Schoolboy, 8, hands in 40,000 baht at Tesco Lotus - and he's happy with 20 baht reward!

webfact

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, malibukid said:

roughly 10%. fair. common in the States

Oh, so you were referring to the paucity of generosity on behalf of the owner of the B40,000. Thanks.

Even B1000 would have been decent, but B20 was a slap in the kids face even though he says he didn't feel it.

17 minutes ago, malibukid said:

i tip 20%, i hear the English never tip?

Honestly, I believe this is a different principal at work here. It is a reward, not a tip for food service. Found cash deserves a nice reward. It is only reasonable. I would say a minimum of 1,000 baht. As much as 4,000 baht would have been a very nice gesture. Just think of the impression it would have made on this boy's family, and those in the store. Instead, Grinch made the same impression he has made his entire life. None. None whatsoever. It was as if he was not even there. A ghost. An empty suit. A vampire. 

Years back in Phuket, I had an early morning call from a Thai friend who had a drinks and beach  chair buisness on Kata beach. I went to see him and he showed me a wallet that he’d found, stuffed with big dollar bills and credit cards. No address, no hotel cards to say who’s it was. He didn’t want to hand it to a policeman.So I suggested we start asking in the nearby hotels receptions If anyone had lost a wallet. An hour later, luck. We asked to see his passport to check the name with the credit cards. He was practically speechless! He’d come back to his hotel via the beach the night before, sat down to smoke a cigarette, and that’s  when the wallet probably fell out. He didn’t miss it until the morning, when he completely freaked out, having lost all his holiday money ! Had kissed it goodbye! He asked my friend OTT what he would like as a reward, which of course he replied “ nothing”. I then said that Ott loved a good whisky, and the man smiled, and said he’d come back later that day. He did. He brought with him a more than half empty bottle of gin. I cannot tell you how speechless I was, and how embarrassed to witness such a disgusting mean action. I feel bad about it to this day. 

1 minute ago, geisha said:

Years back in Phuket, I had an early morning call from a Thai friend who had a drinks and beach  chair buisness on Kata beach. I went to see him and he showed me a wallet that he’d found, stuffed with big dollar bills and credit cards. No address, no hotel cards to say who’s it was. He didn’t want to hand it to a policeman.So I suggested we start asking in the nearby hotels receptions If anyone had lost a wallet. An hour later, luck. We asked to see his passport to check the name with the credit cards. He was practically speechless! He’d come back to his hotel via the beach the night before, sat down to smoke a cigarette, and that’s  when the wallet probably fell out. He didn’t miss it until the morning, when he completely freaked out, having lost all his holiday money ! Had kissed it goodbye! He asked my friend OTT what he would like as a reward, which of course he replied “ nothing”. I then said that Ott loved a good whisky, and the man smiled, and said he’d come back later that day. He did. He brought with him a more than half empty bottle of gin. I cannot tell you how speechless I was, and how embarrassed to witness such a disgusting mean action. I feel bad about it to this day. 

Oh dear oh dear!  I think humanity as a whole would be OK if it wasn't for the people!

The owner could have lost B40,000 and to give the B20 is an insult to the boys honesty. I know it might have been risky to give the boy more than say B100 because other kids might have bullied him...yes I know, unlikely...but there was nothing stopping the owner from contacting the boys parents then handing a reward of B500 or more. I bet the boy's parents had something to say to their son.

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Disgraceful.

I know a reward is  the choice of the person to whom the money was returned, but it would have been better not to give a reward, than insult him with 20 baht.

I would have told them to stick it.......................... (you know the rest !). 

Yes but you are not an 8 year old Thai boy.

1 minute ago, jvs said:

Yes but you are not an 8 year old Thai boy.

Meaning that the 'loser' (what an appropriate term) was OK in taking advantage of the finder because the latter was just a kid? I think you're missing the point about principles here.

4 minutes ago, Essaybloke said:

Meaning that the 'loser' (what an appropriate term) was OK in taking advantage of the finder because the latter was just a kid? I think you're missing the point about principles here.

No i do not think i am missing the point.A person who is comparing himself to an 8 year old Thai boy is missing the point!Imo.

]

11 minutes ago, jvs said:

No i do not think i am missing the point.A person who is comparing himself to an 8 year old Thai boy is missing the point!Imo.

]

Ha ha OK. I hope you don't catch a bus to work. You just missed two! Happy new year anyway!

I found a big fat wallet(don’t know how much it contained but it looked stuffed)in the bathroom of a bar down on Sukumvit(Gullivers),and just took it over to the ladies behind the bar. They went threw it to find an Id and found the guy, and the look on his face was worth the contents. 

Any way, he paid my tab, and bought an extra beer on top.

Fair enough.