High season in full swing in Pattaya

Rimmer

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/11/2018 at 12:56 AM, newnative said:

Agree.  It's a terrific space with awesome views of the bay, islands, and the Pattaya shore and skyline.   Lots of potential being ignored.

No. Call me naive, but how about they are taking the time to plan?

Over developing a place with a great view or allowing big condo towers to be built that blocks the view out over the water is the worst thing they can do. The giant condo that is SW of the BH pier is a prime example of what not to allow. Imagine the negative impact if the pier zone gets boxed in by monstrosities like that. The traffic in that area is bad enough, but imagine if 3-5 more towers like that go up. Even the Pattaya sign would be obstructed. The  immediate area  around the  pier should be developed as walking and leisure sitting areas to allow more enjoyment of the  view. Adding bars and restaurants and the resulting litter and waste  will  just ruin the place.

6 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Hence you can't use expressions such as "my hotel" or "my apartment" either, unless you actually own said properties. :laugh:

Maybe we'll all forsake common usage and say "my adopted town" to make you feel more comfortable--since you seem so worried about the applicability if the town is in Thailand.

Maybe if I use "my town" in the body of my posts I should place an *asterisk next to it with an explanatory note below stating I don't own the town and I'm not a citizen, so as not to mislead anyone. I must say there are many over sensitive people living in my town*

Notes

* I am not a citizen and don't own this town. I don't even own my apartment.

7 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

No. Call me naive, but how about they are taking the time to plan?

Over developing a place with a great view or allowing big condo towers to be built that blocks the view out over the water is the worst thing they can do. The giant condo that is SW of the BH pier is a prime example of what not to allow. Imagine the negative impact if the pier zone gets boxed in by monstrosities like that. The traffic in that area is bad enough, but imagine if 3-5 more towers like that go up. Even the Pattaya sign would be obstructed. The  immediate area  around the  pier should be developed as walking and leisure sitting areas to allow more enjoyment of the  view. Adding bars and restaurants and the resulting litter and waste  will  just ruin the place.

Not sure what you are saying 'no' to.  In my short post I said nothing about adding highrise condos or bars--just said a lot of potential was being ignored.  Right now the shore side is being improved with a walkway and palm trees.  As you stroll along and look out to the bay you see a beautiful vista--islands, boats, Pattaya shoreline/skyline, etc.  (Hopefully they will get rid of all the junk still right along the shore and fix the pier.)

Turning to the opposite direction, inland, what is the view?  A motley collection of very ugly, run-down low-rise buildings housing marine departments, some messy boat storage, and assorted other junky, unattractive stuff.  Why not replace all this with a new, low-rise mix of buildings 3 to 5 stories high housing the marine operations on the upper floors, maybe some apartments/condos on the upper floors of some of the buildings as well, and on the ground floors some restaurants, pastry, ice cream, and coffee shops, etc., and some upscale retail? 

Plenty of activity on Naklua beach yesterday , mostly Russian families and Germans.  The beach looks clean and I did not see any trash . Lots of people were also swimming . 

It looked almost like a paradise.  Why people still choose Pattaya beach is a mystery ,  maybe they never heard of Naklua.

2018-01-13_15.43.26.jpg

12 hours ago, balo said:

Plenty of activity on Naklua beach yesterday , mostly Russian families and Germans.  The beach looks clean and I did not see any trash . Lots of people were also swimming . 

It looked almost like a paradise.  Why people still choose Pattaya beach is a mystery ,  maybe they never heard of Naklua.

2018-01-13_15.43.26.jpg

Shhhhhh..... don't advertise it. You want to destroy your little paradise?

Edited by tropo

13 hours ago, balo said:

2018-01-13_15.43.26.jpg

Let's keep it a mystery. 

Just now, newnative said:

Let's keep it a mystery. 

Over time I have come to like Nakula.  Good for a slower relaxed day.  You may be right in that a share of tourists don' t know much about it.

But one who knows the place it is no "mystery" that it is a total bore.

That can be a good thing for some.

I think most who come here want to feel the "buzz".  The Pattaya Beach buzz!

The only buzz I get at Nakula are all the flies buzzing around my head...

On 1/15/2018 at 2:07 AM, tropo said:

Maybe if I use "my town" in the body of my posts I should place an *asterisk next to it with an explanatory note below stating I don't own the town and I'm not a citizen, so as not to mislead anyone. I must say there are many over sensitive people living in my town*

Notes

* I am not a citizen and don't own this town. I don't even own my apartment.

High five to all our cesspoolians for whom Pattaya is Our Town*! :thumbsup:

*We don't own this town or any other town publicly owned. Willie Nelson used to own Cal's Corner, TX, however. 

21 hours ago, balo said:

2018-01-13_15.43.26.jpg

Naklua's got quite a number of lovely Russian wimmen roaming around too. With T21 coming, what's not to like, except of course go-go bars. Had one years ago but it left as the German wave receded. 

On 1/11/2018 at 2:25 AM, torrzent said:

Do you still use an abacus for banking, or is it the fingers and toes method?

Quite what fully grown men posting pictures of themselves on facebook then using it as a gauge of tourist numbers and banking methods is hardly an appropriate analogy. 

Groomers paradise.

Tried to have the buffet at the Hilton today. Packed out, no room and a large group waiting. Never seen it so crowded. Went to Hippo instead, lot of space there. Afterwards, went to Starbucks (in the mall). Packed out! No space for two at a table. Went instead to the new Starbucks branch out front. Also crowded, got the last two seats. Lots of Thais, Chinese, and other Asians, but European-types as well everytwhere.

Just now, JSixpack said:

Tried to have the buffet at the Hilton today. Packed out, no room and a large group waiting. Never seen it so crowded. Went to Hippo instead, lot of space there. Afterwards, went to Starbucks (in the mall). Packed out! No space for two at a table. Went instead to the new Starbucks branch out front. Also crowded, got the last two seats. Lots of Thais, Chinese, and other Asians, but European-types as well everytwhere.

Yes packed today.

If one is actually looking for a quiet Starbucks, the new one on Beach rd. just north of Soi 6 is big 2 levels and mostly empty and quiet. Just sayin.

But not the same views as Central. :)

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

If one is actually looking for a quiet Starbucks

One of the "secret" Starbucks locations with a view that not so many are aware of is the branch up in 3rd floor Royal Garden , next to the food court.   

They have a terrace outside with tables , so you can sit there and watch the sunset . Never crowded there, at least when I have visited. 

Edited by balo

3 hours ago, balo said:

One of the "secret" Starbucks locations with a view that not so many are aware of is the branch up in 3rd floor Royal Garden , next to the food court.   

They have a terrace outside with tables , so you can sit there and watch the sunset . Never crowded there, at least when I have visited. 

Let's hope they get enough of a crowd to pay their bills, otherwise, you'll have to go to busy branches. At least you guys live here full time, so you can enjoy coffee at home when it's too crowded out and about.

19 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Just a possibility, but I believe there are more places than the Hilton and Starbucks in the mall in Pattaya. How are they all doing?

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just a possibility, but I believe there are more places than the Hilton and Starbucks in the mall in Pattaya.

Possible, yes. Have you looked lately? The ol' eyesight & all.

How are they all doing?

Sorry to disappoint you, but they seemed to be doing well as one might expect. Starbucks is a good indicator as patrons tend to be mall shoppers as well. And the mall was a madhouse at Christmas, esp for the after-Christmas sales. It seems your Stall Indicator Of Doom trotted out for the stalls outside the 2nd Rd mall entrance was of course yet another dud, justly laughed at when you created it.