Phuket accommodation at 90 per cent capacity

rooster59

Phuket accommodation at 90 per cent capacity

By The Nation

Hotels and resorts in Phuket have reported 90 per cent booking rates for the New Year holidays, a senior official said.

Kanokkittika Kritwutthiorn, director of the Phuket office of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, said Phuket was bustling with visitors for the New Year holidays with a huge number of arrivals by foreign tourists.

She said the occupation rate was about 10 per cent higher than last year, and tourists had come from China, Russia, Australia and Europe.

Good preparations by the hospitality industry and improved airport facilities, as well as increased confidence, had contributed to the rise in the number of foreign tourist arrivals, she added.

Phuket Old Town area will be the venue for the “Amazing Thailand Countdown 2018 @ Phuket” at the Charter intersection on New Year’s Eve, Kanokkittika said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30335108

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-30

I noticed that hotel prices for anything I considered decent with a pool, balcony and within walking distance of the nightlife, Jungceylon and the Beach is starting to creep well over 3,000 baht a night between the 22nd and 28th, considering it was half the price in June, no pint in complaining, because I am going to need to find breakfast as its not included....lol

2 hours ago, bridge2bridge said:

AH! the old TAT numbers.

ALWAYS higher than the truth.

My friend has lived in Phuket for 20 years.

And he said the HIGH Tourist numbers are now OVER.

Just look on the Hotel booking sites.

There are plenty of vacancies.

Ah, the old Thaivisa member's "friend's " numbers?  Always reliable, aren't they?

Where did it say that there weren't plenty of vacancies?

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Ah, the old Thaivisa member's "friend's " numbers?  Always reliable, aren't they?

Where did it say that there weren't plenty of vacancies?

A 90% booking rate strongly infers that there are not plenty of vacancies. (I’ll give a pass for relying on this inference ???)

Mind you, I’m still very skeptical about the claim, given numbers on the street or in restaurants, here abouts.... but then, outside of rawai pier and cape promphep, the southern end of Phuket island is usually much quieter than other areas anyway. (Thank goodness.)

Booking.com is showing a 90% reserved rate for tonight, which, to me, corroborates the figures in the original article. 

Booking.com is by far the biggest online hotel booking site so it's figure is probably a fair reflection of Phuket as a whole.

A quick look on the available places in Karon/Kata, the area I know best, shows most places have just one or maybe two rooms available tonight, possibly as a result of late cancellations and no-shows being reallocated, a few guesthouses with poor review scores, dorm beds plus some resorts charging stupid prices: 31,250 baht for one night at the Horizon resort, for example! 

Mmmm. 

Did the airlines schedule any extra flights?  If not, were empty planes suddenly full, or full planes more full?  :smile:

Was the bridge in gridlock, for hours?

Was there a queue of boats at pier/s?

How did all these extra people get here????

Perhaps they got here with the stoke of pen / keyboard.  :cheesy:

No doubt the large multi national hotels are full, but the whole island at "90  per cent capacity" - I find that hard to believe. 

For Phuket to experience 90% capacity, it would be something like a Full Moon party on Koh Pha-ngan.  There would be a massive influx that would be very noticeable.

59 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

Mmmm. 

<snip>

No doubt the large multi national hotels are full, but the whole island at "90  per cent capacity" - I find that hard to believe. 

Yep ... no doubt the big chain with very good marketing all doing well. The rest are struggling ,,, 

6 hours ago, farcanell said:

A 90% booking rate strongly infers that there are not plenty of vacancies. (I’ll give a pass for relying on this inference ???)

Mind you, I’m still very skeptical about the claim, given numbers on the street or in restaurants, here abouts.... but then, outside of rawai pier and cape promphep, the southern end of Phuket island is usually much quieter than other areas anyway. (Thank goodness.)

It may "strongly infer" that to you but it didn't state that.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

It may "strongly infer" that to you but it didn't state that.

I’m pretty sure that 90% full, strongly infers a lack of vacancies to everybody.... except you, apparently

if TAT ( whom you seem to believe, unlike most) had said 99% booked, you could still argue that the article did not state there was a lack of vacancies... but the reality, oh the reality

if TAT said 99.9% booked.... you could still argue that they didn’t state there was a lack of vacancies... reality just got stupid!

ergo inferences are nessesary.... and quite easy to understand. For example (left field, really weird stuff) ..... “90% booked” implies a lack of available hotel rooms. 

I know!

weird hey!

youll catch on with time.... 

19 hours ago, farcanell said:

I’m pretty sure that 90% full, strongly infers a lack of vacancies to everybody.... except you, apparently

if TAT ( whom you seem to believe, unlike most) had said 99% booked, you could still argue that the article did not state there was a lack of vacancies... but the reality, oh the reality

if TAT said 99.9% booked.... you could still argue that they didn’t state there was a lack of vacancies... reality just got stupid!

ergo inferences are nessesary.... and quite easy to understand. For example (left field, really weird stuff) ..... “90% booked” implies a lack of available hotel rooms. 

I know!

weird hey!

youll catch on with time.... 

"I’m pretty sure that 90% full, strongly infers a lack of vacancies to everybody..."

It doesn't, by definition.  If you think that it does then your understanding of the English language leaves a lot to be desired.  What it states (infers, if you like) is that 10% of accommodation is available.

"if TAT ( whom you seem to believe, unlike most) had said 99% booked..."

TAT didn't say that, so your point is meaningless.  And just because you think that most (here) do not believe TAT doesn't make them correct!  What's the phrase that I'm looking for here...?  Oh, yes, the reality.

"ergo inferences are nessesary.... "

No, in this case they're not, they're completely superfluous.

“90% booked” implies a lack of available hotel rooms".

No, it doesn't...I know, weird hey?  You'll catch on with time.... 

Edited by Just Weird