Brits vs. Americans in Pattaya

bkk6060

8 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Exactly. Brits here don't care in the slightest what 'Mercuns think, 'cause they're considered stupid, ignorant, hillbillies. OP was just bait to draw out "Mercuns for another bash. Hence I'll bash Brits whenever I have the chance and always give a smile, as they do for 'Mercuns, at any misfortune that befalls them, often an arrest. :tongue:

I liked the Brits in Britain just fine, even the cop who almost turned my suitcase over to the bomb disposal unit when I'd left it just for a sec ouside a WHSmith; and I did, incredibly, meet an urbane, well-mannered Oxford-educated Brit once in Pattaya who could speak English and carry on an intelligent conversation. But the others in Pattaya, as on the forum, just seem uniformly vile--arrogant, provincial, snide know-it-alls and blowhards. I speak from many years' experience. Remember, "You can take a Brit out of the council estate, but you can't get the council estate out of the Brit." And of course whinging, constantly. As is noted by a Brit researcher recently,

BRITAIN is a nation of moaners who complain more than 70 times a week each.

Researchers found our love of complaining, like Disney dwarf Grumpy and TV’s Victor Meldrew, means we grumble at least 11 times every weekday and 16 times over the weekend.

It also emerged we will already have had three grumbles before we even leave the house in the morning.

In fact, Brits complain so much that more than three quarters admit to having a moan about other people moaning or complaining.

--http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/415315/british-nation-moaners-people-complain-more-than-70-times-week-each

My advice to 'Mercun newbies to the forum is that they should realize that it's war with the Brits here, who greatly outnumber us. Avoid mention of 'Mercun companies and esp. do not mention anything good about the USA or anything you might be (stupidly) proud of in relation to that country. Otherwise, be prepared for a bash. Start regretting that WWII help (should have let the Russians handle it, as all forum Brits know would have done the trick anyway), the war debt forgiveness, etc. Don't bother trying to talk to a Brit if you run across one (or esp. several) in bar, either. Learned that early on. That said, if they're not English, but, say, Scottish you might be able to have a real conversation if you can get past the accent.

It's 'murcans. not 'Mercuns... unless you want to be confused forever with a merkin

a-merkin_o_1061261.jpg.f88318d7d2422f0c0e3813688dbfb71b.jpg

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In any social (bar) engagement, it's always the drunkest who venture to ask if I'm American right out of the box. To me, that's a hint the conversation is trending downhill because, I know you're going to be shocked by this revelation, but alcohol loosens judgement. I pretty much know how it's going to go after that, until I tell them I'm from Canada, which I am. Then it's all friends and handshakes.

But this type of aggressive opening has been rare over the years here. But it's also peculiar to Thailand expats. Not happened in the years of living in Cambodia or Vietnam.

Also, you're bound to bump into knuckleheads of different nationalities in beer bars and soi plastic stool operations, etc. I've met the occasional annoying Canuck, too. I don't hang out in either any more. That said, you don't have much choice in Pattaya (which I've since left).

47 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It's 'murcans. not 'Mercuns... unless you want to be confused forever with a merkin

That's excellent as usual but too much of a stretch. I'll be willing to leave off the beginning apostrophe for you. Reminds me of one of the purposes of Brits abroad: To teach non-native speakers the incorrect spelling and pronunciation of words like "aluminum" before Mercuns can teach them the correct ones.

I think some of the Brits are upset at the U.S. ( for good reason) for dragging them into that absurd invasion of Iraq by that idiot Bush.

Other than that reason the Brits do seem to have hostility problems most likely related to a  smoking and drinking lifestyle 

1 minute ago, morrobay said:

I think some of the Brits are upset at the U.S. ( for good reason) for dragging them into that absurd invasion of Iraq by that idiot Bush.

Other than that reason the Brits do seem to have hostility problems most likely related to a  smoking and drinking lifestyle 

Tony Blair dragged us into the Iraq debacle, not the US. I would say most Brits are gratefull to the Americans, the only ones that are not are the ones with short memories.

Don't go into bars and you will find nice people of all nationalities.

People everywhere complain and occasionally mock each other, but some Brits seem to enjoy this behavior non stop. Some would say you should toughen up and get used to it, but I disagree. Negativity is toxic and beyond that, it just isn't any fun. It's a big town just keep moving till you find someplace that suits you. 

The majority of ‘intelligent’ Brits know who enemy no1 is in reference to that issue, my Tony Blair probably one of the most despised men in the U.K. although I agree the pair of poodles Bush & Blair are idiots.

I spent my fair share of time in that dusty AOR to know a good working relationship between the US, Canadian & Dutch troops during those early Telic days.

I’ll never forget departing a plane at Baghdad Int Airport to be immediately approached by two US personnel & sharing a brew within the confines of the safe area before departing to SC area.

(Apology for thread drift)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, citybiker said:

The majority of ‘intelligent’ Brits know who enemy no1 is in reference to that issue, my Tony Blair probably one of the most despised men in the U.K. although I agree the pair of poodles Bush & Blair are idiots.

I spent my fair share of time in that dusty AOR to know a good working relationship between the US, Canadian & Dutch troops during those early Telic days.

I’ll never forget departing a plane at Baghdad Int Airport to be immediately approached by two US personnel & sharing a brew within the confines of the safe area before departing to SC area.

Need to bring back Margaret Thatcher.....the alliance with Ronald Ray-gun was second to none!

I say this as a Brit

There is tendency for people who cannot climb the ladder and achieve anything, to try to drag "better" people down to their level.

My advice when anyone begins with 

"are you American?"

"Oh don't tell me....you're a Yank knocker....heard it all before....excuse me if I nip this in the bud.....and finish my drink alone.....no offense intended"

These bar bores are just that .....

"Bar Bores"

Not every Brit is an American hater....

nor for that matter 

Michael Buble.   A good entertainer

who as it happens has a poorly son

Need to bring back Margaret Thatcher.....the alliance with Ronald Ray-gun was second to none!

I'm not sure even Maggie could handle British politics of today.

Anyway, as for the American-British debate part.... I still enjoy visiting America, it's customs, traditions and its people (not music though sorry)

Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin or elsewhere, personally I've never had an issue.

On 12/28/2017 at 8:21 PM, bkk6060 said:

Several times in the last couple months at a sports bar or restaurant, I have been asked by a Brit if I am from America .

Not sure why you would want to spend your time in places that (apparently) are awash in farangs. If you think you're seeking out like-minded people for comfort, how's that working out for you? Sounds like you're being masochistic.

Once a year I have to attend the US Embassy outreach ... obviously I'm American. Always try to get there early and leave early. That many Americans in a confined space is definitely stressful. Thankfully I never have to be anywhere with a high concentration of Brits.

Taken in small numbers Americans or Brits can be pleasant, but anywhere they congregate in number should be avoided and if either eagerly approaches you at speed and smiling , RUN. The Americans will want to tell you all about themselves in endless excruciating detail and the Brits will want to argue about anything and everything.

20 hours ago, citybiker said:

I just posted this yesterday in another sub forum, but it pretty much applies to your experiences.

Sometimes we are all mates, it's just that senses of humour are a bit different at times........:thumbsup:

61497210f0bc824c23f585a6b378a6e0.jpg.34a635d6216d23fe8f62acd9105fdd9d.jpg

Apology for the thread drift also.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:22 PM, torrzent said:

LOL, am guessing this is  troll baiting as it is too obvious with all the usual caricatures....James Dean or jack Nicholson would not be concerned, so rest easy if you want to be cool Mr Bean!

Most POM s bash the stands on TV, I don’t follow or comment on here much anymore, the Brits can be Whingers, if someone bashed the States, it’s like a pile on to bash, kinda like when you see 12 Thais jumping on a Farang in a fight

53 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Taken in small numbers Americans or Brits can be pleasant, but anywhere they congregate in number should be avoided and if either eagerly approaches you at speed and smiling , RUN. The Americans will want to tell you all about themselves in endless excruciating detail and the Brits will want to argue about anything and everything.

Ain't that the truth. But in small numbers as well.

6 hours ago, citybiker said:

Anyway, as for the American-British debate part.... I still enjoy visiting America, it's customs, traditions and its people (not music though sorry)

Let's keep in mind that the USA is the #2 retirement destination for Brits after Australia, where they're known as Whinging Poms. Lot of jokes devoted to that topic, the classic being

"How do you know when a planeload of Poms has landed.....?"

"The engine stops but the whining noise goes on....."smile.gif

1 minute ago, catman20 said:

thats the sort of crap you have to listen to if you drink in any bars, im a Brit i only drink in gogo bar to avoids people talking to me, people their only interested in the girls. try it, ull see it works.:smile:

finally a philosopher has arrived! 

2 minutes ago, torrzent said:

absolutely right, I would be constantly fixing your horrendous grammar, but I bet everyone thinks you sexy man number 1!

my grammar never stopped me becoming successful in life and retiring at 40. but thanks for you concern.:cheesy:

On 12/28/2017 at 10:19 PM, beachproperty said:

I agree with the OP!....My neighbor is British and the very first words out of his mouth when he first met me was " I hear you are a man that's NOT to be trusted" ... And that was 10 years ago.....Why would I even want to associate with such an A----hole?

in general though the usual expat is a loser :shock1: Whether American or British, he usually is living on a pension and from paycheck to paycheck. That can be very stressful!

OK,   I get it..

Poverty is a passport to acting as the OP referenced?

Archived