plays a major role, more by happenstance than by choice: Mick Jagger is obviously one of them, as well as Steven Tyler or Robert Plant, who have an overwhelming presence on stage and also greatly contribute to the musical creation.

Yet,  even such cases can't be compared to the one of Adele, or George Michael, for example.

In the latter case, fans come only for the singer, they don't even know who else will be on stage, and they don't care...whereas in the case of the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith or Led Zeppelin, fans do not come only for the singer...they will certainly not be pleased if they are told that Keith Richards or Jimmy Page have been replaced by session musicians...

13 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Could you provide a few examples?

How about a music article which states the obvious and gives a few examples - like you - of cases where is wasn't true.

6 Famous Rock Bands Who Have Changed Lead Singers

Whether you want to admit it or not, most bands are usually defined by their lead singers.

Read more at http://www.craveonline.com/music/1024187-6-famous-rock-bands-changed-singers#32E9aqFxVoDLvXBS.99

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

I tend to make a difference between music and singing.

In music, singing plays its part, like an instrument among others.

In other words, it is not front and center, while the musicians are relagated in the background and no one cares.

Who are the musicians playing with Adele? Are they always the same? Do fans of Adele know them?

When it comes to music, things are different.

Even a charismatic singer like Peter Gabriel was easily replaced by Phil Collins, the drummer, so that Genesis could go on.

The Beatles were taking their turn to sing, and so were the members of Pink Floyd.

Now, in the case of Adele, what would be left if she was leaving the stage? Who in the accompanying band would take over? Could the band keep on playing without a singer, just the music?

Pink Floyd certainly could do without a frontman, and so did ELP, Genesis and many others, whose creations were not focused on the singing part.

That's the worst excuse I've ever heard!

Singing IS music.

Is A cappella not music?

2 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Whether you want to admit it or not, most bands are usually defined by their lead singer

I am certainly not ready to admit something that is not true!

As a matter of fact, many bands didn't even bother to have a lead singer, starting with no less than the Beatles !

But that was also true for Pink Floyd, Ten Years After, Emerson Lake and Palmer, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble, Johnny Winter And, Blue Oyster Cult, the Allman Brothers Band and many Southern Rock bands...and the list could go on and on.

I would rather say that bands dominated by their lead singers were the exception...Mick Jagger for the Rolling Stones, Steven Tyler for Aerosmith, Roger Daltrey for the Who, Jon Bon Jovi and certainly Freddie Mercury for Queen...

I don't need to go searching for articles, I know my classics very well, having invested so much time in rock in my youth, and I haven't forgotten anything, even the more obscure bands, such as Redbone, Starcastle, Wishbone Ash, Manfred Mann Earth Band, Caravan...they are still all there in my mind...

Edited by Brunolem
Spelling

2 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

That's the worst excuse I've ever heard!

Singing IS music.

Is A cappella not music?

Please read again my previous post.

First, I was not looking for an excuse...an excuse for what?

Then, I readily admit that singing is music, but that, according to my perception, I'd rather have singing as a minor part of music, rather than having it as the main part, or the only part in the case of A cappella, of which I am not a fan, I must say.

When it's all said and done, I'd rather listen to long instrumental pieces, such as those produced by Mike Oldfield, Pink Floyd or Genesis, for example, rather than to someone singing constantly and smothering the instruments playing in the background.

8 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Please read again my previous post.

First, I was not looking for an excuse...an excuse for what?

Then, I readily admit that singing is music, but that, according to my perception, I'd rather have singing as a minor part of music, rather than having it as the main part, or the only part in the case of A cappella, of which I am not a fan, I must say.

When it's all said and done, I'd rather listen to long instrumental pieces, such as those produced by Mike Oldfield, Pink Floyd or Genesis, for example, rather than to someone singing constantly and smothering the instruments playing in the background.

I like Elvis though, and Roy Orbison's stuff....Music comes in many forms and to me the human vocals where exceptional really hit the spot for me...Of course I like Floyd etc for their excellence in sound...:stoner:

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Gad, I missed Abba. I don't know how I did that. Always loved them.

I only included groups/ musicians that still get air time, and Grateful Dead, Zappa, Jimmy Cliff don't get played on golden oldies channels.

In the end, it's always going to be subjective, but I had to restrict it too those I considered REALLY big, and universally loved. That cuts out a lot of groups that had a loyal, but niche market. Punk was indeed a world changing music style, but IMO not universally loved nor the "best".

Love will tear us apart? Shot from both sides? White Riot. London calling etc