Obama urges "leaders" not to split society with online biases

webfact

Obama urges "leaders" not to split society with online biases

2017-12-27T122352Z_1_LYNXMPEDBQ0M3_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-OBAMA-PRINCE-HARRY.JPG

Britain's Prince Harry is seen interviewing former U.S. President Barack Obama, in Canada, in a 'Today Programme' exclusive, in this undated still image taken from video and received via 'The Today Programme on the BBC Radio 4' in London, Britain on December 27, 2017. BBC via REUTERS/Handout

LONDON (Reuters) - Former U.S. president Barack Obama said the way people communicate via social media risked splintering society and leaders had to ensure the Internet did not cocoon users within their own biases.

"All of us in leadership have to find ways in which we can recreate a common space on the Internet," Obama said in an interview conducted by Britain's Prince Harry, broadcast on BBC radio on Wednesday.

"One of the dangers of the Internet is that people can have entirely different realities, they can be just cocooned in information that reinforces their current biases."

Obama has previously warned that social media platforms can lead people to make snap judgements about complex decisions although he has refrained from criticising his successor Donald Trump who regularly uses Twitter.

Obama said in the interview broadcast on Wednesday that social media should promote diverse views in a way that "doesn't lead to a Balkanisation of our society" and moving online communities offline helped people to see that many issues were not as simple as they might seem in a chatroom.

"It's also by the way harder to be as obnoxious and cruel in person as people can be anonymously on the Internet," he said.

"Meet in the pub...Meet at a place of worship. Meet in a neighbourhood and get to know each other."

WEDDING DIPLOMACY?

Obama spoke to Harry in an interview conducted by the prince as a guest editor for BBC radio's daily morning news show and focused on their shared interest in promoting causes. The interview took place in September.

Harry was asked by the BBC whether he would invite the Obamas to his wedding next year with U.S. actress Meghan Markle.

"I don't know about that," Harry said. "We haven’t put the invites or the guest list together. Who knows whether they are going to be invited or not. I wouldn't want to ruin that surprise."

The Sun newspaper said on Tuesday that British government officials had urged Harry not to invite the Obamas to his wedding for fear of angering Trump.

In the BBC interview, Obama spoke of being able to take a longer-term view on issues such as climate change.

"Take some of the tragedies that have happened recently, with hurricanes devastating first Houston and parts of Florida and now Puerto Rico," he said.

"Today those aren’t my direct responsibilities but I can focus over the next 20 years in making sure that we don’t have more hurricanes and natural disasters that are accelerated as a consequence of climate change and the ability to focus long term I think is a great luxury."

(Writing by William Schomberg; Editing by Ralph Boulton)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-12-28

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

How much was the paycheck for the interview ?

And why meddle on how the Donald is doing the job ?

Everyone gets paid for these interviews so why pick on Obama.

As for ""meddling"" with Trump, the man brings everything on to himself

Ironically, the point made by the former US President in this interview, is on perfect display in this thread. 

The middle is where truth and solutions reside, but remains lost in the noise created by the extreme ends of the spectrum. You're either in or out.  Black or white.  With us or against us.  If you're not 100% on board with every talking point, then you are unceremoniously ejected and told to "F" Off and die.

Look who's talking!!!! He (and his buddy hillary) are the ones most guilty of dividing people online...by calling trump supporters the worst names imaginable. So none of it has been proved true....all their paid for dossiers aren't really doing the job they set out to do.

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

Look who's talking!!!! He (and his buddy hillary) are the ones most guilty of dividing people online...by calling trump supporters the worst names imaginable. So none of it has been proved true....all their paid for dossiers aren't really doing the job they set out to do.

Worst names imaginable?? Oh you poor little snowflake. I have some names for you guys that are much worse but using them would be against forum rules.

Why not comment on what Obama actually said instead? Both you and the man-child you support might actually learn something. When a highly intelligent and experienced person with morals opens his mouth that is usually the case.

Obama will, when History is written, go down as one of America's best Presidents.  While there maybe some who do not like his stand on certain issues his accomplishments are many; his decorum and representation of America abroad are impeccable and he is widely admired as a god and honest person.

9 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Did you listen to the interview? 

If you did you would realise that neither Mr Obama nor Prince Harry actually discussed Mr Trump.

5 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

Everyone gets paid for these interviews so why pick on Obama.

As for ""meddling"" with Trump, the man brings everything on to himself

I am not picking at anybody....but if you did care to read the topic you would have noticed that the article is about Obama...Happy Holidays.

9 hours ago, tonray said:

Because Donald is an embarrassment to all Americans ?

No natter the nationality, if a person behaves well in his interactions, home and abroad, remains friendly and polite, nothing can embarass such a person.

If a person behaves like a jerk, is rude, arrogant, caty, ranting, picking on others, either at home or abroad, not matter who his president is, such a person will be a embarassment and a shme to himself and his country.

One cannot judge a person just by his president back home,,..IMHO ?

Edited by observer90210

2 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Obama will, when History is written, go down as one of America's best Presidents.  While there maybe some who do not like his stand on certain issues his accomplishments are many; his decorum and representation of America abroad are impeccable and he is widely admired as a god and honest person.

I think you mean "good". Mind you there is a remote Pacific Island where the inhabitants reportedly regard Prince Harry's grandfather, Prince Phillip, as a God!

I listened to the interview, and I think you are spot on. A decent man. 

What is more, I doubt that he was paid for the interview. 

9 hours ago, observer90210 said:

If Harry was paid I am sure the money would have gone to a good cause, though the Beeb may well have hat to stump up for a few first class air fares, but there again Harry may well have been in Canada on personal business and not submitted an travel expense claim.

If you are so concerned why not submit a request for disclosure under the Freedom Of Information act...

8puyFbiI_bigger.jpg

Dinesh D'Souza Retweeted Washington Examiner

In other words, he does not appreciate his successor exposing his bad policies & abuses of power

Dinesh D'Souza added,

Washington ExaminerVerified account @dcexaminer
Obama warns against irresponsible use of social media by people in power http://washex.am/2lg3uPL 

9 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Ironically, the point made by the former US President in this interview, is on perfect display in this thread. 

The middle is where truth and solutions reside, but remains lost in the noise created by the extreme ends of the spectrum. You're either in or out.  Black or white.  With us or against us.  If you're not 100% on board with every talking point, then you are unceremoniously ejected and told to "F" Off and die.

Sometimes 'the middle' is the wise way to go.  Other times, like now, call for extreme measures.  When I see a group of people (led by dangerous dufus Trump) destroying the US, I don't choose the middle way.  Instead, I'm compelled to speak out as loudly and clearly as possible.

9 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

What name(s) has Obama used to describe Trump's brown shirts?  You can't name one.

As for HRC, 27 months ago she once used the term 'basket of deplorables.'  Obama and HRC are too decent to stoop to Trump's despicable level, but I'm not.  Think of the worst ways to describe a person, and that's how I describe Trump and his cabal.

15 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

How about 90% true?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-steele-dossier-russia-likely-true-british-spy-claims-a8057496.html

16 hours ago, ozziedave007 said:

Good to see the "Trump Derangement Syndrome" is alive and well in LOS. Meanwhile no war in Syria with the Russians and the Economy skyrockets. He would romp in an election tomorrow.

With approval ratings in the low 30s?  That's a different kind of Trump Derangement Syndrome you've got there.