New year's eve - I will drive after drinking, what about you ?

dpdp

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, its 10:30 am and so far everybody is in virtuous mode and claim to not drink and drive.

Hmmm.

I guess the drinkers and drivers are all still recovering in bed from last night and will be up around lunch time to make their contributions.

:cheesy:

My personal observation where I live is that 99% of guys who venture out in the evening, have a meal or visit a bar, drink and drive. Indeed I know a number of bikers. None of them go to a bar and not drink and ride. None whatsoever.

"Only had a couple and it's not far to get home".

14 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Or when we could drink large amounts without feeling the after effects. LOL.

Yep, this is a total bummer nowadays. Must have been around my mid-fifties when I noticed I was not exactly very chirpie in the morning after just a couple of beers.

As I like to have a couple in the evening for relaxation to get me to sleep, the muggy head is the penalty I have to put up with.

But four large beers wipes out the whole of the next day.

The problem with planning around drinking and driving is that the best intentions (and reasonable judgement) often go out the window after a few...

I was tickled when I first joined AA and found out they refer to NYE as "Amateur Night".

53 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Yep, this is a total bummer nowadays. Must have been around my mid-fifties when I noticed I was not exactly very chirpie in the morning after just a couple of beers.

Didn't coincide with a change in beer brands, did it?   Or a change in your brand's taste, indicating they changed the mix?   It may not be age.

11 minutes ago, impulse said:

Didn't coincide with a change in beer brands, did it?   Or a change in your brand's taste, indicating they changed the mix?   It may not be age.

I don't think so. It is a known issue of getting older, along with bunch more.

But it might be worth experimenting.............

Indeed, the idea appeals so much that it will become my New Year's Resolution. :burp:

14 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I don't drink. To me anything alcoholic tastes like garbage and I like sugar..... so I'll drink Bailey's occasionally because it's......sweet.

But I can't even drink that because I have GERD.

So, I'll stuff myself with chocolates before midnight.

Chocolate is terrible for GERD... I don't like the taste of alcohol either but I also like a malibu/sapporot once every couple of months.. -- but what will take away the Gerd is omeprazole - - I took prilosec in West but here they have many generics that are very cheap. Gaster is one. Now I can drink coffee, orange juice - whatever and no symptoms. 

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Laudable sentiments, but sadly my experience has been that the  tuk tuk drivers here will have been drinking too. I'm doing seafood tonight intown and will then probably walk the 30 minutes home and avoid crossing roads around here for obvious reasons.

Good geriatrickid , before commenting I was looking for  one about getting a taxi home from one of the many drunk taxi drivers .

As for me and a very good mate along with his wife and 3 adopted kids will meet me at Pizza Corner at 6 pm , another mate will turn up on his CRF .  Motor bike mate will bring one beer , us 4 old uns will have about 2 glasses of wine each with pizza.  If this is drink driving so be it. More wine will see in the NY but they will be stopping over at my place.

Oh Pizza Corner is opposite a police box , they all stay inside it these cold nights.

9 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I took prilosec in West but here they have many generics that are very cheap. Gaster is one. Now I can drink coffee, orange juice - whatever and no symptoms. 

Miracid is the most widely available in Thailand, and always works for me.  The others I've tried are hit and miss.  80 baht for 14 at Boots for a pricing reference (120 baht at the Airport Boots). 

You should be aware that the GERD may still be present, just not as painful with less acid produced because of the Omeprazole.  Still smart to have it looked at every once in a while for potential esophagus issues.   I had my endoscope done in May this year...

Edit:  Had both ends scoped the same day.  I sure hope they did the esophagus before the colonoscopy.  Or at least, changed cameras.  I counted backwards to 93 or so, and was out for the rest of it...

Edited by impulse

Friday night, Soi Bukhaow in Pattaya, spent about 15 minutes trying to flag down a songtheaw for a straight-down-the-road run (I can't walk it, or use motosai's).  When the supposed public transport doesn't stop for you,  I can quite understand the need to take your own transport, I was wishing I had!

Got home eventually, swearing under my breath.  :mad:

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Miracid is the most widely available in Thailand, and always works for me.  The others I've tried are hit and miss.  80 baht for 14 at Boots for a pricing reference (120 baht at the Airport Boots). 

You should be aware that the GERD may still be present, just not as painful with less acid produced because of the Omeprazole.  Still smart to have it looked at every once in a while for potential esophagus issues.   I had my endoscope done in May this year...

Omeprazole is an acid inhibitor... so, should be no acid produced... I had bad oesophageal issues which stopped when I started taking the omeprazole... if I stop for even one day, the Gerd will return. That said, you are supposed to take the omeprazole for a two week course and I am near twenty years now... thankfully, I can both eat and sleep - so, it has been worth it. The GERD was unbearable. 

When I think back to my young foolish days used to drink with. Guys who would drive as well never worried about the consequences if caught by

police or involved in a accident 

as luck would have it nothing happened on the above

now older wiser plus have family would  never Drink and Drive

think of others first 

can always relax and enjoy having   a drink after finishing the driving 

18 hours ago, djayz said:

Personally, I believe that drink driving is a fool's game - irrespective of country or nationality! I like to drink and I like to drive, but I never drink drive! 

This year, like most years, I'll be ringing in the new year close to home so I can have my usual 2 or 3 bottles of beer Chang and then just walk home. 

Whoa now you party animal, 2 or 3 bottles of Chang?

This time of year is more worrying than normal,as my daughter finishes work 

at the hotel about 10-11 ,and comes home on her motorbike,the thought of

those @rseholes who take no responsibility and drink and drive sometimes

to excess,and her been on the same roads,is frightening. 

The Government's tough policy on drink driving seems to have been watered

down,so if your caught,it seems the penalty is doing social service,not good enough.

regards worgeordie         Happy New Year  and don't drink and drive

17 hours ago, dpdp said:

Enjoy your boring life with you family I guess.

Family is the worst thing that could happen to me and anybody with a brain.

My aren't you judgemental. Just because you may have had bad experiences with family, doesn't mean all of us have. And, if someone cannot make the right decisions about family, it seems they would be the ones without brain.

45 minutes ago, impulse said:

Edit:  Had both ends scoped the same day.  I sure hope they did the esophagus before the colonoscopy.  Or at least, changed cameras.  I counted backwards to 93 or so, and was out for the rest of it...

Ripoff. I pay 30 baht at the local pharmacy for miracid and 15 baht for generic ranitidine (pack of 10).

15 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I don't drink. To me anything alcoholic tastes like garbage and I like sugar..... so I'll drink Bailey's occasionally because it's......sweet.

But I can't even drink that because I have GERD.

So, I'll stuff myself with chocolates before midnight.

No wonder you have GERD eating too much before sleeping i.e. lying horizontal will encourage the rise of stomach acids 

2 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Ripoff. I pay 30 baht at the local pharmacy for miracid and 15 baht for generic ranitidine (pack of 10).

That's why I said it's a pricing reference.   I've gotten it as low as 50 baht, but the $0.90 savings isn't worth much time and effort in the BKK heat, plus the risk that I'd be buying fakes at an unknown pharmacy.

Ranitidine is in a different class of acid reducers, so it's not a fair comparison.  It's an H2 blocker, where Miracid is a PPI (proton pump inhibitor).  The best deal out there is baking soda by the pound, but that's in another class...

The OP's point that many foreigners violate traffic safety laws here is well taken.

I have seen plenty of examples of guys getting behind the wheel after afternoon drinking sessions, talking on the their phones while driving, riding around on motorcycles without a helmet, not wearing their seat belts, driving without a valid licence and uninsured, poorly maintaining their vehicle, transporting a dozen people in the back of their pickup, bragging about the land speed record they just set between point A and point B, etc., etc.

Safety starts with each of us.

Wishing everyone a safe and Happy New Year.

I won't drink and drive, period. I'll drink at home and have a comfortable bed to sleep in.

Looking at the scorecard of Thai road deaths and injuries, I'd say it's sensible just to stay put and listen to the ambulance music.

3 hours ago, Digitalnomadthailand said:

I would have thought most expatriates would have their own cars and drivers anyway, thus why would one need to drink and drive anyway ?

Where did you get the idea most expats employ drivers? All the expats I know or have seen drive their own cars and motorbikes. Dare I suggest most are safer drivers than the average Thai.

I quit drinking alcohol in Thailand a while ago, so I won't be drinking/driving. Prior to that, I used to drink in my garden at home which was much safer and more pleasant.

Where we are, we have a huge sugar factory nearby and the roads have been very much improved and made more accessible leading to a big influx on minor roads, near our home, of 12 and 16 wheeler trucks taking shortcuts going to and from the local sugar factory. Those beasts are terrifying to me on the roads.

There is too much information out there these days informing us all of the dangers and hazards.