Expat opening a bank account in Thailand

I'm a US citizen here in Bangkok on a 90 non-immigrant (tourist) Visa. I have just rented a condo (about to sign 12 month contract on Jan 3, 2018) and want to open a bank account to facilitate my monthly rental payments + True WiFi/TV/Mobile. Found there are a few hoops to jump through.

• Kasikorn Bank says they won't allow a foreigner to open an account unless they have a passport + work permit (no exceptions to work permit requirement)
  • UOB (United Overseas Bank) says they will allow me to open an account with passport + formal rental contract (12 month min)
  • Bangkok Bank says they will require passport + letter from US Embassy in BKK stating that I am allowed to open an account here.

So it's either UOB of Bangkok Bank. I am inclined to go with Bangkok Bank but US Embassy won't give me an appointment until Jan 3 to get the requisite letter. Hoping that won't be an issue (i.e. getting the letter). I'll have to find a way to wire funds directly to landlord for 1st month rent + deposit as my Thai bank account may not be set up in time.

Any recommendations as to which bank to go with?

41 minutes ago, idannyb said:

So it's either UOB of Bangkok Bank. I am inclined to go with Bangkok Bank but US Embassy won't give me an appointment until Jan 3 to get the requisite letter. Hoping that won't be an issue (i.e. getting the letter). I'll have to find a way to wire funds directly to landlord for 1st month rent + deposit as my Thai bank account may not be set up in time.

Any recommendations as to which bank to go with?

My preference would be Bangkok Bank. But there's nothing stopping you opening both.

• Like 1

IMO, Bangkok Bank edges out in front a bit as it has a (commercial) branch in New York City, so transferring funds from a US Bank to Bangkok Bank is a domestic transfer.  Once you get it set up, it's a simple DIY ACH transfer on-line.

Unfortunately for them, Bangkok Bank here has changed their ATM/Debit cards from Visa to Union Pay.  Consistent reports of not being accepted for POS transactions at many shops in Thailand, can't remember what people said about using it on line.  But if you just use it as a local ATM card, that shouldn't be a problem.  

As other said, keep hitting different branches until you find one that works, or you jump through the hoops, whichever comes first.  Good luck. 

• Like 1

Hmmm. I have much recent experience with this.

There is no Embassy letter or cert. stating you are allowed to open an account.

You may want to verify they are possibly talking about a cert. of residency. 

Bangkok Bank by far is your best option but you may have been given bad info.

Normally they require the cert. of residency, and a retirement Visa or work permit.

A tourist Visa from my experience will get you nowhere.

If UOB will do it with what you say, I would rush and go get it tomorrow.

Lots of info in this forum about this topic, but most of it is outdated.  

Good luck let us know how it works out for you.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Hmmm. I have much recent experience with this.

There is no Embassy letter or cert. stating you are allowed to open an account.

You may want to verify they are possibly talking about a cert. of residency. 

Bangkok Bank by far is your best option but you may have been given bad info.

Normally they require the cert. of residency, and a retirement Visa or work permit.

A tourist Visa from my experience will get you nowhere.

If UOB will do it with what you say, I would rush and go get it tomorrow.

Lots of info in this forum about this topic, but most of it is outdated.  

Good luck let us know how it works out for you.

I opened an account with Bangkok Bank on a tourist visa a year ago after visiting 3 previous branches who requested a work permit. You can persevere by visiting more branches BUT i agree with bkk6060 and going by recent posts on TVF i believe its more difficult now if even possible.

I moved province recently and approached my local branch to open an account and transfer my funds from existing Bangkok Bank account, they said they would open me an account if i had a work permit !! , i left it as is.

They certainly don't make it easy for you !!

I would:

Try a few more branches and if all are no go hotfoot it back to UOB !

i'm a US citizen and opened accts with bangkok bank and krung thai bank while on a tourist visa.  this was feb 2016.  i recommend bangkok bank (i've closed the krung thai acct).  as other have noted, easy transfer process using their NYC branch.

to open the account (both banks), i had to get a letter from the US embassy.  my recollection was the letter stated my passport was real and i was in fact 'me'.  i also had to supply a copy of my rental contract along with an original cover letter from my landlord stating that the rental contract was real and i am living there. 

as i recall, bangkok bank gave me a form for the embassy to use but they refused to use it and used one of their own instead.  i went to bangkok bank's main branch on silom road.

edit:  i only use my account for thailand based ATMs so don't care about the visa/union pay problem.

Edited by buick
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I opened an account with Bangkok Bank on a tourist visa a year ago after visiting 3 previous branches who requested a work permit. You can persevere by visiting more branches BUT i agree with bkk6060 and going by recent posts on TVF i believe its more difficult now if even possible.

I moved province recently and approached my local branch to open an account and transfer my funds from existing Bangkok Bank account, they said they would open me an account if i had a work permit !! , i left it as is.

They certainly don't make it easy for you !!

I would:

Try a few more branches and if all are no go hotfoot it back to UOB !

I would say flat out.... You cannot open an account on just a Tourist Visa.

Again, there have been other threads on this and people that dispute it.

But, mostly they are 3 to 5 years ago opening an account.  I am talking about the now rules.

I went to probably 25 branches of different banks in BKK.

All said "new rules work permit/resident cert.".   Makes sense actually.

I finally went to Pattaya where a friend knew the manager and I opened and account on my retirement Visa. 

If one can (currently) walk into a bank anywhere in Thailand with a Tourist Visa and open an account, please us know who , where, and when.....  I would bet there is nothing.........

• Like 1

I've had a Kasikorn account for many years. Last May I took a friend there (in Pattaya) to open an account. He had a tourist visa and resident certificate from Jomtien immigration (obtained using his wife's ID and Tabien baan as proof of address). He even used his wife's phone number because he hadn't got a Thai sim. He had no problem at all.

Two months ago I opened a Krung Thai Bank account in Chonburi just taking my Pink ID Card for ID and, although I took my yellow Tabien Baan as proof of address they didn't need it as my address is on my ID Card. So the ID Card was all that was needed (and my phone number of course). They didn't want to see my retirement extension or anything else to prove I was in Thailand legit etc.

My daughter later said she had enquired at both Thanachart and Siam Commercial for me and, apparently, they both said ID Card was all that was needed.

9 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

That's nonsense. The correct and current information is always available on the banks websites;

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Accounts/SavingsAccounts/Pages/Default.aspx

For Thai Nationals

• Thai Citizen ID card or another photo ID card issued by the government

For Foreigners

1. Foreigner with a Work Permit

• Passport
  • Work Permit

2. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa

• Passport
  • A Letter of Reference issued by: (One of the following)
    • Embassy or international organization
    • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
    • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
    • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
    • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

In addition, other document that shows the name of the customer can be used as a supported document besides the documents mentioned above i.e. a document showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a condominium.

3. Foreigner with Permanent Residence in Thailand

• Passport or Certificate of Residence or Alien Certificate
  • House Registration

I (customer) introduced a friend who opened a Savings account at BKK only this morning on a TV.

No problem whatsoever.

They won't open a 'Current' account without a work permit or PR, but a Savings account can be opened even on a Visa exempt entry.

Wow great.

So, I am sure your friend can provide the location of that bank, the name of the bank and contact person who assisted him?

Thanks good to know.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Wow great.

So, I am sure your friend can provide the location of that bank, the name of the bank and contact person who assisted him?

Thanks good to know.

It helps if you do a little research first, using the banks websites to determine the types of accounts available depending on your Immigration status and documents required.

Typically in the west, we use a 'current', or 'personal' accounts for day to day banking and that is what many ask for when trying to open an account in Thailand. Usually you will then be asked if you have a work permit or PR status, because 'current' accounts in Thailand can usually only be opened by a Thai citizen, or a foreigner with a WP, or with PR status.

'Savings' accounts (with debit card) are usually offered to any foreigner, regardless of Immigration status, providing you can meet the conditions, which are Passport, proof of address and a reference.

Admitted, training is poor and you can be given incorrect information by the first assistant you speak to.

Do your research first, even print the conditions off if you need to and even ask for the manager.

i have only had experience with bkk bank.i find them very good..

try and get a local business person to go to bank with you..i went with an english realestate salesperson.

i only had tourist visa, but was buying condo..

it was all very simple and straight forward..

pattaya second rd opp. soi 6/1...

i find their sms service- excellent-- keeps track of  ALL  deposits and a/ps  and withdrawals....

14 hours ago, buick said:

i'm a US citizen and opened accts with bangkok bank and krung thai bank while on a tourist visa.  this was feb 2016.  i recommend bangkok bank (i've closed the krung thai acct).  as other have noted, easy transfer process using their NYC branch.

to open the account (both banks), i had to get a letter from the US embassy.  my recollection was the letter stated my passport was real and i was in fact 'me'.  i also had to supply a copy of my rental contract along with an original cover letter from my landlord stating that the rental contract was real and i am living there. 

as i recall, bangkok bank gave me a form for the embassy to use but they refused to use it and used one of their own instead.  i went to bangkok bank's main branch on silom road.

edit:  i only use my account for thailand based ATMs so don't care about the visa/union pay problem.

Edited by idannyb
did not add text

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

It helps if you do a little research first, using the banks websites to determine the types of accounts available depending on your Immigration status and documents required.

Typically in the west, we use a 'current', or 'personal' accounts for day to day banking and that is what many ask for when trying to open an account in Thailand. Usually you will then be asked if you have a work permit or PR status, because 'current' accounts in Thailand can usually only be opened by a Thai citizen, or a foreigner with a WP, or with PR status.

'Savings' accounts (with debit card) are usually offered to any foreigner, regardless of Immigration status, providing you can meet the conditions, which are Passport, proof of address and a reference.

Admitted, training is poor and you can be given incorrect information by the first assistant you speak to.

Do your research first, even print the conditions off if you need to and even ask for the manager.

I have done my research in person.  Foolish to believe some website info.

You did not answer my question.....

What is the branch, location and name of contact where your "friend " opened the account???

• Like 1

18 hours ago, idannyb said:

. I am inclined to go with Bangkok Bank

my recommendation; as a US Citizen i have used them for many years; their NYC Branch Bank means you can transfer monies using US Domestic wires and effect the deposits here;

my SSC benefits are direct deposited here thru that Branch Bank in NYC;

in fact, i seem to recall that the SSC office we have to use here (is actually in the philippines) recommended that route even before i could ask them if i could use it;

low service fee and reasonable exchange rate;

the bank may require you to sign and fill out a W-9 as thailand finally caved in to FATCA (USA Law);

this , applicable only to US citizens has been reported as a reason some banks prefer US Citizens less (as they are perceived as more trouble)

i didnt have to have that letter however it was some time ago;

expect having to pay a notary fee at the consulate/embassy 

I have opened bank accounts at Bangkok Bank with nothing but a 30 day stamp in my passport and a Certificate of Residence from Immigration.

I was renting a "Thai style" room at the time and the only thing in my name was the bill from the internet company I was using.
A few years later my dear old (long since departed) dad was turned down only because he had less than a week left on his 30 day stamp (but was able to open one within days of returning with a shiny new Non-O(A) Visa stamp in his passport). (He too was renting a "Thai style" room initially.)

Note: You can NOT open a "Chequing" account unless you have a work permit and visa. If I recall, you can't apply for a bank credit card either without having a work permit and visa. (You may be able to get a "pre-loaded" card at some banks though.)
However there doesn't seem to be any problems with opening a "Savings" account. People need to be clear about that when they ask. This is something that comes up almost every time there's a thread about people having problems opening accounts.
Also, you need an address. They won't open an account for people staying in hotels (and you won't get a Certificate of Residence either). 

Also, I was not able to get "internet access" when I only had a 30 day stamp. Once I had a year long "Extension of Stay" stamp there was no problem with getting set up for internet banking.

The branch I open my first account in was on Pattaya 2nd Road (78/14 Pattayasaisong Rd) near the intersection with Soi 16 (South Pattaya near Walking Street). Since then I've opened accounts at Siam Commercial (in TukCom - South Pattaya) as well as at Bangkok Bank branch on the Dark Side. (Again, all I had was a 30 day stamp at the time and a Certificate of Residence.)

16 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Many US citizens prefer Bangkok Bank because of the ease of transfer arrangements through their US branch.

Initially you need to open a Savings account (comes with debit card) but insist on Visa debit card (not Union Pay).

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx 

many banks don't give you any interest.

Bangkok bank, I only use short internet banking, and they give a card that can be used to buy things online.

They hold onto foreign transfers, so that they maker more money,  sometimes for months!

Thanks to all for the replies and helpful info.

A Bangkok Bank agent showed me a copy of another person's US Embassy Letter (she should not have shown me the letter as it contained PII, but they did). This letter was really just a 2-page form with 'text fill' boxes that needs to be officially signed off (notarized) by a US Embassy Official. Hopefully obtaining this will be a relatively painless process. I have an appointment @ the US Embassy on Jan 2. I won't have my formal condo rental contract 'in hand' until Jan 3 ... But with some persistence, hopefully I will be able me to open the account with these items: Passport + Embassy Letter + Rental Contract

Someone else asked if I am an "expat" or tourist? While I'm here in Thailand on a 90 tourist visa, I do some work (100% virtually w companies outside Thailand) and will need to travel to India and Australia and less frequently back to USA. Hence, I obtained only a Tourist Visa. I opted to rent a condo as it gives me a base to come back to (Bangkok) and my Thai fiancee (been together for 3 years) will stay in the condo when I am traveling abroad. My motivation for opening a Thai bank account is primarily to make it easier to pay the condo rent + True WiFi/TV/Mobile.

I expect I will be married next year and then retire here in the near future.

Thanks again for the helpful info.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Many US citizens prefer Bangkok Bank because of the ease of transfer arrangements through their US branch.

Initially you need to open a Savings account (comes with debit card) but insist on Visa debit card (not Union Pay).

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx 

Agree. Just try several branches in an area that is likely to have many farang accounts already. 

As Tanoshi said, you can then send deposits by domestic transfer from your US bank to the Bangkok Bank branch in New York, using the account number you've established here in Thailand. You get the baht deposit here in no more than a couple of days (depending on weekends and holidays here and the US). If you sign up for SMS messages for any account activity, you'll get a SMS message detailing the charges, the exchange rate used, the amount of the deposit and your new account balance. Very easy and convenient.

Never had a glitch in nearly 15 years.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, timendres said:

One other minor thing to note. As a US citizen, BKK Bank will insist that you complete a W-9 for the IRS.

Minor paperwork, but you will be asked questions on your tax return about foreign accounts.  

I never keep more then 5000 US in my account here.

21 hours ago, elviajero said:

My preference would be Bangkok Bank. But there's nothing stopping you opening both.

Mine as well, I have an account with Bangkok Bank and my SS Annuity  Check is automatically deposited in their branch in New York, I draw on it with a debit card, no bank charges.  I regularly transfer money between bank, Bangkok Bank is hassle free.  Opened it at  the Emporiium Branch in BKK with just my Passport, Visa page, and Htel address/phone number(on advice of a TVF member)  they speak english and are used to dealing with expats.